Author Topic: how cheap are these cars.....  (Read 4335 times)

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
how cheap are these cars.....
« on: November 27, 2016, 02:46:16 pm »
I noticed a few Ford KA's entered into this years Exeter Trial so having looked at how cheap Suzuki X90's were previously I thought id have a quick gander at these KA's...

I dont think people can give these away...  :o

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ford-ka-/282263966292?hash=item41b83e5254:g:Y0UAAOSwcLxYM1Mw

makes you wonder why we bother with motorbikes anymore...

so what mods do you have to do to a KA to make it LDT ready?

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
Re: how cheap are these cars.....
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 10:03:38 am »
I had a conversation regards raising the front suspension of cars with Macpherson struts with Simon W on Sunday; it's on sort of the same subject. Apparently, a lot of front suspension components are interchangeable between models so, in theory, the front struts from a taller model, for example, a Mondeo might be adapted to fit?

The small wheel diameter looks to be a major constraint to cleaning sections, but I'm no expert. Bigger diameter wheels, if they fit, would benefit from a lower ratio final drive in the differential; where would you get that?  Would a bigger capacity engine and gearbox from another ford model fit?

I'd be interested to hear from anyone trialing a Ka.

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
Re: how cheap are these cars.....
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 07:07:41 pm »
I did a bit of investigation on the Ka (early model) front suspension and a possible weak point may be the rearmost rubber bush on the lower control arm (see first image).  This bush is mounted vertically so Iím thinking that any upward force on the control up, such as a clout from a rock could shear the rubber.  There was an identical design on my VW Polo and that went through two sets of control arms because the rear bush failed.  Raising the suspension such that the control arm is at an increased angle would also place a constant load on this bush, probably shortening itsí life.

A lot of Ford Fiestas share this design of rear bush.  However, the Mk 5 Fiesta (2002 -09) has this rear bush mounted in the horizontal plane (see second image).  This looks like a design more able to take the punishment of a section and increased angle as the bush will be in compression, not shear.

So is a Mk 5 Fiesta a better bet?  Has anyone trialled one?