Author Topic: Exeter Help....  (Read 2978 times)

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
Exeter Help....
« on: September 25, 2016, 04:58:56 pm »
Hi Guys, ive only joined the club recently, I've volunteered as a marshal for the Edinburgh but want to entre group 0 in the Exeter with a bike.

what do I do????:-[

I guess it starts maybe at the Haynes Museum and finishes in Torquay.

Do I leave my van at the Haynes Museum, get some accommodation in Torquay and then ride back to the van on Sunday? or do I drive to Torquay on Friday night and ride back to the start?

any thoughts would be much appreciated.

also do I need to book accommodation now, where's everyone staying and am I already too late.  :-[

Offline Tony Bishop

• Club Members
Re: Exeter Help....
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 10:26:38 pm »
Hi Jason,
See also my other comments in your Hello Newby post.
With regard to the Exeter leave your van at Haynes, stop overnight at the Palace Hotel and ride back to Sparkford on Sunday morning.
The Exeter is hard and the weather can vary between easy and bloody horrible so expect the worst.
See NOTW for information on the Palace Hotel or contact Dave Sapp, the Exeter secretary. The Palace is the formal finish of the trial where you will sign off and is also the venue for the club supper when the 2016 awards will be presented. The majority of competitors will be staying there also.

Offline rick howell

• Club Members
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 10:34:14 am »
I would check with the Palace when you book that you can leave your van at the Palace Friday night (and as you're coming from SoT I would give yourself PLENTY of time) and ride back to Haynes (75 miles approx, say 2-3 hours depending on route) in your trials gear. If they won't allow you park in their carpark then there are plenty of side streets with no parking restrictions not far away.

That way you're not risking having to ride a limping post-trial machine back to Haynes Sunday morning with ALL of your gear soaked and the will to live diminishing by the second!

If for any reason the timings all go pearshaped (M5/M6 on a friday afternoon...) you can still aim for Haynes park up instead and take minimum gear for the dinner/overnight.

Rick

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 04:50:43 pm »
Thanks for the great advice guys, much appreciated.

Also great to see the start on Friday, I had some very useful and encouraging conversations with a few members. Thanks again for the advice. I took some awesome pictures too which I've shown round a few of the guys at work. trying to drum up some interest there.

I hope the guys I picked up off the floor at the deviation on Cliff Quarry are OK today and not feeling too sore. BTW my flask has made a full recovery and now adorns a memorable dent  ;D. fortunately no tea was lost in its making.  ::)

I had a great time marshalling and if I'm not competing I will definitely be doing it again. Thanks to Pete and Andy for showing me the ropes and for the awesome breakfast after at the café in Flash.

happy days  8)