Author Topic: My First Ever LDT - Exeter 2017  (Read 6905 times)

Offline Simon Woodall

• Administrator
Re: My First Ever LDT - Exeter 2017
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2017, 04:59:36 pm »
was going to try those Kingpin re-molds as they seem a cheap option
Not the K4S I hope, that is not going to be legal after December, so 6 tyres that you can only use on the Edinburgh is not as cheap an option as it might seem.   An X-90 as standard runs a 195/70x15 tyre, and the rules say you may not use a smaller tyre than standard.  This means that you are really restricted either to another 195/70 or a 185/80.  My suggestion would be a set of Hankook RA10's

Also be wary of LED Spotlamps.  The rules say "no more that 4 forward facing beams", and your headlamps are two of them, an LED spotlamp has a lot more than 2 beams.    I have been trialling cars for over 30 years and have never seen (pun) the need for additional lamps.   Yes, there are cars out there with LED spotlamps, but only because the scrutineer has not picked them up and slapped their wrists.

As Paul says one of the reasons for the popularity of the X-90 is that you do not HAVE to do anything to it.    Just enter, run around, have fun, and chat to other X-90 people as you do.  Then you will prise tips and tricks out of them.

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2017, 05:19:31 pm »
To be fair I don't think I'll be using this car again after the Edinburgh. There is a massive void between car people and bike people and I'm proud to be in the two wheel camp. Bike people are incredibly helpful and will offer advice quite freely even offering to buddy up with newbie's. As a new member and out of my comfort zone with cars I've found it very difficult to get any advice from your members despite asking for a month now. If my mate wasn't so keen to give this LDT a go it would be up for sale already and I'd be back on my CZ where I belong.

I'm not a negative person but I'm disappointed by the lack of response to my plea, especially as I'm only doing this to try and bring in a new member.

Offline Alastair Queen

• Club Members
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2017, 11:52:27 am »
Not every [car] competitor visits this forum.  Also, where does one start? Preparation is key...from my own observations, the Suzuki needs a lot of weight over the back end.

More difficult to 'buddy-up' with a car, however...........perhaps seeking an experienced driver who would passenger you  for an event or two?