Author Topic: Just bought a X90 help please  (Read 4472 times)

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
Just bought a X90 help please
« on: April 24, 2017, 07:15:00 pm »
Guys, i got sick of the expanencial increase in second hand motorcycles so i went for a car as a backup vehicle. There is some logic here as after a visit from my mate on Sunday he seemed really keen after i was showing him some YouTube clips of the LE, Exeter, Edinburgh etc. He said if i got a car he would definitely be my passenger. Another potential member?

So i bought this X90 and i haven't a clue how to prepare it.

Any help would be much appreciated

Cheers
Jason

Ps. It says it's 2WD but i thought they were all 4WD???

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
Re: Just bought a X90 help please
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 07:14:05 am »
Congratulations on the new X-90, though, let's hope you don't totally desert the bike classes. From something Simon told me, they need some work to make them competitive; whatever that entails  :-[ .

By the way, you were dead lucky that you inadvertently bought a 2WD.  A 4WD, or one that has been converted to 2WD is prohibited under item K in the MCC SSRs, i.e. 'Any four wheel drive vehicle modified to operate in two wheel drive is prohibited. Vehicles originally supplied in two wheel drive only from a model range including four wheel drive versions will be eligible.'.

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 06:48:17 pm »
hey Paul, no chance of me giving up on 2 wheels, just having a quick dabble with 4 to see if i cant get my mate Steve into a bit of trialing.

the car looks in reasonably good condition and i'm about to give it a good service. it was cheap and only about 15 miles from where i live so thought i'd take a punt.  ;)

but apart from the usual service stuff i dont know where best to start regards getting it ready for an LDT.

i don't even know what a spill kit is, hahahahah steep learning curve i recon.  :-[

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 09:49:19 pm »
Sounds like you got a bargain. Regards preparing it; might be worth putting a request into NOTW with a link to this topic. We all might get some answers.

Regards passing scrutineering; as you say, you'll need the spill kit, pretty cheap off the internet; a fire extinguisher, I can't recall the minimum specification off hand; a suitable towing point at the front, painted yellow, or suitably identified; and a reversing light, which the X-90 will have.

I reckon the X-90 is one of the best ways to go because it's got a proper chassis, but then what do I know  :D

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 07:50:20 am »
Hey chaps, what's the best way to go regards improving ground clearance on one of these x90's?

Any of you guys using longer springs or those lift kits?

Cheers
Jason

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 07:41:27 am »
Following on from what Alastair Queen stated “the Suzuki needs a lot of weight over the back end”  (http://www.themotorcyclingclub.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=85.15 ), here's a few of my thoughts from trialling a three-wheeler in class O and a Beetle in class 4. These are just the mods I would carry out if I had an X-90 and are based on limited car trialling and no experience of this car.

The amount of work you want to put in is going to be dictated by how long you want to keep the car, but here goes:

1. Leave the suspension as standard for the Edinburgh; play around with it later once you get to pick some X-90 brains on the trial.

2. Get as much of the weight over the back end as possible. Mount the rear wheels behind the rear panel on some sort of frame, but ensure you still conform with the MSA rule '9.1.1. The body overhang of non-production cars must not exceed one-fifth of the overall car length at the front, and one-third at the rear. Overhang is measured from the line of the road wheel centres'. Load all the tools, spares, trolley jack, etc as far back in the boot as possible.

3. Strip the car of all unnecessary weight, such as door panels, front apron, carpets, bonnet lining.  It'll be noisy, but as you're a biker, you'll have loads of ear plugs.

4. Install some under-guards beneath the engine and gearbox as appropriate. I've used 18 mm thick plywood with a lining of thin steel sheet to create a sandwich.  The plywood gives the under-guard some spring and flexibility and the sheet steel stops the plywood getting torn.  The two materials are also easier to get hold of, easier to work with and weigh less than a thick steel plate equivalent.

5.  I might even toy with moving the battery into the boot.

6. I don't know how you can protect the differential, all my cars have had the diff integral with the gearbox.

Good luck.

Offline Simon Woodall

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 11:57:50 am »
I looked at your post in the 13" Tyres Topic, and saw the link to the Kingpin tyres.   They look good, and I think you should go for them.
The commonest way to raise the suspension is to fit a spacer between the top of the strut and the mounting.
For leaf springs fit a shackle between the spring and the mount.
I don't think many car people bother with a guard under the differential.
In truth, one of the main points about an X-90 is that you don't need to do lots to it before you can start having fun.
"Run what Ya Brung"
Enter the car "as is" on the Testing Trial, its all in a single venue, plenty of time to chat to others, see what is what with plenty of time to do jobs before the Edinburgh.   Your friend doesn't even need to join the club before hand so he could drive and you could ride.

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 07:03:48 am »
The commonest way to raise the suspension is to fit a spacer between the top of the strut and the mounting.
For leaf springs fit a shackle between the spring and the mount.
There's a company called Jimny Bits that might have the answer to raising the front suspension. I believe a lot of the Suzuki models share components so these Suzuki Vitara Front Strut Spacers (also listed for X-90) with a 2.5 inch lift could just bolt in http://www.jimnybits.com/vitara-x90-91-00/suspension/suzuki-vitara-front-strut-shock-spacers-2-63.html . At £36, they'll save a lot of work fabricating something  ;D . The company would certainly be able to advise you.

With regards to longer shackles at the rear, I believe there's a shackle length at which the axle becomes so tilted, the gearbox output shaft and the axle pinion shaft become misaligned enough to cause problems  :( . Someone more knowledgeable, e.g. Jimny Bits, would be able to confirm, or discount that belief.

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 06:49:08 pm »
That's not a bad shout entering the testing trial, could be a good way to iron out any bugs and gain some experience driving it offroad.

Regards lift kits, I've been talking to a Suzuki mods guy on eBay but he's full of bad advice. And they are not cheap either if you get the wrong setup. Someone told me that Astra rear springs are longer and fit but then you have to get longer shocks to match. Also Astra springs are stiffer than x90 springs so that probably won't help either. I was also told that grand vitara front suspension units fit and are longer than x90 and will lift it by 2" but these will probably be to stiff too. There's also mention of camber adjustment bolts but not sure if these are necessary.

There's lots of tricks to jack the car up that the bling boys are doing but it's mostly all for show and image. We need the suspension to actually work and provide some real performance. And that's the advice I need.

Thanks for the responces guy's