Author Topic: Class O, squaring the circle  (Read 375 times)

Offline Mark Gregg

• Club Members
Class O, squaring the circle
« on: October 14, 2019, 01:46:14 pm »
Many folk will have received their provisional results for last weekends Edinburgh trial. Without discussing individual performances I d like to hear class O competitors views on how we can level the playing field in a class that is the broadest possible of churches catering for everything from nissan micra to trolls and liege.

As a class O competitor myself I m desperate to keep the engravers busy but the ability of one car to climb a hill that no others do means that Tins are becoming the rarest of commodities especially at the Edinburgh. I want more awards but they must be earn't how do we square that circle?

this years provisional awards see only one copper and no tin medals awarded, eliminating the three hardest hills ( most fails) would see 8 more medals awarded making 9 in total over 45 entrants which feels right yet omits three hills, do i find three less challenging hills? or find a way to get more to the top of existing hills?

Offline Jonathan Laver

• Club Members
Re: Class O, squaring the circle
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2019, 07:28:32 pm »
Originally Class 0 was to offer easier, less damaging and climbable sections. The Class was designed for the beginner, the more delicate and less competitive machinery, dare I say the more mature competitors. The goal post have been moved !  Anyone who has competed in Class 0 will be aware that some of the sections have now become very challenging. Some Class 0 sections were proved such effective stoppers that they were included within the main event and then stopped them also. The original formula of having a Class open to all and bound by “the one up rule” was a little biased against the less competitive.  Stiffen up the challenge and allow very competitive vehicles to compete upon the same terms, will turn the tap off the awards for the majority in Class 0. Those that compete within this Class need to speak up if they believe this to be true.  I for one would be really upset if I lost my Trio because a vehicle which could be a Class 7 or 8 was the only one to clear a section, that subsequently counted for the rest of the Class. This being a hypothetical view since I was not on for a Trio and currently Class 0 is only split into 2 or 4 wheel vehicles.
The last two years has seen more Triples won than Trio awards.
Jonathan L.

Offline Paul Wheatley

• Club Members
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2019, 08:06:28 pm »
Selecting the sections used for Class O carefully and restricting them to a reasonable level of difficulty is probably the best way.

The first year that I helped marshal/observe on Hackmarsh I was amazed that it was "only" for Class O. The first car competitor to arrive was in an MX-5. Not surprisingly, he took one look at the start and said "I'm not even going to try going up that!"

He had to go up because there was no way to reverse out of the single track approach road; it was completely blocked by other waiting cars.
PW.

Offline Alastair Queen

• Club Members
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2019, 11:13:13 am »
Rather than the 'one-up' rule for class O, why not have  a percentage? Or an 'average?'

Banning a particular type of vehicle just because, [if in the main trail] it would belong in more 'capable' classes...is the thin end of the wedge.

For in doing so, then old [less capable?] or rarely used vehicles that  would normally qualify for class 8, would be effectively, unusable in our trials....not because of the vehicle, but because of the needs of the entrant.

In regards to the 'one-up' rule?

Surely this is not just down to the type of vehicle...but the skill of the driver, and the conditions of the day?

How would complainants feel if the only vehicle up a section [in class O] was an Austin Seven? Or a Skoda Estelle?

Should they be limited to main trial classes only?   

I have always competed with the view, if I cannot get up, that's tough [on me].....After all...a nice easy section with a bit of wet clay might well stop most X90s....but few others?

The competition element is against the organiser...not the  rest of the class. We forget that too easily.   

Class O I believe was instigated to allow for a bit of fun trialling......Does it really matter if someone turns up in a Troll?

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
  • AKA: Ratty.
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2019, 04:46:23 pm »

The competition element is against the organiser...not the  rest of the class. We forget that too easily.   

Class O I believe was instigated to allow for a bit of fun trialling......Does it really matter if someone turns up in a Troll?

The Competition is against the rest of the Class Since the "One up Rule" was introduced in the 1980's.

And no it does not matter as Class Zero was invented to give the New competitors an introduction and Older machinery & Possibly Competitors (Or those unable to compete in a regular trial). A way in.

Possibly it went wrong when Class Zero awards started to be given out.

Are we spreading the classes to thinly?

Well if you include: Classes Zero, X, 90, Half way starts, etc. we now have in effect 10 Motorcycle Classes and 12 Car Classes.

Strewth……..

Offline Anthony Costigan

• Club Members
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 02:11:22 pm »
To my mind one of the most important aspects of the original concept of class 0 was that sections should be relatively non-damaging ,thus encouraging more fragile/ less heavily trials prepared vehicles ; ease or difficulty of sections is less important. Some sections on the Edinburgh have long seemed to me too rough for class 0 ; eg Excelsior has become much rougher in the re-start area in recent years ; Dudwood2 I always thought too rough for Class).

Regarding awards , giving 1st 10% a tin , next 10% a copper would seem a fair distribution.

Offline Tim Kingham

• Club Members
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2019, 04:23:23 pm »
Two classes of people not always mentioned in class O discussions
Precious vehicles eg:I have a 1952 Triumph TR5 (No not the car!) a bike of a type that competed in the  ISDT I would hate to dent that tank
and older riders/drivers My first ride was an Exeter in the sixties from Heston Services so I wont be able to do the main trial in a few more years (Heck I may even have to use my car FWD and all! :-)