Author Topic: Tyre compressor  (Read 211 times)

Offline Adrian Payne

• Club Members
Tyre compressor
« on: April 22, 2020, 04:45:59 pm »
Hello Guys.
I am looking to add a hard wired compressor to the trials car and wondered what sort of kit most people use.
Many thanks.
Adrian.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
  • AKA: Ratty.
Re: Tyre compressor
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2020, 06:31:32 pm »
Co2 Cylinder and regulator.....  :)
Posts by myself are personal posts and in no way are an official expression of the MCC. or the MCC Committee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_3KP7X8RQ4

Offline Tony Bishop

• Club Members
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 02:50:00 pm »
Oh yes, definitely a regulator.
Many years ago my pal Gary McCarthy and I were riding in a VERY WET Edinburgh, remember those ???
Anyway, just as we were about to enter a green lane from the A515, Gary punctured the front tyre of his MZ so in the pouring rain I managed to remove the wheel while Gary held the front of the bike up before we gently laid the bike on it's side on the verge.
We then proceeded to replace the tube whilst kneeling in what appeared to be the middle of a river. Tube and tyre replaced we had just started to pump the tyre with the miniscule hand pump that we carried when our knights in shining armour appeared.
Actually they were two very soggy inhabitants of an open trials car who stopped to enquire if they could assist and when they realised we were just at the pumping up stage, jumped out and opened the boot to reveal a wonderful CO2 bottle. I could have given them both a kiss !!
However when the connector was produced one of the crew warned us that although they had a bottle there was no regulator and that inflation was by opening and closing the valve, VERY QUICKLY !!!!
It was with a degree of trepidation that the connector was fitted to the valve and a quick "flash" of the valve handle saw the tyre slam up on the rim and not actually explode. Job done we thought, just got to release some pressure and off we go, but nope.
As the connector was removed there was an almighty exhalation of air from the valve and we thought we may well have forgotten to fit the valve but when checked the core was firmly in place.
The valve was then removed and what had happened was that the tiny rubber seal in the centre of the core was missing and must have been blown clean off by the initial
inflation !!
Anyway a spare core was fitted and we risked another inflation "flash", this time with success.
Amazing what you are prepared to do when tired and VERY WET.

Offline Dermot Murray

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2020, 09:00:14 am »
I have a small compressor with the flexible hose, but it does take some time to inflate tyres.

What compressed air and regulator set up are people using?
Are the bottles and regulators widely available?

Offline Kevin Sharp

• Club Members
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 11:43:22 am »
Hi. I have used a couple of these off ebay in the past.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/T-MAX-HEAVY-DUTY-12V-PORTABLE-COMPRESSOR-VAN-CAR-4X4-TUCK-FAST-TYRE-PUMP/220521837179?epid=20034032928&hash=item335820327b:g:VfcAAOxyPLpRckl9

I use one connected to an old mains air compressor tank as a reservoir at the moment and previously used an old lorry air tank. I charge up the air tank to about 150psi before required and then run the compressor while I inflate the tyres. It takes about 2 minutes to inflate 2 x 15inch tyres. Very reliable and fast. Switch on the dashboard and away you go. (I use a relay to the battery as it draws about 40 amps)
Good luck. Kevin