Author Topic: GS500 Classic Trials Project  (Read 9807 times)

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
  • AKA: Ratty.
Re: GS500 Classic Trials Project
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2018, 10:31:32 pm »
And Yes... STV International, do make Mothballs..... :)

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2018, 10:32:36 pm »
Incidentally, Why did you go for Blue and not Black?

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2018, 08:18:08 am »
I like the colour blue :D.  The blue is also more in keeping with Suzuki models.  Similarly, red for Honda and green for Kawasaki. Black is in keeping with classic British bikes.

Offline Ian T

• Club Members
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2018, 07:14:49 pm »
Isn't yellow a classic colour for Suzuki? Subjective I know but yellow bodywork and a blue frame works well IMHO.

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2018, 08:34:46 am »
I don't like yellow.  Perhaps it's a wasp thing, the winged variety, not the wheeled variety. The tank and mudguards are/were going to be silver  :-\

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2018, 09:46:07 pm »
Black is easier to repaint. :)

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2019, 06:32:38 pm »
The project is back on the go with some help from my granddaughter.  Finally dummied-up the important bits, i.e. engine plates, dummy engine, rear wheel spacing, petrol tank, then dismantled the lot.  Painted the frame and engine plates with with Rust-Oleum CombiColor in blue, and painted the top and bottom yokes in silver with a couple of coats of lacquer.

No photos of getting the engine in the frame Iím sorry to say, but the technique was to raise the engine, using a Felco chain hoist, then fit the frame to the engine.  The engine can be lifted by hand, just about, but manoeuvring the thing is a recipe for skinned fingers at best :(.  However, all was not well; two of the sump bolts at the front of the engine are rubbing the frame; bugger :-\.  New set of engine plates fabricated and the engine sits nicely, but itís a real tight fit.

Rear wheel installed to check the sprocket alignment using a laser.  Fortunately, all appears to line up; engine centred, rear wheel centred.  Relief al round ;).

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2019, 07:59:59 am »
It's looking very nice Paul.

Paint the tank silver. Be very similar to greeves colours now that you have gone with a blue frame.  8)

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2019, 12:07:50 pm »
Exactly my thoughts.  It might even convince some people that the tank is a lightweight aluminium tank  :).  I'm also looking at some way of using another colour, or colours to make the tank appear smaller; perhaps stripes, or a pattern in a darker blue to give a visual misconception.  I've had a trawl on the internet, but nothing to inspire :-[.  But silver will be the dominant colour.

Offline Paul Wheatley

• Club Members
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2019, 01:41:08 pm »
It's looking like it will be potent off-road machine.

Bearing in mind the title of the thread, I couldn't help noticing that the rear tyre seems to be of a type that doesn't comply with the MCC tyre regs...  ;)
PW.

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2019, 04:41:21 pm »
No worries about conforming to the regs.  The tyres are both Continental TKC80 :)

Offline rick howell

• Club Members
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2019, 08:25:08 am »
I'm also looking at some way of using another colour, or colours to make the tank appear smaller; perhaps stripes, or a pattern in a darker blue to give a visual misconception.
In a similar way to the "graduation" of blackness (a sort of shading) on some vehicle window glass? In dots or squares or diamonds of your darker blue - even a pixellation effect - darker towards the bottom of the tank?
I have a '60s Norton and the 3 gall tank has a "crease" along both shoulders, front to back, which just catches the light in a subtle way, changes the silver paint visually and so makes the tank less bulky.
I guess the same effect was achieved (plus the image of speed) by Yamaha's "speed stripes", Triumphs "scallops" and even BR's '50's new diesel multiple units image using "speed whiskers".
Or how about Dazzle Camouflage (see Wikipedia's page)? It's all smoke and mirrors!.....now there's an idea.
Whatever, it's coming along nicely, Paul. :D

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2019, 07:15:57 pm »

I'm also looking at some way of using another colour, or colours to make the tank appear smaller.

Why?

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2019, 08:14:46 am »
I have a '60s Norton and the 3 gall tank has a "crease" along both shoulders, front to back, which just catches the light in a subtle way, changes the silver paint visually and so makes the tank less bulky.
I guess the same effect was achieved (plus the image of speed) by Yamaha's "speed stripes", Triumphs "scallops" and even BR's '50's new diesel multiple units image using "speed whiskers".
Thanks, I'll look into the Norton colour schemes.  Less bulky appearance is what I'm after and the project tank is a similar shape to the Norton style.