Author Topic: Raising Front Suspension  (Read 4287 times)

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
Raising Front Suspension
« on: November 24, 2016, 01:47:08 pm »
Before I acquired a Beetle for class 4, I was looking at modifying a front wheel drive car for class 1.  This was mainly due to the shortage of modern rear wheel drive cars.  One of the modifications would involve raising the front suspension on a car where Macpherson struts were fitted.  Raising the rear suspension of the car seemed less of a problem.

Initially I thought that a suitable adapter could be fabricated and installed between the top of the strut and the underside of the wheel housing, thus raising the bodywork.  However, as the strut is lowered relative to the lower control arm, the lower control arm pulls the wheel camber towards more negative camber.

Does less positive camber, or even negative camber matter for trials use and how thick an adapter can be fitted on particular models before kingpins and/or ball joints reach the limit of their travel?

As the Beetle may die one day and I have to start looking again for a car, can anyone give their experiences of carrying out this mod and are certain FWD cars more suitable than others?

Offline Myke Pocock

• Club Members
Re: Raising Front Suspension
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 11:53:29 pm »
I made up a pair of adapters for a Mitsubishi FWD that students at school were entering for a PCT our club was running. Two plates to match the strut top mounting with a large bore pipe welded between them. It wouldn't be much of a hassle to off set the plates given you can get the necessary clearances in the offset of the plates in the adapters to compensate for any change in the camber of the wheel. Just one thing to look out for on any FWD vehicle, lengths of drive shafts. Some have unequal lengths which make jacking the suspension up almost impossible for any appreciable ride height change as the drive shafts can foul bottom suspension arms. 

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 01:19:20 pm »
It wouldn't be much of a hassle to off set the plates given you can get the necessary clearances in the offset of the plates in the adapters to compensate for any change in the camber of the wheel.   

A fair bit of jiggery pokery to work out what offset you'd need I reckon, then hope it was accurate before everything was welded up. Perhaps some sort of adjustable spacer is worth investigating/designing, or file some big slots at the mounting holes at the top of the wheel housing  :)

Offline Myke Pocock

• Club Members
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 04:46:19 pm »
I know the suspension on my Skoda is double wishbones rather than McPherson strut but when I raised it I compensated by replacing the bottom metalstic bushes by nylon inserts with offset holes that were fitted with the steel tube inserts from the metalastic bushes. Didn't need much offsetting to correct the camber but a strut would need more because of the whole suspension geometry. How about some sort of variable adjustment where the bottom suspension arm fits on to the strut? Probably easier to do there than at the top.

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 08:20:18 am »
How about some sort of variable adjustment where the bottom suspension arm fits on to the strut? Probably easier to do there than at the top.

I think you're correct; easier to make an adjustment at the lower control arm than the top of the wheel housing.

To bring the subject to a specific vehicle, there's been an enquiry from someone wishing to trial a Peugeot 106.  What advice would anyone give on raising the front suspension on this model?

Offline Myke Pocock

• Club Members
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 06:14:03 pm »
Try posting the question on Michael Leets site as well. There are probably more people access it.

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 10:13:19 am »
It could be me looking at the wrong pages, or my slow computer, but I find Michael's website is one stream of information that, at times, can take some time to download.  The MCC forum is more accessible and is laid out in the manner of other forums that I use, such as the Adventure Rider forum (ADVrider.com).