Author Topic: Competition number attachment to a 'bike.  (Read 834 times)

Offline Paul Wheatley

• Club Members
Competition number attachment to a 'bike.
« on: September 15, 2019, 07:05:49 pm »
Getting my bike ready for the Edinburgh.

Am I correct in thinking that competition numbers for Derbyshire starters like myself will not be sent in the post but will be issued on the day?

I'm considering how best to attach them to the bike and the size of the attachment/support "plate" needed.

We've discussed if numbers should be illuminated or not but I can't find anything else on the subject.
PW.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
  • AKA: Ratty.
Re: Competition number attachment to a 'bike.
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 12:57:39 pm »
Should be sent to you with the other info a week before the start????

You need an "upright" Plate. About 4X6 inches. Tape on (not selotape as this looses adhesion when wet.).

Some laminate their numbers.

I use a Ziplock Bag front and back. Placing the number in the bag. The front one Zip tied to the Headlamp Screen. The back one with a polythene insert zip tied to the rear of the mudguard. So if I dismount there is no piece of metal to get me.  :)
Easy to put the numbers in, Waterproof and easily cleaned. The bags stay on the bike when not in competition.

They must be fixed on top of or to the side of the lights. Not under.

Illumination is a good idea tho not compulsory.

Hope this helps.

Posts by myself are personal posts and in no way are an official expression of the MCC. or the MCC Committee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_3KP7X8RQ4

Offline Paul Wheatley

• Club Members
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 02:46:22 pm »
Stephen, Thanks, some good ideas there.  8)

I do hope the numbers are sent in advance but I'm sure I've read that they won't be - I would normally have laminated them as I previously have done on my car.

I'm hoping to get a reasonably exact measurement for the card so I can make up a suitably sized rear plate which will have to go onto the rear of the luggage rack - there's no room anywhere else for a vertical number due to the design of the back end.
PW.

Offline Mark Gregg

• Club Members
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 03:19:30 pm »
Glad your looking forward to the Derbyshire class. Derbyshire class competitors receive NOTHING in the post.. ( other than medals ;))
Your competition winners are standard size trials numbers. Motorcycle trials number boards are ideal for front or rear display.
Derbyshire class entrants get a fantastic deal of a trial for just 50 quid and a closing date almost on the day of the event. To facilitate all that ,ALL Derbyshire class communication, routes etc will be sent to your email address at least 14 days before the event.

Offline Paul Wheatley

• Club Members
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 08:17:09 pm »
Mark, I am very much looking forward to the trial.

However, your term "standard trials number boards" means absolutely nothing to me, I'm afraid. Although I've competed in my car in the past (albeit about 15 years ago), this is my first trial on a bike. I was hoping to get the actual measurements in advance (in imperial or metric) so I can better comply with the regs and not be embarrassed on the day when given the number.

Btw, according to the latest info from the club, there's no medals to be had for us D of Y post breakfast starters.
PW.

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 10:57:45 pm »
The overall dimensions of the paper competition numbers are 110 mm high x 150 mm wide. 

Offline Tony Bishop

• Club Members
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 07:19:52 pm »
If your mounting plate is a trifle small then there there is a generous amount of blank paper all around the actual number which can either be trimmed or folded under.
As long as the marshals can read the number you will be OK and an added advantage is that the Derbyshire is in daylight.

Offline Paul Wheatley

• Club Members
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2019, 08:14:18 pm »
The overall dimensions of the paper competition numbers are 110 mm high x 150 mm wide.

Paul - that's exactly the information I was looking for. Many thanks!  8)
PW.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
  • AKA: Ratty.
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2019, 06:55:13 pm »
If your mounting plate is a trifle small then there there is a generous amount of blank paper all around the actual number which can either be trimmed or folded under.
As long as the marshals can read the number you will be OK and an added advantage is that the Derbyshire is in daylight.

Yep....  :)
Posts by myself are personal posts and in no way are an official expression of the MCC. or the MCC Committee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_3KP7X8RQ4