Author Topic: Exeter 2017  (Read 12578 times)

Offline rick howell

• Club Members
Re: Exeter 2017
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2017, 07:56:04 pm »
One day I'll go down Ian Hingley's route and get my BSA B25 running again (readying for the Ed about 3 years ago we got taken out by an Audi driver pulling out, then stopping directly in front of me) and then seek out a B44 motor for it.

Had one back in 1979/80 (B40 WD frame, B44 motor) that used to wetsump and consequently create a smokescreen rivalling the Navy on manoeuvres. But I still cherish it's memory and bemoan the crazily tiny sum of money I accepted for it.

And for this year's LE I'm toying with using my '81 SP370 for a change - you don't see many of those nowadays do you?

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2017, 10:08:12 am »
I can imagine those SP's being a nice bike. I had an XL250 for a short while back in the early 90's and that was very nice to ride.

whilst we are on the topic of future projects, I always fancied one of these sidevalve Ural 750's. yeh I know, I've got a problem.  :-[

Offline rick howell

• Club Members
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2017, 09:52:05 pm »
John Adams (I think) ran a Chang Jiang chinese copy of one of those one year on the testing trial. It seemed a bit of a handful. If I could find a way to post a pic I'd put it up.

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2017, 08:50:24 am »
Sounds like you need to start working on that GS project Paul. That's a much better prospect than a triumph. That will be a one of a kind. Can't wait to see that.  ;)
It's getting closer  :) .  Just had a new shed installed to cope with the overflow from the garage  ;D .  Once the overflow is flooded into the shed, I should have some floor space.  Too bl**dy cold and wet to work in the drive  :( .

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2017, 10:23:23 am »
Rick, just sent you a PM on how to post pictures. if you are struggling give us a call.

Spotted this yesterday on ebay, I think this would make a good LDT bike. they bought these out to replace the CX500. similar levels of reliability, bit more power and a lot lighter than a CX. no need to worry about the chain jumping off with this bike.  ::)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172512689447?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Cheep bike at £300, I'd buy it myself but I'm neck deep in Jawa's and CZ's at the moment. just sold two 125's to make some space and to finance the rebuild of my red bike.  ;D

I like Paul's idea of building a light weight twin, so I'm rebuilding a Jawa 350 engine and will be fitting that into my red 125.

Offline rick howell

• Club Members
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2017, 08:31:37 pm »
Hi Jason

those VT500s didn't have a good reputation (there was a 400 too if I recall) so perhaps that's why it's so cheap.

I think the Jawa 350 in a light frame is a good one - the Jawa 350 has a fair bit of torque too. And it would certainly turn some heads! Sounds great.

I looked at a Excelsior talisman 250 twin in a Bantam frame but finding a talisman engine without being in the Excelsior club seems tricky. Though I did contact them and they said there were people with engines around.

Rick

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2017, 11:32:13 am »
Think most go for the Ariel Leader engine but I always fancied a Villiers T4.

I did fit a Jawa 250 twinport engine into a D1 once. its very snug but it went in. don't think it would work with a swingarm bantam as the hole is smaller. The plungers have really long rear engine mounts so can take bigger engines.

An XL185 would be my choice for a D14.  ;)

I've also heard of people fitting 175 MZ engines too.  ::)

Offline George Osborn

• Club Members
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2017, 08:25:54 pm »
What's wrong with the Ariel 3, Rick? I havs one; ask Celia what it's like to ride!

Offline rick howell

• Club Members
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2017, 10:17:15 pm »
It's a deep-seated phobia, George.

My neighbour had one; I was a sixteener on a 2-speed NSU quickly. I'd missed the dreaded "sixteener" deadline by a quirk of fate....if only my parents had had that loving moment three months earlier I'd have been riding a 250 C15. Or a Enfield Continental GT. Or, more likely, a worn out Bantam 125. *sigh*

Anyway, the NSU, temperamental at the best of times, broke down one day and my neighbour offered her Ariel to me to get to college - reluctantly I agreed and instantly destroyed any street-cred I may have had (which was none at all - in retrospect). It was also very difficult to ride in the gutter as was the manner of those terrible mopeds of the day most of which were completely worn out relics from the late 50's and just about achieved 30mph if all the correct conditions happened to be favourable at the same time (downhill, wind following, new plug, etc) and consequently became terribly dangerous to us and everyone else on and off the road. That Ariel 3 had one wheel on the pavement as I followed the gutter line diligently - as a moped rider I was just following the cyclists line....now, if I'd been riding a proper bike....

It was so bad I couldn't ride the 2 miles home after all the ribbing, and the hop-skip-jumping of the loosely attached rear end which threatened capsize every few yards. I despised it with all my heart. I got my mate to ride it home instead.

And vowed never to ride one again.

Fast forward 40+ years.....despite all my advice, another friend buys one! Could I fix it for him. Nope. Can I put a new rear brake cable (the one that is a "handbrake" using the little clip thingy) for him. Nope. I'll pay you he says. NOPE. NO. ABSOLUTELY NOT. I WANT NOTHING TO DO WITH IT. I think I made myself clear. It still languishes unloved in his shed all '70s plastic and peeling stickers. Tilted in a slightly queasy way. No handbrake. I know it'll end up here being fixed; he'll have to bring it round after dark.

Sadly the  concept was quite good but the execution (now there's a thought) by the bean counters at latter-day BSA managed to come up with a right b*st*rd that wouldn't start easily, was clearly aimed at bright young things in long boots (who decided a Mini was much more to their tastes anyway), only managed 25 mph on a good day (see previously), and was really quite dangerous on the road. Even when you stopped it wanted to fall over despite having 3 wheels. It was a complete disaster (even Honda couldn't make it go) - replicated years later by the Sinclair C5....no George, you haven't got one of those as well?

Now, for a decent, proper 2 wheel disaster from BSA, the Dandy, well, I've got two of those little beauties.

But I just can't forget that 2 mile ride on an Ariel 3 through rush hour traffic. I've had therapy, but it's still there. Please don't make me ride it, please.....

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2017, 06:24:17 pm »
In order to fully get over any phobia you must first confront your fear, then hit it with an axe  ;D

Works with spiders too but not recommended for your fear of clowns  :o