Author Topic: My CZ125  (Read 5176 times)

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
My CZ125
« on: October 29, 2016, 03:33:14 pm »
So this is what my bike looks like at the moment. Entered this in the Exeter Trial. I'm back off my hol's now so better get cracking.  ;D

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
Re: My CZ125
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 11:03:59 pm »
Looking very clean .... for now.

Are you moving the foot pegs further back to get more weight over the back wheel?  And is that an 18 inch wheel up front?

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 07:23:58 pm »
It's just a standard road bike apart from the wider bars.

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 08:19:37 pm »
Engine now reassembled and back in the frame.

Offline Jonathan Laver

• Club Members
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 10:56:20 pm »
So how`s the bike getting on ?    Any update pics ?
Jonathan L.

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 06:05:20 pm »
Yeh its all together now but as always its never quite that simple.

I charged the battery but couldn't get it to fire up. No spark.  :(

The electrics were a total mess, lots of wires twisted together hidden behind sticky tape etc and crappy pinched on bullet connectors that wernt quite making contact. None of this helps matters on a 6 volt system.

It turns out that the battery was shot too, yes it showed 6 volts on the meter but ask it to charge a coil and it quickly shrivelled up and died. There was lots of blown bulbs, the indicators were mostly corroded and/or broken, the rear brake light switch had just internally collapsed and someone had fitted a 12 volt horn. This explained why when the button was pressed it sounded like it was being muffled by a pillow very far away.  ::)

New battery fitted I discovered the kill switch was knackered. All this sorted and it fired up and sounded lovely however the charge light wont go out. No power coming out of the 55w generator also noticed that some one has fitted a 75w regulator.....  >:(

Managed to get a new old stock 75w generator off the Jawa/CZ OC spares guy at a very good price so now have a nice power upgrade and a matching regulator. Was going to fit it on the bike this weekend but came down with the Lurgy.  :'(

Should be able to get it sorted this week and hopefully ready for an MOT this weekend. maybe just jinxed myself there but fingers crossed.  ;)

thanks for asking by the way. I'll let you know how I get on.

regards
Jason     

Offline rick howell

• Club Members
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 10:01:28 pm »
that's looking very tidy Jase - it certainly wont look like that after a couple of sections!

As for riding up sections it might be worth your while to give it a try standing on the pillion pegs and see how that feels...if they're man enough...especially if you need a bit more weight on the back wheel to keep up your grip and momentum. Certainly worked for me on my MZ that I tried a few seasons back.

If you're interested there's an e-article on the real classic website about my MZ 250 and what I did with it in preparation for the 2012 Exeter here http://www.realclassic.co.uk/mz_etz_250_trials_conversion.html

Certainly there's a lot of things you can do to a standard machine to help "trialise" them. Enjoy the Exeter, and decide what to do after that.

Rick

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2016, 02:34:36 pm »
that's a nice looking MZ Rick. why did you go back to the Banty?

...GOOD NEWS....

the CZ now has a full MOT. still not convinced of its reliability or durability yet though. got to get some miles on it now.  ::)

thanks for the riding tips, I was planning to use the back foot pegs. reminds me of when we used to go riding old bikes up the fields when we were kids. hahahaha.

problem is I'm a bit older and a lot more wobbly now .  :(

I haven't modified the bike because it dosnt matter what I do to it at this stage, I'm the limiting factor. all the bike has to do is last until the end of the trial. me on the other hand, I've never been on a bike for that long or to be fare awake for that long, so I recon the bike has a better chance of finishing than I do at the moment.

so my goal for this first YEAR.... is just to finish the events. I don't much care for tin ware just the certificate at the end is all I'm aiming for.   ;)

Offline rick howell

• Club Members
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2016, 10:25:13 am »
Hi Jase

I think the Bantam has more options for me.

As for finishing, it very much depends on the weather, how rough the sections are in the weeks leading up to the event. At the moment it's been very dry and cold for a few days and the off -road stuff is remarkably dry.

A friend and I had a ride round some of the Dartmoor-edge tracks two weeks ago and it was drier than expected but Fingle (hasn't been a class O hill though for a few years now) was quite rough under a cover of leaves.

As for you being the limiting factor well aside from the adrenaline keeping you on your toes the whole buzz is enervating.

I'm sure you'll breeze through - medals aren't the issue; having fun is.

Rick

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2016, 04:59:12 pm »
Done just under 100 miles on it today. she did OK but struggled with hills, up and down the box a lot. But I'm not thrashing it, I have to keep the rev's down as I've still got 400 miles to do before I can really give it the berries...  ;D

she'll climb hills better then.  ;)

Tried to get some genuine dirt on it just for Rick. hahahaha. I did have to find some dirty old lanes and climb a few verges and it still dosnt look that impressive.  ???

need to go get some offroad practice in at some point. i'll wait till the 500 miles have gone round first though.