Author Topic: Cheap and easy road book reader  (Read 8655 times)

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
  • AKA: Ratty.
Re: Cheap and easy road book reader
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2018, 08:22:25 pm »
dam you photobucket  >:(...  hello Imgur  ;)

:)
Posts by myself are personal posts and in no way are an official expression of the MCC. or the MCC Committee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_3KP7X8RQ4

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2018, 09:10:08 pm »
Mark 2 roadbook reader is now taking shape.

ive started with an aluminium electrical box, ditched the aluminium lid and cut a piece of Perspex to the same dimensions.
ive basically copied the same format as the Mark 1 as shown at the beginning of this thread and even used the Mark 1 copper pipe roller/twizzlers.
upgrades are, ive used a cheap off the shelf automotive boot light which uses a festoon bulb for a back light. this is 12v and will be wired to the bikes battery. i'll be using some bullet connectors or similar so that I can unplug it as and when required.
to clamp it to the handle bars ive use some cheapy (£1.99 of ebay) 10mm mirror clamps. be careful here as these are a M10 fine thread and not the std M10 bolts you get from B&Q etc.
ive also used a large O-ring to assist in keeping tension on the other roller/twizzler.
hope this helps or provides ideas to anyone who's making one of these.
best of luck.  ;)

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2018, 07:04:21 pm »
That looks pretty indestructible :o.  Have you any idea how bright the backlight will be at night?  Admittedly, I'm using LED strips, but I've stuck a potentiometer in my route holder so I can adjust the light level.  I found I was taking too long to get my night vision back with no adjustment.

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2018, 09:51:47 pm »
Now fitted to my bike. just got to take it round for an MOT tomorrow and we are ready.  ;D

Have you any idea how bright the backlight will be at night?  Admittedly, I'm using LED strips, but I've stuck a potentiometer in my route holder so I can adjust the light level.  I found I was taking too long to get my night vision back with no adjustment.

ive tried it and its pretty dim like me. so that's good. I tried the LED path and found I was getting blinded by it so gone down this route. i'll feed back after the Exeter. i'll either be happy or a Mark 3 might be on the cards. at least we are logging the development process on here so people can go straight to the answer rather than mess around trying stuff.  ::)

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2018, 01:57:50 pm »
That looks excellent.....  :)
Posts by myself are personal posts and in no way are an official expression of the MCC. or the MCC Committee.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2018, 01:58:53 pm »
You need RED LED's so your night vision is not affected.....

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2018, 02:02:39 pm »
Oh... And you might need a drain hole....  :)

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2019, 04:32:33 pm »
looks like someone has taken my idea and is selling them on ebay. even using the copper pipe and walking stick ends.  >:(

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROADBOOK-HOLDER-LONG-DISTANCE-TRIALS-RALLY-2-SIZES-AVAILABLE-WYEGATE-ROAD-BOOK/303137234523?hash=item4694631e5b:g:ndIAAOSwYblc9W1f

oh well good luck to him.

“Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness.” ― Oscar Wilde  ;)

Offline Paul Wheatley

• Club Members
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2019, 01:58:55 pm »
Last year I made a reader box similar to your "Mk2" using an ABS, rather than aluminium electrical junction box but after completion I realised that having to remove small screws holding the lid was very fiddly, certainly while out on the road.

So my "Mk2" looks like your Mk1. I used a sandwich box which has a clip-on lid and a rubber seal. For the rollers I used 22mm o.d. UPVC plastic overflow pipe with a couple of pieces of 18mm dowel glued in the ends. Instead of cutting large holes for the rollers in the box ends, I drilled small holes for the fixing screws to pass through the wall, allowing the rollers to stay inside the box. I fitted number plastic number plate fixing screw washers with attached caps under the screws, which allowed me to adjust the tension on the rollers by tightening / loosening the fixing screws.

I made some "knobs" from short lengths of the 18mm dowel inside pieces of heater hose to help the grip.

For back lighting I fitted a miniature LED number plate light, powered by a couple of  AAA batteries in a switched battery holder which is located on the exterior of the box with stick-on Velcro. 
PW.

Alastair Queen

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2019, 04:06:12 pm »
I'd struggle with reading the print..has anyone made a box with a magnifying lid? Or would that be too alarming? :)

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2019, 07:17:42 pm »
Just get the e Route version and you can have whatever size print you like.  :)