Author Topic: The Scatter - Still a chance for you ?  (Read 4362 times)

Offline Jonathan Laver

• Club Members
The Scatter - Still a chance for you ?
« on: May 04, 2016, 11:53:34 pm »
The Somerset Scatter does not rest easily with many members of the MCC who are orientated around the three main trials and who`s machines are set up for trialling. One cannot be surprised if the support for it appears to be poor and wonder why our club resources are not going into the events that require them. The full event starting at midnight, is upon the same scale as one of our trials, covering a similar distance and finishing late in the afternoon. The controls that a competitor may visit are set to ensure you will meet metaled road conditions that are extreme (relative to normal motoring). Some controls are set to accommodate those that low slung sports cars or so less experience rider’s, drivers. Each control has a road condition guide, so you know what to expect. We took our normal road car on low profiles to each of the 82 controls, thus having a good understanding of what is possible. Agreed I did not ride a bike around them and there is a lot of loose material upon some rural roads. In respect of MCC resources, a team of less than ten people will have been involved in total. Last year’s event helped support our main events. The MCC has always put on motor events for enthusiasts and this is the most recent offering. It would be good to have a few more entries than we currently have. We have chosen to extend the entry closing date to Wednesday the 11th May. If you’re a trialist or just a green laner why not give it a go. It is a motoring experienced not to be missed – if you thought of it as a type of treasure hunt, those that did the full event last year will all put you right. 
Jonathan L.

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
Re: The Scatter - Still a chance for you ?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 08:44:18 am »
A fantastic event in 2015. I entered on a 650 cc road bike and had a terrific time, whizzing round a variety of roads (A roads, B roads and lesser roads) in the night and then day. But, as shown, you don't need a big capacity engine; the bike class was won on a 223 cc Yamaha Serow.

As for the question and answer at each control, that's merely to prove that you reached the control. The alternative would have been to have 40 odd marshals sitting at each control through the night, then again through the day. It seems to be difficult enough getting marshals at the normal trials where they can at least see some of the action so marshals are going to be even more difficult to obtain for a scatter rally.

The roads are exactly as we would ride/drive on the Lands End Trial or the Exeter Trial so road tyres or knobblies are equally suitable.

I'm entered in this year's event on a 1,000 cc road bike so based on last year's results, I've even less chance of taking the bike class. But what an excuse to thunder across Exmoor and the Somerset countryside and meet up with like-minded people.

Offline Jonathan Laver

• Club Members
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 10:54:40 pm »
Pleased you enjoyed the 2015 event Paul. We are retaining quite a bit of the same country side and areas that you think you have seen BUT most of the locations have changed and 100% of the clues have. Having learnt from last year’s rapid growth of vegetation during the summer we have attempted to make the controls quicker to confirm. If you think the 2nd MCC Scatter is going to be easier that the 1st  you might be in for a disappointment. “Haven`t you got a smaller machine than a 1000cc” it sounds like an RAC call out just to pick it up !
Jonathan L.

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 03:24:18 pm »
You can't beat more cc's on a road bike; well, up to a point I suppose. No way would I like to pick up one the larger BMW GS models. Honda tell me the weight of my bike is all low down and is lower than other models in its' class so I'm going to believe them. Anyway, I'm more clued up this time as to what is required so I'm in with a better chance  ::)