Author Topic: Driving a car & trailer combination over 70 years of age?  (Read 604 times)

Alastair Queen

Driving a car & trailer combination over 70 years of age?
« on: January 21, 2020, 10:20:34 am »
Has anybody recently renewed their driving licence at age 70?

Has anybody noticed whether their B+E category [for driving a vehicle up to 3500kgs, towing a trailer of any weight, [ up to a max train weight of 8250kgs]]...has been changed so that it now meets only the post Jan 2013 B+E rules?
[These rules effectively mean, with a B+E category, one an only drive a car + trailer combination, up to a maximum combined MAM of 3500kgs.]

Which, to my understanding means, anybody with a 4x4 towing a trailer with another vehicle on it, can no longer drive this past age 70.....unless one undergoes a full lGV medical?

{ I surrendered my cat C+E on renewal due to the cost of the medical, and as I'm retired, I no longer needed the temptation to earn a few quid on the side]

Has anybody over 70, who tows with a ''car'' willy-nilly as before, noticed if any changes as outlined above have actually occurred?

Offline Mark Gregg

• Club Members
Re: Driving a car & trailer combination over 70 years of age?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2020, 05:36:04 pm »
oops... i think my 85 year old dad will be surprised to learn this.. hes only just given up towing the caravan and still uses a trailer for his small boat.. dot want to spoil his day he s out hanging bunting for his brexit leaving party tonight.. 1950's bring it on :(

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
  • AKA: Ratty.
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2020, 12:11:14 am »
Has anybody recently renewed their driving licence at age 70?

Has anybody noticed whether their B+E category [for driving a vehicle up to 3500kgs, towing a trailer of any weight, [ up to a max train weight of 8250kgs]]...has been changed so that it now meets only the post Jan 2013 B+E rules?
[These rules effectively mean, with a B+E category, one an only drive a car + trailer combination, up to a maximum combined MAM of 3500kgs.]

Which, to my understanding means, anybody with a 4x4 towing a trailer with another vehicle on it, can no longer drive this past age 70.....unless one undergoes a full lGV medical?

{ I surrendered my cat C+E on renewal due to the cost of the medical, and as I'm retired, I no longer needed the temptation to earn a few quid on the side]

Has anybody over 70, who tows with a ''car'' willy-nilly as before, noticed if any changes as outlined above have actually occurred?

That's quite a weight.... More than a trials car and trailer and much more than a caravan.

Not sure it would trouble many people except commercial operators and even then if they get a medical its OK.

Posts by myself are personal posts and in no way are an official expression of the MCC. or the MCC Committee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_3KP7X8RQ4

Alastair Queen

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2020, 12:32:49 pm »
That's quite a weight.... More than a trials car and trailer and much more than a caravan.
Don't forget..the gross train weight is the combined maximum weight of prime mover plus trailer, including loads on either.
Thus...given that, for example, the average weight of a production trials car, plus the weight of the trailer it's on..then add the weights of the spares, etc....plus the weight of the towing vehicle....and one can soon hit the 5 tonne mark...
If one is using something like a Discovery to tow the car & trailer.....for example?
{The Daihatsu Fourtrak..despite not being an overly large vehicle, has a high train weight....in basic terms, can legally tow a trailer, loaded, up to 3.5 tonnes...Legally..as in, that is what the manufacturer's weight plate states. Not many 4x4-type vehicles can get near that in terms of manufacturer's plated weights...which is why farmers loved the fourtrak!}

The problem arises because it seems the new rules for those over 70, have been altered to the new rules for all new drivers that acquire B+E....in other words, the maximum, all-up combined weight of tow vehicle, and loaded trailer, must not exceed 3.5 tonnes. 
The Caravan Club have already hilited this. as many larger caravans, when towed by a typically large panzerwaggon [so popular today, for some reason?]....then the all-up weight,with loads[passengers, baggage, kitchen sink]....can well exceed 3.5 tonnes...and it appears, can no longer be driven onan over-70's renewed licence??

My own GP practice has a single tariff for medical forms to be completed, for all driving licence purposes, of £110.

I do believe, however, that for license renewal, and reversion to the old B+E rules, may only involve a medical every 3 years.
For retention of the C1+E category [to cover all, more or less]...this involves a medical every year, I believe [certainly may do so for minibus categories?]
As has been pointed out on facebook group, it is unlikely the Polizei will stop & check the licence category....the trouble will arise when there is an insurance claim.

Thus, whilst one's renewed licence may well still include B+E, it  may not mean the same as it used to do, when one was 69?

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2020, 04:27:49 pm »
Land Rover: 2130Kg.
LWT Trailer:   400 Kg.
Trials Car  :   700Kg.

Total:         3230Kg.
Posts by myself are personal posts and in no way are an official expression of the MCC. or the MCC Committee.

Offline Tony Ferrari (Nomad)

• Club Members
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2020, 09:38:02 am »
I have a similar problem as although i'm only 59, due to a notifiable medical condition I now have a three year medical review licence.

As a result I lost the C1, C1E, D1 and D1E categories that I previously held under grandfather rights off my licence:

Category C1 - You can drive vehicles between 3,500kg and 7,500kg MAM (with a trailer of up to 750 kg).
Category C1E - You can drive C1 category vehicles with a trailer over 750kg. The combined weight must not exceed 12,000kg though.
Category D1 Minibus -The vehicle shouldnít have more than 16 passenger seats or be longer than eight metres. You can also tow a trailer of up to 750kg.
Category D1E Minibus - You can drive D1 category vehicles with a trailer of over 750kg MAM. The combined MAM of both canít exceed 12,000 kg.

It is because these categories are now considered LGV categories so have a higher medical requirement.

I'm still considering getting these back by having the medical but as noted above £110 is the typical cost and i'm not sure I can justify it for the one or two times a year i'd use it.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2020, 06:24:13 pm »
Get it back......