Author Topic: Newby Hello  (Read 5782 times)

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
Newby Hello
« on: September 25, 2016, 04:34:45 pm »
Hi Guys, I've just recently joined the club and am quickly saying hi, hope you are all well and ready for next weekend.  :D

I plan on entering the Exeter in Jan so will have loads of questions to ask about that and I've volunteered as a marshal for the Edinburgh next weekend.

I'm hoping to get down to the start at Tamworth for a mooch round to see how these events work and then I'm off up to Cliff Quarry where i'll be helping out.

I'm really looking forward to it so if I don't see you at the start i'll see you at Cliff Quarry.

good luck
Jason   

PS is there a marshals bit of the Forum or is that somewhere else on this site?

Offline Jonathan Laver

• Club Members
Re: Newby Hello
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 07:28:55 pm »
Hi Jason,
When the last competitor has left the section you have marshalled upon, you will be an expert.  You will know why vehicles failed and what were the best routes to take. To this end marshalling is a good experience for anyone who intends to compete. Cliff Quarry can be muddy, so foot wear and a spare set of cloths might be a good idea & your hot drinks and snacks. When you get to the section find the person in charge (who will also be looking for you). Make sure you “sign on” as a marshal. This provides you with insurance cover while marshalling, provides the Club your details and puts you into a marshals Draw with Cash Prizes of £25, £50 and £100. Thanks for coming out to help - have a good time.
Regards Jonathan
Jonathan L.

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 08:26:44 pm »
Thanks Jonathan, bringing a friend too. He's been marshalling for years at various motor circuits so is really interested in this event as he's never been involved in this form of motor sport before. I used to Marshall at Darly Moor years ago but like I say, very different sport. Going to be a steep learning curve but can't wait to get started.  ;D

See you there

Offline Jonathan Laver

• Club Members
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 11:50:08 pm »
Hi Jason,
You do not say if you are thinking of entering the 2017 Exeter Trial upon 2, 3 or 4 wheels.  There is a Class for those that are new to the sport which offers competitors a slightly easy entry into MCC Trials – this is called Class 0. This Class covers both 2 and 4 wheeled vehicles. It might be worth considering this Class if this is your first ever event or your vehicles first Trial !  I can confirm that entries are now open.  As a rule of thumb, if you put your entry in late you will be issued a late number, which is not to everyone's liking.
Jonathan L.

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 04:55:10 pm »
Hi Jon, I have another post listed below this one called Exeter Help. I'm planning on entering the class O group on a bog standard CZ125. No point in making it easy for myself  ;D. Not sure though about the logistics. Im based near Stoke-On-Trent so will be travelling down with the bike in my van.

Is there a vehicle transporting clothes etc from the Haynes Museum to the Palace hotel? I was expecting to park up at the Museum on Friday, do the event and stay the night at the hotel then ride the bike the following day to the van. If I do this it means any clean clothes etc will have to do the trial in a bag on the bike. As I'm new to this I'm expecting to be on the floor a few times.  ::) If I've got luggage with me I can imagine it could get wet or worse. What do people normally do?

cheers

Offline Tony Bishop

• Club Members
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 10:12:59 pm »
Hi Jason,
Welcome to world of the MCC.
You should be able to leave your van at the Haynes Museum but there is no "softie" option to transport your tuxedo to Torquay. You will have to carry everything you need including spare tubes, tools, spare gloves (you almost certainly WILL get wet) as well as some basic overnight clobber. Don't worry as most of the motorcycle competitors will be carrying their gear so don't expect to have to get dressed up in the evening.
As Jonathan has said you are doing the correct thing by seeing how things go on the Edinburgh and also by marshalling but I can assure you that, as I know from experience, marshalling can be hard work, tiring and possibly wet and muddy so go prepared. Take decent waterproofs, boots, hat, umbrella perhaps, a good torch and some food and drink as you will be there quite a while. After the course closing car has passed through your section take yourself off to one of the later sections to watch, perhaps Putwell or Rakes Head. Also take plenty of photographs at Tamworth and anywhere else as everyone has their own slant on route card readers, competition number location and mounting and auxiliary lights among other useful tips.
Finally ask as many questions as you wish, make it clear that you are a trials virgin and you will probably get more information than you can handle !!!
Finally, good luck when you ride. You will enjoy yourself. Just make sure you have prepared the bike, particularly the chain and the tyres. Pack your overnight clothes in plastic bags and make sure everything is secure. Remember, you WILL fall off somewhere !!!!

Offline Lee Sample

• Club Members
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 02:14:50 pm »
Hi Jason,

not sure how it would work ref timings etc, but i will be doing the trial in my green rickman ranger, in class 0.  i'll happily transport anything you need to take to the finish and drop it at the hotel  :)  that said, you'll most likely get there before me, so could have a wait for your stuff.

just a thought  8)

Lee

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 07:27:53 pm »
Hey Lee thanks for the offer but now got a plan sorted. Going to take the van to Torquay, I booked the room for Friday too so getting there earlier in the day , chucking my stuff in the room and hopefully get some afternoon kip. Then riding to the start meeting up with Rick and Alan on the way.

We're you the guy in the Rickman who blew the diff at cliff quarry? If so how did you get on? Felt gutted for you. I was one of the marshalls who gave you a push at the top.

Jason

Offline Sam Holmes

• Club Members
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2016, 08:06:44 pm »
How was your experience marshalling on the Edinburgh? Hope you got lots of useful info. And thanks for marshalling of course!

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2016, 02:47:21 pm »
hey no thanks required it was a really enjoyable experience and the time just flew by. I'd recommend having a go at marshalling to any newbie. I did pick up a lot of info and I definitely got the bug.

I was particularly fascinated by the diversity of machines that were competing. I don't think any other form motor sport comes close. usually you would say to someone "use this bike, or that car, its the best handling/fastest motor etc." and you'd be forgiven if you plumed for a modern trail bike but then 6 Honda 90's come though the section and make it look easy. hahahaha. and those guys where having a real hoot.  8)

back off my holiday now so better get on with my CZ. Cant wait for Exeter that's all I can say.