Author Topic: 13" Tyres  (Read 10404 times)

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
Re: 13" Tyres
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2017, 02:36:39 pm »
Any of you guys had any experience with re-molds?

There's a company not to far from me supplying those kingpin things for 18 quid a go. Seems a cheap way for me to get started as I need 6 of them. :-\

And they are on the tyre list. Yippee

Offline Myke Pocock

• Club Members
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2017, 02:47:07 pm »
Ah yes, Arron, the grip word. I really must continue to condition myself not to lower pressures too much and then get too much grip.  Heavy car, puny 1300cc, result can be too much grip and go nowhere. Mmmmm!! Perhaps a complete trial on high(er)  pressures to see how we go.

Offline Alastair Queen

• Club Members
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2017, 07:08:46 am »
Jason...nothing 'wrong' with remoulds.....especially UK-made remoulds...they have to undergo very stringent testing to meet the required standards.

Plus, they are often more pliable..or have more grippy rubber, on them?  They also make use of older tread patterns which proves successful in the past.

It was a sad day when Colway hung up its socks....leaving us with Kingpin. 

Offline Arron Homewood

• Club Members
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2017, 09:35:15 am »
There's a company not to far from me supplying those kingpin things for 18 quid a go. Seems a cheap way for me to get started as I need 6 of them. :-\

And they are on the tyre list. Yippee

Hi Jason
That sounds a bargain...who is that and do you have a contact number?

Myke
Higher pressures, we once had best in class on the Ed without going below 24psi.
The tyres made the difference that day though, they were brand new very soft Firestone F560's. We are still using that type of tyre but the newest of them is 2004. We have kept them in the cold and dark (as most things are in Rutland) but they best days are long past.
Grip and weight, the car is very light and we carry nothing in the front. If a hill is stopping most of the field further measures come in to place, sometimes I've taken my size 14 boots and socks off and put them on the rear shelf...attitude...every little helps and sometimes it seems to work.

Alastair.
Kindly suggest you stop buggering about with preparing other cars and get that Rapid on the road. Very good cars in the right hands as you have shown us in the past. So, find it...pull it out...assess what required...send us a list of bits required...Myke, I and others have plenty of parts to get you going. Oh yes, and bring your lad with you, he's a nice guy, how old now?

Thanks Arron

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2017, 12:56:12 pm »

Offline Pete Volkner

• Club Members
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2017, 01:55:24 pm »
I use Mentor M400 that are on the list in 165 -80- 13 flavour seem fine, didn't have a puncture on this years LE but didn't go below 16psi (Crackington and Hoskins) and ran 18psi for the rest. approx. £30 each

Pete.

Offline Sam Holmes

• Club Members
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2017, 07:06:55 pm »
I always found Bamford too steep if there was grip, in my 1300 beetle we had to air up and then thrash it on the lower part to keep the revs up! Underpowered is an occupational hazard in class 4!

Offline Alastair Queen

• Club Members
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2017, 08:48:32 am »
Interesting views, Sam. I came to the same conclusion with my Dellow....the engine was [I believe?] used for racing in the USA for a number of years.  Hence it doesn't stonk away until the revs are up quite a bit [on the road, it suddenly smooths out at55 mph, and storms off].....so I, too, resorted to putting huge pressures in the back tyres.....just to get going. Not enough bottom end torque.
Most of my past experience has been in class4.

Trialling Skodas.

The key for class 4, for me, is as little weight as possible overall, and the lowest final drive that I could get to fit. [same ratio as the 4 speed Estelle]...I've tried standard [Jikov] carbs, of various types & ages...huge Weber DCOEs, with tiny chokes [gas speed]....and latterly, a set of bike carbs [off a Fireblade]....on one of Bogg Bros manifolds.

The latter set-up really gave the best of both worlds....being quite close to 'fuel injection'...which is also an option? [From either a FAvorit or a Felicia/Fabia].....

As you say, one has to make the car as strong as possible, simply to be able to hurl it at stuff, in the absence of the ability to trickle successfully.

Beetles in class 4 have the advantage of ground clearance...and the 1300 motor can be tuned quite well [the know-how is out there]...as is, I suppose, the Skoda 130/136 motor?

But, overall, the key is power-to-weight ratio.

Offline Myke Pocock

• Club Members
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2017, 07:03:21 pm »
Getting away from the original question I know but a Felicia Mpi engine is an option for me. Weight wise I must admit to carrying too much weight in the front. Perhaps secure some behind the rear seat is a starting point. I have removed the winder mechanisms from the rear windows and door cards and was going to go the polycarb route until I realised the barstewards of the MSA wont allow and I don't think anyone does a polly window for Estelles!  Had wondered about twin radiators in the rear wings and thereby doing away with the main one in front. Was it the S100 that had the rad in the back? With regard to the rear seats, how much can be junked before the scroots get upperty? 

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2017, 07:51:41 pm »
Getting away from the original question I know
Perhaps this subject of Skoda Estelle would be better discussed in a new topic titled Skoda Estelle, or something more pertinent. Someone looking for information on the Skoda is not going to look in 13 inch tyres as a first resort  :D .

Offline Alastair Queen

• Club Members
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2017, 04:16:45 am »
You're right , they won't! on the other hand, I doubt a tyro Skoda driver will be looking on a forum such as this for advice?  More likely to email Myke Pocock or someone of similar experience?

To answer Myke's question regarding rear seats?
20 years ago now, one of the backrest portions on my old red Estelle broke away just before setting off. I taped a sheet of vynyl over the gap, but the scroootes weren't too happy.They allowed me to continue, but I received a snottogram from the club warning me to 'get it sorted' before the next trial...
Whereupon, at the scrutineering, it was actually checked!!

I also tried laying a rear seat cover over the top of a sheet of foam, taped to the rear floor...none too successful, and my passenger complained.

The trim pieces under the rear side windows on the  Rapid need two hands to lift out of the car.....

Myke, are you sure you can't just replace the side windows with perspex?  It seemed to be 'the thing' for many rally cars I observed?  Front & rear screens need to be glass, however.

I recall a Talbot Samba many decades ago, that had the whole tailgate replaced by a sheet of perspex, with the lower body, and screen surround, painted on?  :)