Author Topic: Beetle - Electric Fuel Pump  (Read 3220 times)

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
Beetle - Electric Fuel Pump
« on: October 24, 2016, 02:59:13 pm »
Can anyone recommend an electric fuel pump for a 1300 beetle without breaking the bank? An electric fuel pump makes life much easier when working on the engine.  Pull the fuse, or install a switch in the 12 V supply line when you just want to crank the engine and not fire it up, or want to prime the system before cranking the engine.

According to the Haynes manual, the mechanical fuel pump pushes out 3.5 psi.  I've seen a Facet Posi-Flo fuel pump that seems to be right for the task; it pushes out 1.5 to 4 psi.  However, when you look on the various beetle parts sites, they state there is the possibility that I 'might' need to install a pressure regulator. I wouldn't have thought an extra 0.5 psi pressure would cause the float valve to open on the carburettor so it could just be a case of the parts people covering themselves in case someone sues when the car catches fire, or some other disaster occurs.

Offline Simon Woodall

• Administrator
Re: Beetle - Electric Fuel Pump
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 04:36:34 pm »
The Posi-flow pump is relatively new on the market, but the old square Solid State pump, I've fitted thousands of these in my time.   Never fitted a pressure regulator.   I might have done with one of the bigger facets - Red Top or whatever, but not this.

The VW tuning industry loves the Solid State Pumps so much that there is even a mount which allows you to fit it where the old mechanical pump used to be solving the problem of sealing that hole, and the pump comes with enough wire to just go up to the hot side of the coil so its on/off with the engine.  Plus the in and out fuel lines are all in the right place without and work.   Makes fitting the Pump a 5 minute task.
VW Heritage part number AC127313010.

Although it sounds wrong,  I would not fit a fuse.    The last thing you want is for the engine to stop in the middle of the section, just because a bit of dirt has got on the fuse and as you've wired it direct to the coil, it will go off with the ignition automatically.

Always keep the old mechanical pump (and its pushrod) in your toolbox, and then the electric one will never go wrong.

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
Re: Beetle - Electric Fuel Pump
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 05:06:15 pm »
Thanks Simon.  Just been added to my birthday wish list.

I was going to mount the electric pump on the side wall of the engine bay. The top of the engine is pretty congested with distributor, ignition leads, carburettor, vacuum hoses, etc.  Good idea about keeping the mechanical pump as a spare in the car; it'll add a bit more weight over the rear wheels  :)