Author Topic: Virus - a new lease of life for the forum?  (Read 504 times)

Offline Tim Kingham

• Club Members
Virus - a new lease of life for the forum?
« on: March 15, 2020, 05:51:15 pm »
Ok the bike/cars are done all ready for a Trial now postponed and the days may drag
Perhaps with a little encouragement the forum may flower
(I still have 5 bikes to build ::) ::) but I wlll keep an eye out in here as well)

david@whitepost.me.uk

Re: Virus - a new lease of life for the forum?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 01:23:49 pm »
With 5 bikes to build, a good build thread is always interesting.

Take lots of pictures and post them on here!!!

Offline Tim Kingham

• Club Members
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 09:56:54 am »
Would that I could! I took a picture reduced it to below the minimum tried every way to post it
the nearest I got was with the key sequence but it " could not follow the path" (sounds like me on litton slack!)
I also tried [img] XXXXX [img]
and the Browse box which got the name but nothing else
preview was blank
Oh dear!

david@whitepost.me.uk

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 09:41:06 pm »
I load my photos into Flickr and then reference to Flickr from here.  I think I wrote something here. http://www.themotorcyclingclub.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=245.0

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2020, 08:47:51 am »
There's also Jason's instructions on uploading images at http://www.themotorcyclingclub.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=73.0

Offline Tim Kingham

• Club Members
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2020, 09:17:33 am »
If we get a new IT man then a good idea is to sort our an easy picture route on the forum THAT would liven it up.

Offline Mark Gregg

• Club Members
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2020, 11:43:18 am »
|One of my few working customers at the moment is a web designer and he has had a look at our current IT offering and he says the forum is one of the better bits and fit for purpose :)

david@whitepost.me.uk

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2020, 08:59:58 am »
If we get a new IT man then a good idea is to sort our an easy picture route on the forum THAT would liven it up.

It's not hard to sort it.  The club just needs to pay for more space to host the pictures on the forum.

Most forums use linked photos from photo hosting sites such as Flickr and the like.  This reduces the costs to the forum.  It is easy, once you know how to do it.

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2020, 09:48:19 am »
If I can post photos, then anyone with a little bit of savvy can do it because that's all I'm using  ;).  Jason's instructions will show you how http://www.themotorcyclingclub.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=73.0 .

Learning something new will keep your brain turning over and help stop it deteriorating.  Take your pick; learn a new language, learn a musical instrument, or learn to post images  ;D.  You've got to come out of the garage at some stage  ???.

Offline Alastair Queen

• Club Members
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2020, 10:21:51 am »
You've got to come out of the garage at some stage  ???.
Noooooo!
That would only lead to having to do the washing up!!!

Offline Tim Kingham

• Club Members
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2020, 12:50:49 pm »
i really dont want to use a photo hosting site on all my other forums I just load it from computer file system check the size in my photo manipulator (eg paint.net or in my case its Linux equivalent) and then paste to the post.  Or in a few cases save and link and this is important from my own computer

david@whitepost.me.uk

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2020, 11:32:48 am »
Why don't you pay for the extra storage for the club then??     ;)

We've given you a solution, it's up to you to use it or not. 

Offline Tim Kingham

• Club Members
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2020, 08:39:27 am »
Aside from privacy concerns making the process easier would make it more accessible and popular
never the less its a great adjunct to the club and I enjoy using it.

david@whitepost.me.uk

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2020, 09:42:30 am »
Aside from privacy concerns making the process easier would make it more accessible and popular
never the less its a great adjunct to the club and I enjoy using it.

You know, Tim, I'm all for making it easier, and frankly you're quite right.  The club has funds, but the club's committee seem to talk a lot about improvements but don't seem to take any action on this, as most action would be not the done thing in the 1950s so it shouldn't be done at all now.  All it needs to spend some money on picture storage and we would be able to attach pictures easily.

I don't know if you've noticed but it seems like someone has removed all of our avatars in an attempt to create space however, this hasn't worked.  I have asked Simon whether he has done it, as he is the only other person with an admin account, however I've not yet received a reply. (exactly a month ago).

As I've said, the committee could do something about it, but they'd probably need umpteen meetings to make a decision, then once the decision has been made, it would be conveniently forgotten about as acting on that decision would mean change, and we don't like change.

Seems like I've been a bit ranty, but during this Covid-19 crisis, so many innovations have been made, Universities have converted all of their teaching to online teaching for example, but we can't get attach pictures on a forum!!!! 

Offline Alastair Queen

• Club Members
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2020, 10:15:39 am »
I have asked Simon whether he has done it, as he is the only other person with an admin account, however I've not yet received a reply. (exactly a month ago).
That's because, he has taken all the avatars and turned them into fridge magnets........:)