Author Topic: Daf 33; Suitable For Trialing?  (Read 2468 times)

Offline Sam Holmes

• Club Members
Re: Daf 33; Suitable For Trialing?
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2020, 07:36:45 pm »
Remember that fitting larger tires wont help ground clearance that much once you let them down.

Offline Andy Hutchings

• Club Members
  • Major Denis Bloodnok, Ind. Army (Ret) Coward & Bar
Re: Daf 33; Suitable For Trialing?
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2020, 08:18:19 am »
My uncle Cyril (an MT colour sergeant in the RMs) had a Daf 33 then a 66 in the '70s. He drove all over the place in those little cars - Scotland, Wales, Derbyshire, from Devon, with 4 adults onboard and towing a trailer. It never let him (them) down. Mind you, they didn't go fast as such.....two days to NE Scotland. In summer '76 they were overtaken by a hedge fire in Shropshire. They knew how to live, my aunt and uncle!

Wow, what a guy! A REAL Daffer! The summer of '76 was a great summer for me, too! Once again, many thanks to everyone who has advised me and made suggestions regarding my plans and answered questions I raised. I'm also a committee member of the Daf Owners' Club and have taken advice from them as well. I'm now planning to run my Daf with 135 profile radial tyres, and will be protecting the brake and vacuum pipes under the car by using 2mm plastic sheeting, which can be moulded when warm to fit into the space above the exhaust pipe (another job to do during lock-down...) I don't intend to alter the drivetrain in any way and will make careful measurement as to the under-body clearance, since there seems to be a divergence of opinion as to what it is; several answers are available from differing sources.....

I'll post more once things move on a little....
I don't know that you've done to me, sir, but you've done me a power of good!