Author Topic: Mudguards  (Read 4111 times)

Offline Bryan Marsh

• Club Members
Mudguards
« on: April 08, 2016, 12:45:09 pm »
Does anyone know of a source of good quality alloy mudguards for a "crasher" like me? - mine seem rather thin and split easily when I inevitably fall off and bend them. Or should I go for stainless steel on the rear?

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
  • AKA: Ratty.
Re: Mudguards
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 02:05:10 pm »
Why not go for plastic. I.e. https://www.inmotiontrials.com/product/universal-long-stilmoto-rear-mudguard-white/

They are or used to be available in other colours..

Save weight and damage at the same time...

I have been using them on my 1936 Velocette MAC For the past 15 years without any problems....

Offline Bryan Marsh

• Club Members
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 09:23:11 am »
That was my original plan, emulating the Triumph ISDT bikes from the early 1973, but I'm afraid it's a case of style over practicality.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
  • AKA: Ratty.
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 12:23:40 am »
I find they have both style and practically.  :)

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 09:37:40 am »
Plastic is far better than aluminium, which tarnishes, corrodes, cracks, dents and generally looks very unsavoury unless you keep polishing the stuff.

I had the same dilemma when modifying my W650 and eventually settled on plastic mudguards, which I painted silver. The photo is not the best angle, but it's the only one I could readily find. The painting was straightforward; rub down with 600 grade paper, a coat of plastic primer, a few coats of silver, then two coats of petrol-resistant lacquer.