Author Topic: Lands' End Trial Postponed  (Read 99 times)

Offline David (tufty) White

• Administrator
  • getting away with it so far
Lands' End Trial Postponed
« on: March 15, 2020, 01:10:58 pm »
LANDS END:   Clerk of Course Bill Rosten makes his decision:   Mulling through the latest advice from the Government, Motorsports UK and various media, I have been discussing this with quite a few people and listening to their advice.   

I am of the opinion that we ought to postpone the Land's End rather than cancel or indeed to carry on trying to run it.  We have within the team discussed ways of:

1. doing away with the need for officials to handle either the declaration or control cards.
2. doing away with competitors signing on & off.
3. providing extra washing facilities.

Whilst this may be possible and even desirable, it will not eliminate the risk of transmission.    Relying on competitors and officials to withdraw if they feel unwell only takes one so far.  There are a number of unknown factors such as a period when an individual may be infectious but not yet showing symptoms.

The Covid 19 outbreak is still spreading and curtailing our activities generally is a major step to limit its spread.   Our event is low risk BUT there are areas where the risk of passing on this disease would be higher, such as controls in confined spaces (Barbrook) or rest halts (Bridgwater & Wilsey Down).     I am not willing to place our officials and competitors in a position where they might be more exposed to the coronavirus, let alone the individuals and firms that supply facilities and refreshments.    My feeling is that there will be more likelihood in the near future of events being closed down and a possibility that more of us will be confined to quarters.   The current outbreak is not showing any signs of slowing down in either this country or our neighbours.  Hopefully, over the next few weeks, we will understand how best to tackle this problem.

Accordingly I propose that we delay the running of the Land's End until 11th/12th September  (TBC), which does not conflict with ACTC events.   Taking this decision now will give people time to make alternative arrangements with hotels etc.   

I apologise to anyone inconvenienced by this decision.

Offline Tim Kingham

• Club Members
Re: Lands' End Trial Postponed
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 09:59:05 am »
Quick turn around for the Edingburgh !

Offline Myke Pocock

• Club Members
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 06:55:32 pm »
That could have an effect on entries for The Edinburgh. My view is that it is not the fault of the organising team of The Edinburgh that the LE has been cancelled and to penalise them is unfair. Why not simply cancel the LE this year. In addition marshals may not wish to go out to two long distance trials within weeks so that could also have an effect on one or both trials. After all it is a thankless task to get sufficent marshals (I know having done it!) at the best of times.

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2020, 08:28:08 am »
The latest from News of the Week newsletter 4 April 2020:

'The decision has now been formally made to cancel the Lands End for this year.   Refunds will be made to all competitors in line with the Event Regulations.   There is NO option to carry your entry fees over to the Edinburgh, it makes life too complex for the treasurer.   The treasurer will refund those who paid online back thorough Sage Pay.   Those who paid by BACS/Cheque will be refunded by BACS.   Both processes are time consuming.   He estimates that this will take him between 40 to 60 hours.   There is no way that this can be done in one hit so competitors are asked to be patient.'