Author Topic: Tyre Rack legality  (Read 263 times)

Offline Dermot Murray

Tyre Rack legality
« on: July 14, 2020, 07:24:28 am »
Good morning
I was pondering the issue of carrying spare wheels and noticed a few cars carry spares either bolted to the rear boot lid (as per X90) or on a rack (as per VW Beetle).
If I was to build a rack for the rear of my Morris Minor would it be legal in class 3 or class 0?

I ask about either class 3 or class 0 as I cannot decide which class I'm going to enter with my Morris Minor.

Regards

Dermot.

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
Re: Tyre Rack legality
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 07:58:40 am »
If its your first time I would definitely recommend class O. It will be mostly the same hill's as all the other class's but minus the real nasty ones. Class O can be rough and you don't want to bust your moggy first time out. Its always nice to get to the end and get that finishing certificate. I did class O a few times in an x90. Even got some medals on the last two trials.   ;D  Really enjoyed it.

Don't forget you will be missing a nights sleep. Its just as hard on you as it is on the car. I used to take some cans of red bull. It helped me get through the 4.30 am slump and got me through to breakfast.

Offline Simon Woodall

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 10:27:36 am »
Motorsports Yearbook - aka The Blue Book - THE RULES.
T10.10.1. Not more than two spare wheels may be carried externally, and these must be fitted as close as possible to the
bodywork (excluding bumpers).
T10.10.4. The spare wheel(s) or mounting(s) may not extend rearwards more that 200mm from a vertical line passing through the rearmost part of the original bodywork (excluding bumpers), or more than 100mm beyond the rearmost part of the original bumper position for the model of vehicle, whichever creates the lesser protrusion.

Such a spare wheel rack would still be legal in Class 3, When you build the rack, give consideration to rear vision:-

T9.8.5. Rearward vision whilst properly seated within the confines of the vehicle’s bodywork or ROPS must be possible. Vehicles with solid rear bulkheads or an obstructed view along the centreline of the longitudinal axis must be fitted with either external rear view mirrors or a reversing camera. Mirrors and/or cameras must be operational during competition.

Offline Dermot Murray

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 11:33:10 am »
If its your first time I would definitely recommend class O. It will be mostly the same hill's as all the other class's but minus the real nasty ones. Class O can be rough and you don't want to bust your moggy first time out. Its always nice to get to the end and get that finishing certificate. I did class O a few times in an x90. Even got some medals on the last two trials.   ;D  Really enjoyed it.

Don't forget you will be missing a nights sleep. Its just as hard on you as it is on the car. I used to take some cans of red bull. It helped me get through the 4.30 am slump and got me through to breakfast.

Jason

Thanks for the advice, I will more than likely opt for class 0 as a first outing but I'm sure the bug will bite and I will want to try those difficult hills in time.
I have worked the night shift covering 7 ten hour shifts for many years so I know all about the mid shift slump, unfortunately I cannot stand the taste of energy drinks so I have to make do with strong coffee and chocolate.

Regards

Dermot.

Offline Dermot Murray

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2020, 11:40:05 am »
Motorsports Yearbook - aka The Blue Book - THE RULES.
T10.10.1. Not more than two spare wheels may be carried externally, and these must be fitted as close as possible to the
bodywork (excluding bumpers).
T10.10.4. The spare wheel(s) or mounting(s) may not extend rearwards more that 200mm from a vertical line passing through the rearmost part of the original bodywork (excluding bumpers), or more than 100mm beyond the rearmost part of the original bumper position for the model of vehicle, whichever creates the lesser protrusion.

Such a spare wheel rack would still be legal in Class 3, When you build the rack, give consideration to rear vision:-

T9.8.5. Rearward vision whilst properly seated within the confines of the vehicle’s bodywork or ROPS must be possible. Vehicles with solid rear bulkheads or an obstructed view along the centreline of the longitudinal axis must be fitted with either external rear view mirrors or a reversing camera. Mirrors and/or cameras must be operational during competition.

Hi Simon

Yes I have looked at the blue book and understand where the rack would fit, and also maintain rearward vision, I was querying if the racks are legal in the Class 0 and Class 3.
You have answered my question so thank you.
I think my rack design will fold down to allow access to the boot area, so yes I have a plan in my head how it will look, just need to ensure it will stay within the limits of the blue book.

Thanks for your assistance

Dermot.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
  • AKA: Ratty.
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2020, 11:10:49 am »
Yes "Legal" as long as they comply with the regulations. in Any Class.

What you have is a Class 3 Car....... Running in Class 0.

In effect "Class Zero" is "Group Zero". As the other Classes Run in "Group Main Trial".

And "Class R" Is "Group R".

Your vehicle must conform to one of the Classes A-D or 1 - 9. and you elect to run in whatever "Trial Group" you would like. Main, Zero or R.

Hope this helps.   :)

Posts by myself are personal posts and in no way are an official expression of the MCC. or the MCC Committee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_3KP7X8RQ4

Offline Dermot Murray

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2020, 11:46:08 am »
Yes "Legal" as long as they comply with the regulations. in Any Class.

What you have is a Class 3 Car....... Running in Class 0.

In effect "Class Zero" is "Group Zero". As the other Classes Run in "Group Main Trial".

And "Class R" Is "Group R".

Your vehicle must conform to one of the Classes A-D or 1 - 9. and you elect to run in whatever "Trial Group" you would like. Main, Zero or R.

Hope this helps.   :)

Having read it twice, yes it makes perfect sense, thank you. :)