Author Topic: Section Repairs – Exeter Trial 2020  (Read 1078 times)

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
Section Repairs – Exeter Trial 2020
« on: October 24, 2019, 03:33:08 pm »
Section repairs have been taking place recently in preparation for the Exeter Trial 2020.

Phil Tucker (Section Repairs Officer), Rick Howell and Alan Clark (Section Chief Official/Marshal for Tillerton) have surveyed the hills and produced detailed repair specifications for Tillerton, Simms, Tipley and Slippery Sam.

Geach Plant Hire Ltd Exminster was cleared to carry out the works by Devon County Council after inspecting the companies competence certificates and liability insurance etc.  Dave Geach is a 4x4 trailer and loves to spectate at Simms; he’s planning to prepare a Morris 1000 to compete in our events.  His 4x4 mount is a Unimog powered by a 2 lite air-cooled VW motor!

The current work has been carried out at Tipley where the culvert was completely blocked, causing nearly all of Liverton Brooks water to flow aggressively over the track to gouge a two foot gully across the access to the section.

The blocked culvert :(

Phil and Chris Musselwhite (full time passenger for Phil) attempted to clear the blockage with a long pole, but it wasn’t until Dave attacked the debris with his 3 ton digger that the water level started to drop.  After some fishing by Richard (Dave’s teammate) with a hook on a long chain attached to the machine’s bucket, Dave produced the steel sluice gate complete with adjusting screw. 

Gate removed :o

Richard checking for any remaining detritus >:(

Water running where it should :)

Dave’s team has since cleaned out the section from top to bottom, concentrating on the massive pits and nasty steps in preparation for the concrete, weather permitting.

Next up, Dave hopes to move on to Simms, which presents a different set of challenges.

david@whitepost.me.uk

Re: Section Repairs – Exeter Trial 2020
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2019, 09:29:23 pm »
Excellent work.  Thank you!   :)

Offline Simon Woodall

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 06:08:55 pm »
His 4x4 mount is a Unimog powered by a 2 lite air-cooled VW motor!
I don't think so, a Unimog is a massive commercial vehicle of the sort usually powered by 8 or 10 litre diesels
The starter motor on a Unimog probably has more power than a Beetle engine!

We used to put various VW engines in the back of Steyr-Puch Haflingers, this combo made for a awesome 4x4 trialler.
Maybe it's one of those.

Offline Lee Sample

• Club Members
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 03:22:38 pm »
great work, thanks all involved!  we really do appreciate the hard work that goes into this.  if i lived a little closer id have loved to get involved :-)

Lee

Offline rick howell

• Club Members
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2019, 10:32:52 pm »
His 4x4 mount is a Unimog powered by a 2 lite air-cooled VW motor!
I don't think so, a Unimog is a massive commercial vehicle of the sort usually powered by 8 or 10 litre diesels
The starter motor on a Unimog probably has more power than a Beetle engine!

We used to put various VW engines in the back of Steyr-Puch Haflingers, this combo made for a awesome 4x4 trialler.
Maybe it's one of those.
Correct. Dave Geach campaigned a VW engined Haflinger for many years and won all the prizes. And he has the market in Haflingers cornered. He also builds a mean stock car....

david@whitepost.me.uk

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 06:12:27 pm »
A source close to me says, "Repairs to Tillerton, Simms, Tipley and Slippery Sam will have been fully completed by the time the trial runs."

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
  • AKA: Ratty.
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2019, 08:08:13 pm »
A source close to me says, "Repairs to Tillerton, Simms, Tipley and Slippery Sam will have been fully completed by the time the trial runs."

Excellent..... :)
Posts by myself are personal posts and in no way are an official expression of the MCC. or the MCC Committee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_3KP7X8RQ4

Offline rick howell

• Club Members
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2020, 01:03:20 pm »
Just an update; the repairs seem to have been successful though since the 2020 Exeter I expect less traffic has been up or down these hills than normal. However after some heavy downpours in early summer Lenda Lane has suffered much washout damage and is nearly impassable and not evident unless travelling up rather than down - the usual trial direction.

Offline Keith Johnston

• Club Members
  • Keith Johnston
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2020, 06:03:17 pm »
Just an update; the repairs seem to have been successful though since the 2020 Exeter I expect less traffic has been up or down these hills than normal. However after some heavy downpours in early summer Lenda Lane has suffered much washout damage and is nearly impassable and not evident unless travelling up rather than down - the usual trial direction.

Thanks Rick. Yes, we were made aware of the condition of Lenda Lane earlier this summer. Representations have been made to Devon CC's ROW department so I guess its in their back log of work programmes. It needs to be repaired in time for Exeter 2022.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
  • AKA: Ratty.
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2020, 02:36:02 pm »
All good. Lets hope normality returns very soon.
Posts by myself are personal posts and in no way are an official expression of the MCC. or the MCC Committee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_3KP7X8RQ4