Author Topic: Class F  (Read 245 times)

Offline Tony Ferrari (Nomad)

• Club Members
Class F
« on: October 16, 2019, 03:35:28 pm »
Can't decide whether to enter Class C on my 525EXC or the new Class F on my 1090 Adventure R.

The attraction being the 1090 has heated grips and enough power for a heated jacket, not to mention superior, range, comfort and lighting!

However I can't find any information on tyres?

Is it the same as Class C? i.e. only TKC80 or Michelin T63 are allowed

Although I do find it strange the T63 is still included as it was deleted from the Michelin range in 2016!

I think it's time for an update as there are other similar tyres available that are no more aggressive (or indeed less) e.g. Mitas E10, Michelin Annakee Wild, Bridgestone Adventurecross AX41

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
  • AKA: Ratty.
Re: Class F
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 06:54:47 pm »
Can't decide whether to enter Class C on my 525EXC or the new Class F on my 1090 Adventure R.

The attraction being the 1090 has heated grips and enough power for a heated jacket, not to mention superior, range, comfort and lighting!

Although I do find it strange the T63 is still included as it was deleted from the Michelin range in 2016!

I think it's time for an update as there are other similar tyres available that are no more aggressive (or indeed less) e.g. Mitas E10, Michelin Annakee Wild, Bridgestone Adventurecross AX41

You can always use Road Tyres...….

T63 Is included as some are still using them....  :)

• Club Members
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 07:16:06 pm »
Stephen

I've no doubt there are still a lot out there but no use to someone like me who needs to buy new. So i'm stuck with the TKC80 which is not my favourite tyre. As far as i'm aware the Kenda 270 and Bridgestone Trailwing 302 don't come in the right size for the 1090 R

Or I could use the Mitas E07 that's on the back at the moment as it complies with the SSRs and accept it will be deficient in grip, especially in the mud as will many other similar tyres.

I do think it's only fair that if the club want's to move with the times and encourage the Adventure Bike crowd, then the tyres regs need to do so too  ;D

• Club Members
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 07:31:50 pm »
After a bit of google fu, I have confirmed that neither the Bridgestone or the Kenda is available in the right size for the 1090 R and 150/70x18 is a pretty common size for adventure bikes.

And the Dunlop T603 was discontinued in 2015

I rest my case m'lud  ;)

Offline David (tufty) White

• Administrator
  • getting away with it so far
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 07:32:45 pm »
I agree.

However, I think the purists would say it would make it too easy.

After seeing videos of the cars spinning up trying to get up sections, I can hardly go along with the argument that the motorcycle tyres like the Pirelli MT21 etc. are 'too agressive'.

It's rare the bike will spin up that much as that won't help you up a section.

I too believe a re-think is overdue.

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 08:29:45 am »

All bike classes, A to E, are allowed to use any of the tyres mentioned in the SSR 2020.  The permitted tyres is always a work in progress and the rules are updated as practicality allows.  On occasions, a tyre has been submitted and approved just before an event and before there’s been a chance to update the SSR.

As the SSR state ‘The MCC wish the competitor to join in the spirit of the event by choosing tyres that are nonaggressive in appearance or destructive in use’.  Therefore, a competitor can submit any other tyre they feel meets the spirit of the SSR to the Motor Cycle Tyre Officer motorcycletyres@themotorcyclingclub.org.uk for that tyre to be assessed and possibly become an approved tyre.  The difficulty for the Club arises when determining dimensions of the tread spacing because they don’t always have access to the submitted tyre.  So if you’re going to submit a tyre that looks as if it might be on the cusp of acceptable, it’s worth getting hold of a manufacturer’s data sheet, or submitting a photograph with a ruler alongside the tread blocks.

The T63 tyre is still in the SSR because there is always the possibility that there is still some stock with dealers, or competitors have some stored in their garage for future use.  I believe tyres can be stored in a good environment for 5 years.  These discontinued tyres will eventually reach their best-by-date, whereupon they will disappear from the scene.

The position of Motor Cycle Tyre Officer is a volunteer position and the task of assessing tyres takes time.  There just may not be the time to devote to keeping up to speed with what tyres are currently available. So if anyone fancies taking on the position when the current officer moves on, please put your name forward.

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2019, 07:06:54 pm »
Just looking at the pictures you posted of your GS project Paul. What tyre is that you got on there?

http://www.themotorcyclingclub.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=71.45

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2019, 07:12:02 am »
The tyres on the project are Continental TKC80.  I found them good on wet and dry tarmac on a GS500 twin and a W650 twin.  On the 500 cc, I got about 6,000 miles out of the rear tyre and about 9,000 miles out of the front.  On the 650 cc, I got about 2,500 miles out of the rear and about 4,500 miles out of the front.  That's with progressive riding.  I like them, but like other similar tread pattern tyres, the tread develops 'cupping' so I tend to replace them when others might get a few more miles out of them.

I can't give an opinion on their off road capability, but they did get my W650 out of a glutinous muddy field on the Somerset Scatter  :D.

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2019, 07:05:09 pm »
Are they MCC compliant because they look quite aggressive?

• Club Members
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2019, 10:45:06 pm »
Are they MCC compliant because they look quite aggressive?

Yes they are, permitted tyres are:

Continental TKC80
Michelin T63 (Discontinued 2016)
Dunlop T603 (Discontinued 2015)
Kenda 270
Bridgestone Trailwing TW302

Offline Keith Johnston

• Club Members
  • Keith Johnston
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2019, 10:49:31 pm »
Tony, am sure you have picked up be now that Ian Thompson and I have widened the list of permitted tyres on a pilot basis specifically for the wider rims of class F Adventure Bikes. The new SR on tyres is elsewhere on this website.