Author Topic: Edinburgh 2019 updates... unofficial  (Read 1139 times)

Offline Mark Gregg

• Club Members
Edinburgh 2019 updates... unofficial
« on: September 26, 2019, 06:58:28 pm »
a week to go so i ll add updates when i have them re ammendents/ hints and tips etc. they arent strictly official but if its in my name...

to make class  R doable even if you get lost we have included map references for the time controls/test/ hill starts etc on the route card map 119. the route card is pretty good though my 14 yr old daughter found her way round with no mistakes.

Offline Mark Gregg

• Club Members
Re: Edinburgh 2019 updates... unofficial
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 01:00:48 am »
main trial competitors .. road book clarity.. immediately before and soon after corkscrew/brand top the route divides and rejoins twice on page 9 ... check your understanding of where you should be going pre trial... dont leave it until 8am on a Saturday morning in October at the roadside on an open moor

Offline John Guy

• Club Members
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 04:34:20 pm »
Mark - two queries on the Class O Route details.
Page 10 - Although not described as an observed section, I'm guessing that The Rake Hill Start is treated as an OS, with start and finish boards, and is the tarmac restart used by Class O. A fail here, as defined in App 1, is presumably a fail for Class O competitors.
Page 11 - I assume the time and mileage figures (14.13, 11.3 and 172.8) are typos which should be ignored.

Offline Mark Gregg

• Club Members
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2019, 09:14:45 pm »
Mark, when will Duke of York starters get any info? All I've found out so far is my competition number. (which I won't get in my hand until a few minutes before scrutineering).
The whole idea of introducing this entry is to encourage beginners...who might need more time and guidance than experienced competitors in the first place.

This isn't meant to be a complaint but it's becoming a real concern with only a week to go.  ;-)

thanks for your comments Paul, i hope that the detailed private reply I sent you has answered your questions and that you ll contact me personally if you have any more concerns,  Best wishes Mark

Offline Mark Gregg

• Club Members
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2019, 09:37:46 pm »
Mark - two queries on the Class O Route details.
Page 10 - Although not described as an observed section, I'm guessing that The Rake Hill Start is treated as an OS, with start and finish boards, and is the tarmac restart used by Class O. A fail here, as defined in App 1, is presumably a fail for Class O competitors.
Page 11 - I assume the time and mileage figures (14.13, 11.3 and 172.8) are typos which should be ignored.

Thanks for the above John.  good solid challenges..   
the hill start is a part of the class R route that we ve added to class O to clearly demonstrate the conscious move toward a less potentially damaging route/challenge for class O. The single hill start line is meant to provide an opportunity to provide a challenge where space and man power are limited although i ve been told that a single line was once de riguer for restarts.
the appendix is accurate and mentions section begins and section ends boards and other than the single line the hill start is a simple section with a simple restart but we have used the description hill start to emphasize the differences. Your assumptions re fails for class O are entirely accurate and there are in fact 6 ways to fail on the hill start !!!
congratulations on the typos :)  proves you can check something too many times, i never saw them till you pointed them out and they leap off the page. please accept our apologies.

Offline Mark Gregg

• Club Members
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2019, 09:55:37 pm »
Class R competitors
 your stuff is in the post, some have received it some have not they were all posted at the same time. One thing was omitted from your package. Although you were not expecting the route card  and control cards until 60 minutes before your start time you should have had the route card cover, final instructions and appendices in your package. This was my fault and they will be posted Monday. if you wont be at home send me an email totalshell@aol.com and i ll email you a copy. apologies.

Class R observers/ officials/ official cars you should have had an email detailling your roles. And a package containing rally plates and the route card cover, final instructions and appendices , the rallly plate was posted with the competitors the route card cover will be posted monday

the route card that competitors receive 60 minutes before the off will also include the route card cover, final instructions and appendices some of which have seen detail amendments please read carefully.

Offline Paul Wheatley

• Club Members
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2019, 09:58:53 am »
thanks for your comments Paul, i hope that the detailed private reply I sent you has answered your questions and that you ll contact me personally if you have any more concerns,  Best wishes Mark

Thanks, I've deleted my original post. Abridged route directions for the Duke of York starter now received via email but please see my reply re the timings thereupon. I think that all D of Y starters will need to add 3 hours 34 mins to each of the standard timings (plus the last two digits of their entry number in minutes) for it to make sense.
PW.

Offline Mark Gregg

• Club Members
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 06:33:10 pm »
Tuesday teatime..

All the above still applies rain was heavy overnight and continued into early afternoon. plenty of dsatnding water and windblown twigs/small branches ( moved a bigger branch from the road on a remote class r lane)

the sections are in tip top condition corkscrew and clough mine look fabulous clough wood is a gooey clay morass but more than achievable on a bike and a worthy challenge to our heroes in the higher classes

brand top is clean apart from deep ruts at the top but there is non of the mud of previous years

we ve hired an extra blow heater for the marquee

we have a couple of possible amendments other than the one re the petrol stop above, one is a flooded ford and the other is a section that is simply too wet at the moment but we ll leave it till thurs pm to make a final decision

other than that everything is as per your route cards.

weather is set fair for weds with light rain and sun forecast thurs fri sat.

Offline Mark Gregg

• Club Members
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2019, 09:34:51 pm »
thursday 9.30 and just in the from the dales, lots of updates tonight but the main consideration is..

EVERY section will run to the route card

we have one ammendment re the petrol station please see posts above

we may have one regarding the ford just before hollinsclough tea room if we do have to detour its very minor

we will be emailling class r observers tonight to add clarity to their instructions and the derbyshire class entrants to confirm start times etc.

one query i can answer is that class r control cards will be at the start .. they are here on my desk

DONT FORGET TO GET YOUR CONTROL CARD STAMPED AT THE PETROL STATION.. NO STAMP = 1 FAIL

Offline Paul Wheatley

• Club Members
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2019, 10:07:16 am »
"DON'T FORGET TO GET YOUR CONTROL CARD STAMPED AT THE PETROL STATION.. NO STAMP = 1 FAIL"

But Which petrol station? I can only assume this doesn't apply to all categories. Thanks!
PW.

Offline Mark Gregg

• Club Members
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2019, 11:50:41 am »
the petrol station in the route card where it says you have to and yes it applies to all classes.. please read the route card and all ammendments

this one published two weeks ago in news of the week

EDINBURGH ROUTE:   Full details of the Petrol Station change noted above will be published at the Tamworth start and are reproduced below for those producing their own route cards.
In Route details for classes A- E and 1- 8 and route details for class O.
page 7, DELETE 03.28  Petrol, Torne Valley Farm Store, 5.5mile  63.6miles  '' just before the Town centre, on LH side of road, petrol will be available not before 3.30am at filling station attached to Torne Valley Farm Store please refuel they are opening early for you''

page 7 at >> continue on B6001 for 2.2 miles to X, where L onto A623<<   CHANGE to  >>>continue on B6001 for 2.2 miles to X where R .50 yards to Petrol on LHS QQ open from 3.30am   Adjacent to front door to shop will be a control desk with a hole punch your control card must be punched once on the bottom edge, no punch mark and a penalty will be applied,   Leave petrol station by turning R continue 50 yards to X and follow A623 <<<  continue to follow route card.
The route card for class R is correct and the route card for Derbyshire class is correct.

Offline Mark Gregg

• Club Members
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2019, 12:17:17 pm »
in reply to a number of social media posts etc. yes you can ride without showing your mcc and acu card but we must see them within 7 days or else the axe will fall from a height.

Offline Paul Wheatley

• Club Members
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2019, 03:14:35 pm »
Thanks, question answered. As you posted at the top of this thread, I would rather not be trying to work it out on an open moor on Saturday morning.

We Duke of York starters only got our route instructions (correct version) last night. Obviously that fuel stop / control isn't applicable for Duke of York starters (at least I hope not, I think it's near Bakewell). Our route previously included references to two petrol stops, at Buxton and at Newhaven. I probably won't need to refuel at either and certainly don't want to miss a control, hence my reason for requesting clarification.

PW.