Author Topic: Cheap and easy road book reader  (Read 5430 times)

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
  • AKA: Ratty.
Re: Cheap and easy road book reader
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2018, 08:22:25 pm »
dam you photobucket  >:(...  hello Imgur  ;)

:)

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2018, 09:10:08 pm »
Mark 2 roadbook reader is now taking shape.

ive started with an aluminium electrical box, ditched the aluminium lid and cut a piece of Perspex to the same dimensions.
ive basically copied the same format as the Mark 1 as shown at the beginning of this thread and even used the Mark 1 copper pipe roller/twizzlers.
upgrades are, ive used a cheap off the shelf automotive boot light which uses a festoon bulb for a back light. this is 12v and will be wired to the bikes battery. i'll be using some bullet connectors or similar so that I can unplug it as and when required.
to clamp it to the handle bars ive use some cheapy (£1.99 of ebay) 10mm mirror clamps. be careful here as these are a M10 fine thread and not the std M10 bolts you get from B&Q etc.
ive also used a large O-ring to assist in keeping tension on the other roller/twizzler.
hope this helps or provides ideas to anyone who's making one of these.
best of luck.  ;)

« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 09:21:45 pm by Jason Potts »

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2018, 07:04:21 pm »
That looks pretty indestructible :o.  Have you any idea how bright the backlight will be at night?  Admittedly, I'm using LED strips, but I've stuck a potentiometer in my route holder so I can adjust the light level.  I found I was taking too long to get my night vision back with no adjustment.

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2018, 09:51:47 pm »
Now fitted to my bike. just got to take it round for an MOT tomorrow and we are ready.  ;D

Have you any idea how bright the backlight will be at night?  Admittedly, I'm using LED strips, but I've stuck a potentiometer in my route holder so I can adjust the light level.  I found I was taking too long to get my night vision back with no adjustment.

ive tried it and its pretty dim like me. so that's good. I tried the LED path and found I was getting blinded by it so gone down this route. i'll feed back after the Exeter. i'll either be happy or a Mark 3 might be on the cards. at least we are logging the development process on here so people can go straight to the answer rather than mess around trying stuff.  ::)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:59:08 pm by Jason Potts »

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2018, 01:57:50 pm »
That looks excellent.....  :)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 02:01:36 pm by Stephen Bailey »

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2018, 01:58:53 pm »
You need RED LED's so your night vision is not affected.....

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2018, 02:02:39 pm »
Oh... And you might need a drain hole....  :)

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2019, 03:32:33 pm »
looks like someone has taken my idea and is selling them on ebay. even using the copper pipe and walking stick ends.  >:(

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROADBOOK-HOLDER-LONG-DISTANCE-TRIALS-RALLY-2-SIZES-AVAILABLE-WYEGATE-ROAD-BOOK/303137234523?hash=item4694631e5b:g:ndIAAOSwYblc9W1f

oh well good luck to him.

“Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness.” ― Oscar Wilde  ;)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 03:38:23 pm by Jason Potts »

Offline Ian T

• Club Members
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2019, 08:51:17 pm »
You could set up in competition?

Offer an illuminated version?

My Touratech one has just about had it after 20 years, so looking for a new one. I can't find them on the Touratech shop anymore so may go for an F2R. Or make a replica of yours.