Author Topic: Historic vehicle classification  (Read 108 times)

Offline Tony Bishop

• Club Members
Historic vehicle classification
« on: May 20, 2020, 08:25:03 pm »
I bought my MZ Supafive in 1982 and started my MCC career by riding it in the 1985 Edinburgh in the old road tyre Class A.
The bike was constructed in 1979 but not UK registered until 16th May 1980.
Consequently, yesterday, off I popped to the Post Office, clutching form V112 which is a self certification MOT exemption that the vehicle is 40 years old, to get the taxation class changed to "historic" and so save myself a whole £44 pa.
Sorry, says the nice lady in the Post Office, if the vehicle was registered after 7th January 1980 then the 40 year rule does not apply until 2021 !!
But, says I, on 16th May 2020 the bike had been registered for 40 years so surely should be eligible for historic status.
I am very sorry says the nice lady but go home and read the website page about historic eligibility and all should become clear, or at least slightly less vague.
So, my interpretation is that the DVLA only update their records ( whatever that means, I thought they used computers nowadays ) once a year in April so in my case, as my bike was registered in May, I will have to wait until after the update in April 2021 before I can apply for historic status.
So much for the "rolling 40 year rule", in my case it is the "rolling 41 year rule" !!! Definitely a case of when 40 actually means 41.
Needless to say, some of you will have noticed that the construction date was 1979, so if I got dating certificate from the VMCC then I could apply for the historic status based on that as the criteria is the date of manufacture but of course Covid 19 has put paid to that idea.
Interesting though that V112 self certification is sufficient that the vehicle is MOT exempt as it is over 40 years old but to get the taxation class changed for exactly the same reason one has to jump through several flaming hoops.
You couldn't make it up.
Guess I will just have to stump up the £44 and wait until next April when I can re-classify and claim a tax refund for the one month left - a whole £3.66 - yippee.
Shame though, I have been counting the months to May 2020 in the mistaken belief that my "baby" would become historic !!
 ;D  ;D

Offline Alastair Queen

• Club Members
Re: Historic vehicle classification
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 12:50:08 pm »
Oh dear!

Well, if that's an issue, can you not tax it month by month, on direct debit? Or, SORN it whilst not using it?  I do that with my daily drivers....whilst both are insured [it's cheaper in the long run, for me] I will tax or sorn from one month to the next, as the mood strikes.....doing it online is eeziepeezie.
Mind, if you think DVLA are bad, wait until you think you're old enough to qualify for winter heating allowance? Or, a bus pass? The qualification date is January 31st. If your birthday is on February 1st, you have to wait a whole year and a half to receive the dosh...[It's only dished out come October /November, starting in that qualifying year.....]

>:( >:( >:(

Offline Mark Gregg

• Club Members
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 03:43:58 pm »
Spot on Alistair that's exactly how i mange the tax and insurance for my toys. although to be fair the insurance for the 7 is only 80 quid a year and tax is free my bikes seem to have insurance costs that bear no relation to risk my velo solex and its powerful 1/2 hp 49.5cc engine costs 140 a year more than my 1975 400four which is a flying machine and nicely desirable. 

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
  • AKA: Ratty.
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 06:43:41 pm »
Well now I know there is a start date.... :)
Posts by myself are personal posts and in no way are an official expression of the MCC. or the MCC Committee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_3KP7X8RQ4

Offline Tony Bishop

• Club Members
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 09:32:22 pm »
As a member of the VMCC I contacted them to see if I can get a dating certificate which can be used to prove to the DVLA that the construction date is 1979.
Apparently, in the current climate, the DVLA are accepting dating certificates based on photographic evidence of the construction date, evidence which will be easy for me to supply as the VIN plate lists the make/model, frame number and year of construction.
I am now waiting to hear back from the VMCC if they have an official available to issue a dating certificate.
Once I have that, at a cost of £30, I will be able to apply for a change to historic status saving me a whole £14 - yippee.  ;D

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 09:47:38 pm »
Can the MCC not issue dating certificates?
Posts by myself are personal posts and in no way are an official expression of the MCC. or the MCC Committee.

Offline Tony Bishop

• Club Members
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2020, 01:22:17 pm »
I am pretty sure the MCC doesn't have the authority to issue dating certificates, these are issued by DVLA specifically authorised organisations such as owners clubs and the VMCC who can normally access factory records.

Offline Tim Kingham

• Club Members
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 04:06:33 pm »
There is a list of authorized clubs on the dvla site.
If you do anything with DVLA use signed for post and duplicate all paperwork sent to them

Offline Mark Gregg

• Club Members
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2020, 04:23:47 pm »
https://www.dvlaadvice.co.uk/v765X1-list-of-vehicle-owners-clubs.pdf

This is the list of specific named clubs that can acceptably date a vehicle.

The MCC is not make or model or type specific so is not amongst that list.

On the subject of class 2 amendments, alongside class 5, this is an exciting opportunity to show that the MCC is open for business for all types of vehicle and welcomes entries from any and all sporting owners. By significantly opening up entries to even more like minded clubs participation on MCC events will only increase and in balance many more events will likely become open to MCC members making MCC membership even better value.

Who wouldn't like to see more HSTA, VSCC, BTRDA  eligible cars as well as more motorcycles from Adventure bikes to monkey bikes Pre65 to commuter bikes on the famous MCC hills.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2020, 10:55:24 am »
Some years ago The MCC dated two of my Velocettes with supporting manufactured date lists.

These were sent to the DVLA and approved........