Author Topic: Preparing MX5  (Read 4227 times)

Offline Robert Roalfe

Preparing MX5
« on: February 26, 2017, 10:36:39 pm »
I have done each of the three MCC trials on a bike but am interested in trying a few trials in a car. I have a 1995 Eunos Roadster, which has done 169,000 miles and has an auto box, but is very solid. Looking for any advice on sourcing or fitting longer suspension and engine guard from anyone who has fitted out an MX5; thanks for looking.

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
Re: Preparing MX5
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 08:22:26 am »
I took part in the Falcon Motor Club's Guy Fawkes trial in 2016 where a guy had an MX5 installed in a tubular, space-frame chassis.  The chassis was intended for track racing so low ground clearance.  The owner had increased the ground clearance by fabricating spacers, which were installed between the top of the suspension units and their mounting on the chassis.

I think the owner/driver was Ross Nuten of West Suffolk MC.  Some enquiries with them might yield some information.

Offline Robert Roalfe

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 05:32:58 pm »
Thanks Paul - shall look into the possibility of fitting spacers :)

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 09:54:07 am »
I was looking into converting an MX5 some while back. This picture (from a guy trying to stuff an MX5 rear into a Triumph Spitfire) shows how much the rear can be raised (not sure if the CV joints had reached the limit of their travel).

The front looks to be reasonably easy to raise as well; just a spacer at the top of the shock.

There's some interesting info on 'screw-perch-type' coil over shocks at https://www.miata.net/garage/alignment/ ; the website states 'the ride can be set to the ideal height, for the roads travelled, from a 4 x 4 look alike, to a track hugging low rider!

The other critical thing is how much suspension travel is in the standard shocks; that I don't know.

Let us know how you get on.

Offline Paul Wheatley

• Club Members
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 10:25:44 am »
You might also like to check out:

https://www.flyinmiata.com/lift-kit.html

I showed my wife a photo of their lifted car, with a view to doing this to our Mk2.

She simply said "No way!"
PW.

Offline Simon Woodall

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 06:12:56 pm »
Lots of interesting discussions on here about lifting the car up, but no one has posed the question "How easy is it to convert an auto to manual?"    The autobox will make restarts very "interesting" as it will be next to impossible to tell the difference between wheelspin and torque converter slip.    The autobox will also prevent you from rev'ing the nuts off the thing when trying to take off on steep stuff.   Many auto systems will have a rev limiter to prevent the very thing you need and will leave you sitting quietly on the restart with the engine refusing to rev anymore, and there being not enough revs for the torque converter to take up the drive.   

Offline Arron Homewood

• Club Members
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 04:59:55 pm »
I was also wondering about the auto box.

Many years ago...12/15ish there was a Ford Serra on the Ed Trial with an auto box, driver said it was fine, but I did not see it attempt any sections.

Wasn't there also Porsche 924 with an auto box around more recently? Seem to remember helping push it on a section where it had got a puncture.

Offline Robert Roalfe

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 07:47:24 pm »
Been away for a while but still looking to work on this project - many thanks for all your thoughts on the suspension and auto box. Am intending to enter the Testing Trial and then the O class on the Edinburgh and see how we get on!