Author Topic: Beta alp: lighting the bonfire  (Read 141 times)

Offline Tim Kingham

• Club Members
Beta alp: lighting the bonfire
« on: November 24, 2019, 04:50:55 pm »
My beta Alp let me down at 2am on a trial
The sparks department is US
now a new ignition box is 250 (assuming I can find one)and I am not certain if it will sort things and if it did how well it would last
I would rather fit a more recognized aftermarket kit pazon, etc any one fitted anything to a 200 Beta Alp?
any other stories of woe in that department?

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
Re: Beta alp: lighting the bonfire
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 11:45:46 am »
If ignition box is the problem, you have nothing to lose by taking a look inside.  Admittedly, that cold prove difficult because it might be sealed with an epoxy resin.  However, if you can dig the epoxy out or cut the unit open, you might be able to see the component parts.  If the unit is a capacitor-discharge type, a lot of the times it is just the capacitor that's gone faulty, in which case you could try replacing the capacitor for a few quid.  If the unit's knackered, there's nothing to lose except a bit of time.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
  • AKA: Ratty.
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 12:28:10 pm »
My beta Alp let me down at 2am on a trial
The sparks department is US
now a new ignition box is 250 (assuming I can find one)and I am not certain if it will sort things and if it did how well it would last
I would rather fit a more recognized aftermarket kit pazon, etc any one fitted anything to a 200 Beta Alp?
any other stories of woe in that department?

Betas in particularly the 350 and 200 Alp are very reliable. Best to waterproof and seal all the electrical connections for trials.

John Lampkin BetaUK is the main importer for Bikes and spares. Generally within a couple of days of phoning him your order arrives...

Offline Paul Wheatley

• Club Members
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2019, 03:18:28 pm »
Tony, was it yourself who only got as far as Carsington during the Edinburgh in 2018? I was running the time control there and recall that a travelling marshal's bike  suffered failed ignition.

From past experience of trying to fix wobbly electronics, I'd just try to find a replacement part of the same type (possibly get a used one from a dismantler?). By the time you've messed about modifying the wiring system and the bike to accept it, it might cost you just as much time and money as a new OE part.
PW.

Offline Tim Kingham

• Club Members
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 07:30:58 am »
Yes it was me (Tim)  and its sat languishing ever since (too many bikes so little time) I did manage the lands end in my normal road car (wife driving) which was surprisingly enjoyable  but I must make an effort this season I do have another bike option but its best to have a backup I am acutely aware I dont have many more trials as I did my first about 55 years ago (there's an idea, an old timers award!)

anyway I found these guys
http://www.carmoelectronics.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=493_4686_2711_4636
looks costly, anyone ever used them?
Tim

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2019, 11:07:32 am »
anyway I found these guys
http://www.carmoelectronics.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=493_4686_2711_4636
looks costly, anyone ever used them?
Tim
They've got some good reviews on facebook if they're true reviews ;) https://en-gb.facebook.com/pg/Carmo.electronics/reviews/ .  Their website says that the repairs are carried out in the Netherlands; their UK address is just a collection point.  211 is a bit cheaper than 250.

Offline Tim Kingham

• Club Members
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 05:57:16 pm »
Well I have posted if off....