Author Topic: Citroen Dyane (2CV) Three-wheeler Build  (Read 2020 times)

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
Re: Citroen Dyane (2CV) Three-wheeler Build
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2020, 05:22:05 pm »
Going to have to buy something first. First time in my life I've not got a motorcycle. Seems very odd.

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2020, 09:22:31 am »
What about all those bikes you played about with.  Didn't you develop an MZ/CZ and a BSA?

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2020, 10:22:30 pm »
All gone now. No where to keep it all at the new place. I've down sized. Once I've sold the old house I should be OK to build a new workshop at the new house and get something started. I'm thinking of something that fits in class c so I can ride round with Rick.

I'd love to have a car project but I have to be realistic, I think space constraints will prevent me from going down this avenue.

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2020, 11:06:10 am »
I think space constraints will prevent me from going down this avenue.
I know exactly what you mean.

Back on the three-wheeler build, we entered the Edinburgh 2012, reckoning we'd be finished in time.  By September the MoT was arranged for nine days before the Edinburgh :o.  The car passed, but there was a problem; the mechanical fuel pump gave up the ghost at the testing garage :-[.  They very kindly lent me an SU electric pump, which I jerry-rigged to get the car back home.  At least I had the MoT.  There was some frantic research and phone calls and a few days later I fitted a new Facet electric fuel pump :).

Facet pump 60106

The new fuel pump was installed in the engine compartment so that the fuel line within the cabin was now on the scavenge side, not the pressure side.  That way, if the fuel pipe leaked or ruptured, the cabin wouldn’t fill up with petrol under pressure :o.  Well, some pressure, but only that from the force of gravity.

The Friday evening of the Edinburgh Trial 2012 arrived.  Me and my dad set off to the start at Tamworth.  The rain bucketed down, but we were kitted out in motorcycle gear and crash helmets so stayed dry.  We did manage to lose a wiper blade, fortunately it fell into one of the spare wheels so wasn’t lost. 

We failed scrutineering and weren’t allowed to start :-[.  I’d failed to read the regulations in the route card thoroughly and made some wrong assumptions.  I’d assumed three-wheelers fell under the ACU, totally and would be treated like an outfit.  No. We lacked a fire extinguisher, an oil spill kit and a reverse light.  An oil spill kit could be sorted out, but the rest not.  A cup of tea, then a dejected return home :(.

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2020, 07:49:26 am »
So now to try the Exeter 2013 and get the car prepared properly.  Enquiries to the club produced some very helpful advice from chief scrutineer Barrie Kirton.  All the missing bits were sourced and fitted, together with improved, raised suspension at the rear.  My dad was forced to withdraw and, to be honest, the Exeter trial was probably going to be too long for him; he was also a rubbish navigator ::).  Lydia (my youngest daughter), stepped up and signed on as navigator :D.

On January 4th 2013, we were at Popham for the Exeter start.  The weather was mild, no rain and none predicted.  I think temperatures were about 12 degC, which is incredibly warm for that time of the year, though probably not now.  The car breezed through Sparkford scrutineering, though, there was a comment about the hot exposed exhaust headers, but that’s no different from a bike or an outfit. 

Exeter Trial 2013 Haynes, Sparkford scrutineering, Barrie Kirton giving it the once-over

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2020, 08:34:14 am »
Been a while, but I found time to load some more photos of the Exeter Trial 2013.  There was a special test at Sparkford and, surprisingly, that car could shift!  We flew through the special tests, cleaned some sections magnificently and we finished.  We both received our finishers’ certificates with relish.  For me, it had been a long time coming.  For Lydia, it was well deserved; she was an excellent navigator and had even got out and pushed the car out of some slippery conditions when needed.

[/url]
Exeter Trial 2013 Fingle on the escape road after failing

Exeter Trial 2013 again; no idea what section