Author Topic: GS500 Classic Trials Project  (Read 10554 times)

Offline Paul Wheatley

• Club Members
Re: GS500 Classic Trials Project
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2019, 07:38:49 am »
I can't help thinking - will the front wheel (+ mudguard) clear the exhaust when the front forks are compressed? I had a problem with my Royal Enfield when I fitted a trials tyre to the front wheel and needed to lift the mudguard just half an inch to get side clearance. It looked fine until I compressed the front springs then tried to steer....the mudguard clouted the exhaust and would lock the forks off to one side.   
PW.

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2019, 04:07:47 pm »
I had the exact same concerns so during the R&D stage, I installed the forks and front wheel in the frame without the springs.  By fully compressing the forks I could deduce where the header pipes could and couldnít go.  All good until, at a later stage, I had to fine tune the position of the engine and extend the header pipes.  However, Iím pretty sure I checked again with the forks fully compressed :-\.  At least, I hope so :-\.  Might be a pretty short mudguard if Iím wrong ;).

As for water-proofing the connections, the standard Suzuki multi-way connectors will be ok with some grease on the pins :-\

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2019, 05:41:52 pm »
It's looking good Paul, this is by far and away my favourite thread on this site. Keep posting, I can't wait to see this finished.

8)

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #63 on: October 29, 2019, 05:41:49 pm »
Been tinkering in the garage again.  The OEM throttle cable worked out about 160 mm too short, which is strange as the OEM clutch cable seems to fit ok ???.  Anyway, after dismissing the idea of knocking up some mechanical linkage that would connect the OEM cable to the carburetters, I bought a cable kit from Venhill.  Quality parts and a good price :).  As an example, a brass nipple that costs a few pence from Venhill is charged a couple of quid from sellers on ebay :o.  And cable adjusters are silly money on ebay :o.

In the end, I cut the OEM throttle cable and only used the inner and outer wires and a brass nipple from the kit.  All the adjusters, I re-used from the OEM cable.  I thought Iíd have trouble getting the inner wire through the PTFE liner in the outer cable, but I cut a clean end with no frays and assembled the parts :).  It was so cold in the garage, I soldered the brass nipple onto the inner wire indoors :-\.

Finished throttle cable :)

Next up was installing the front master cylinder and slave cylinder.  Iíve installed new seals and dust seals in both.  Iíve found the only satisfactory method to remove the pistons from the slave cylinder is to pump the brake lever and gently tease the pistons out.  Alright, brake fluid spills out, but stick the cylinder in a tray and itís all good :).  The circlip in the master cylinder was a bit of a problem and involved filing my circlip pliers to make them fit the circlip and the confines of the recess.  It means a new needle file, but canít be helped.

The front brake is a pain in the backside to bleed >:(.  I reckon that's because there is a long loop of hose that rises above the master cylinder, which, I think, traps air that canít be shifted by pumping the brake lever :(.  Thinking ahead, I clamped the master cylinder in the vise, laid the hose and slave cylinder out as horizontal as possible and bled the brake.  Later, I put the slave cylinder on the floor below the master cylinder and left it for a couple of days for any air bubbles to pass into the reservoir and out of the fluid ;).

Master cylinder installed Ė new seals :)

Slave cylinder installed Ė new seals :)

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2019, 06:10:06 pm »
Been pottering in the garage again.  Been calculating what length rear shocks to fit that will give me a suitable front fork rake and a suitable seat height, hence the wooden shocks in the photo.  Rear shocks at 360 mm eye to eye gives the bike a 29 degree rake and means I can put my feet on the floor (though that is sitting on only 15 mm thickness of towelling).  Ground clearance is approx. 235 mm (9.25 in.)

Paul W, you were correct in your frightening comment on the mudguard, I checked the gaps again with the forks fully compressed.  Yes, the mudguard hits the header pipe :(, which is why the mudguard is missing.  The clearance will be ok if I make a new bracket, or fit the mudguard under the bracket instead of above the bracket.  So, all is not lost :).

I weighed the bike on a set of bathroom scales while it was out.  The front comes in at 70 kg (154 lb); the rear at 80.5 kg (177 lb); total 150.5 kg (331 lb)   Dry weight that is and without the silencer, which is approx.. another 2 kg.  Not too bad, considering thereís not much scope for weight saving ::).

Though the brakes are bled, Iíve got hydraulic fluid weeping from some of the copper washers under pressure.  I think the washers are just crap so theyíll need replacing :(.

The speedometer is mounted so I can still see it with a route box installed on the handlebars.  The panel for the warning LEDs is fabricated and just awaiting the LEDs once Iíve sorted out what wires to solder to each other. 

Any advice on shocks would be appreciated.  Iíve looked at Hagon, Betor and NJB Shocks.  Iím on a budget here so Ohlins and the like are totally out.

Offline Tony Bishop

• Club Members
« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2019, 05:01:59 pm »
Hi Paul,

Looks rather tidy if a tiny bit heavy but as you say there is not a lot to be done from that perspective.
NJB shocks have quite a good reputation particularly at the price and would probably work out considerably cheaper than Hagons.
Don't forget that you are checking the seat height with the suspension rigid so allow for some shock compression when you sit on the bike. I would imagine NJB would be able to give you some indication on the amount of compression you would achieve based on your weight.

Offline David (tufty) White

• Administrator
  • getting away with it so far
« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2019, 06:28:15 pm »
Have a look at Shock Factory.

They do a range of excellent units from simple emulsion all the way up to remote reservoir.  They'll also make them to your specs too.

http://www.shock-factory.co.uk

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2019, 08:10:15 pm »
I have a brand new (still in the packaging) pair of JAWA 350 shocks and a brand new (still in packaging) pair of MZ 250 shocks that I wont be using.

will sell for 40 quid per pair plus post.

Jawa are 325mm between centres
MZ are 380mm between centres.

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2019, 10:21:52 pm »
Have a look at Shock Factory.
http://www.shock-factory.co.uk
Thanks David, I did, but they'll blow the budget :o.

I have a brand new (still in the packaging) pair of JAWA 350 shocks and a brand new (still in packaging) pair of MZ 250 shocks that I wont be using.
Jawa are 325mm between centres
MZ are 380mm between centres.
Thanks Jason, but the lengths are unsuitable.  325 mm will probably give a rake of over 30 degrees; 380 mm will mean I'll be on tip toe.  I think there might be problems with the spring poundage as well; those shocks are meant for single cylinder two-strokes and my bike is a twin cylinder 500 four stroke.