Author Topic: Honda SL230 and CRF230 Mods  (Read 80 times)

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
Honda SL230 and CRF230 Mods
« on: October 07, 2019, 02:41:27 pm »
After chatting with a few people at the breakfast stop on Saturday morning regards the short cummings of my Honda SL230, I did find this website on how to get a bit more from the engine etc.

https://crf230fmods.wordpress.com/

Still head scratching regards getting a 4.00 x 18 trials tyre to fit. i'll post something here when I figure something out.

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
Re: Honda SL230 and CRF230 Mods
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 04:59:34 pm »
Looking at parts fiche for the XR400 (https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-xr400r-2001-1-european-direct-sales_model6826/partslist/F__2100.html#.XaSaZJIm7cs ) and the SL230 (https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-sl230-2004-4-japan-md33-150_model49462/partslist/0095.html#.XaSap5Im7cs), the swinging arms are similar in design, though, there are differences.

It could be an expensive conversion once you include the cost of the wheel and brake caliper.

Offline David (tufty) White

• Administrator
  • getting away with it so far
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 07:42:31 pm »
Can't you just get a wheel built with the right rim on it?

Offline Ian T

• Club Members
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 08:45:49 pm »
Can't you just get a wheel built with the right rim on it?
It already has an 18 inch rim. Problem is that there isn't enough space in the swinging arm to fit a 4.00-18 trials tyre.

Offline David (tufty) White

• Administrator
  • getting away with it so far
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 12:41:56 pm »
Is that space between the u shaped swinging arm?

Would it foul both sides?  If not, the wheel could be built with some offset?

Difficult to understand without knowledge of the bike or pictures.

Offline Ian T

• Club Members
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 01:38:25 pm »
I believe it's the height of the tyre that's the problem but I'm asking another owner what their solution is.

Incidentally I met the owner of a Kawasaki Super Sherpa and he had to extend the swinging arm slightly to accommodate a 4.00-18 trials tyre.

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 07:01:37 pm »
Yep that's one solution, cut and shut the swinging arm. It doesn't look that easy though and as it's aluminium it would have to be done by a professional. Nothing hurts like a collapsed swinging arm.

I was thinking about fitting the tyre (the wheel has to be right at the back of the slot to do this) and taking up the chain slack with a custom made chain tensioner.

Can't wait to hear your friends solution Ian.

Offline Ian T

• Club Members
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 08:11:09 pm »
I talked to my friend - in effect it was a swinging arm extension. The slot for the spindle was made longer (towards the rear) to the extent it was open ended then a steel strap screwed on the end of each fork to close each slot.

Apparently another option used on another SL was to lengthen the spindle slot then weld on an extension, made of the same material.

FYI The swinging arm on my Greeves is open ended as standard - only things stopping the wheel coming out are the spindle nut, chain, brake cable and torque arm. Of course the wheel shouldn't move if the spindle is correctly tightened.

From what I hear the SL230 is an excellent LDT bike so it's maybe worth trying to get to a solution as in my experience a trials tyre makes all the difference.

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2019, 07:28:28 pm »
Is there any chance you could get a picture of this fix Ian?

You would definitely have to close the slot on the SL. All the rear end weight would be on the root of the top of the slot. Bouncing up and down would splay the slot apart and ultimately break the top half of the lug off.

The steel swinging arm on your greeves was designed to have open slots so its much stronger at the root of the slot. My enfield is the same. It consists of a deep profiled plate.

Hope this makes sense.

Offline Ian T

• Club Members
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2019, 08:41:11 pm »
I will see what I can do. I may not see the SL in question for some time but can ask for a photo.

If it was my bike I'd have the swinging arm professionally extended, or sell the SL and buy a Serow  :).

Thinking about it I can see why an open slot might be less desirable on a mono shock - presumably more leverage.

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2019, 06:47:40 pm »
. If it was my bike I'd have the swinging arm professionally extended, or sell the SL and buy a Serow  :).

Yeh I'm going to look out for some 15mm aluminium block this weekend at the Stafford show. I'll do a post on here when I get round to doing the job.

I've tried a serow and I like the SL better. Just fits me better and the engine has more grunt. The SL is a long stroke engine having the same stroke as the XL250. Might even be the same crank?

There is a list of mods I'd like to do to make the bike feel better but that's just because I'm fussy.