Author Topic: Weather  (Read 658 times)

Offline Tony Ferrari (Nomad)

• Club Members
Weather
« on: September 29, 2019, 12:25:30 pm »
As the date draws closer, i've been looking at the weather.

Not good for the start of the week with yellow weather warnings for rain over the Peaks until Tuesday.

Wednesday looks to be sunny, then dry but cloudy on Thursday.

But just as it looks like drying out a bit underfoot (under wheel?) we have rain again early Friday morning!

But crucially the forecast for Friday into Saturday is dry but overcast but only with a 20% chance of rain until Saturday evening, so looking good.

But of course this in England so anything can happen in the next five days  ;D

I'm still packing the waterproofs!

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
Re: Weather
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 03:04:57 pm »
I'm still packing the waterproofs!
Very wise; me too :)

Offline Tony Bishop

• Club Members
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2019, 04:14:25 pm »
I live in East Anglia and when I checked Metcheck this morning the forecast was for very heavy rain all day.
In actual fact it has been sunny and windy with only a smattering of mizzle and I had a lovely walk along the promenade here in Felixstowe.
Consequently if the forecast is not accurate over a six hour period I certainly wouldn't trust it to be correct 5 day ahead.
The waterproofs will definitely be to hand, I have been soaked once too often in Derbyshire.

Offline Mark Gregg

• Club Members
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2019, 07:35:48 pm »
we have ordered sun and blue skies...   lots of stuff we ve oredered hasnt turned up :0

Offline Paul Wheatley

• Club Members
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2019, 08:32:56 pm »
Tony,

I think we had all your East Anglian rain in addition to our own here on the Notts/S.Yorks/Derbys border.

Our cul-de-sac road flooded (water flowed into my neighbour's garage opposite) and filled his inspection pit. My garden pond overflowed; I can only remember it doing that once before in sixteen years. Only a couple of days ago I was going to top it up with a hose - definitely no need now.

I needed to get some work done on my bike - there was no chance of that today!
PW.

• Club Members
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2019, 09:24:26 pm »
As an Emergency Planner by profession we have a saying.....

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best!

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2019, 03:55:58 pm »
I live in the staffs moorlands near leek and work in Derby. It's been very wet here for a few weeks now. Today has been sunny and dry up until around 2.00pm and now it's chucking it down again. Some of the lanes here have standing water and have been like that all week.

The weather forecast is never right here as it's always changing. It will rain and it will be muddy this weekend so prepare for that and you'll be fine. Currently it's not cold at night, in fact its quite warm so no frost unlike previous years. The trick on Friday will be to stay dry. And in my case, upright.  ::)

Offline Paul Wheatley

• Club Members
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2019, 09:51:43 pm »
I live in the staffs moorlands near leek and work in Derby. It's been very wet here for a few weeks now. Today has been sunny and dry up until around 2.00pm and now it's chucking it down again. Some of the lanes here have standing water and have been like that all week.

The weather forecast is never right here as it's always changing. It will rain and it will be muddy this weekend so prepare for that and you'll be fine. Currently it's not cold at night, in fact its quite warm so no frost unlike previous years. The trick on Friday will be to stay dry. And in my case, upright.  ::)

It got rather worse later this evening - we were on our way back to East Midlands Airport just before a quarter to eight. We couldn't see it until very late on the approach - I thought they had forgotten to put the lights on.

This morning the river Derwent east of Derby was well over its banks and into the fields.

In view of how wet & muddy it's going to be this coming weekend, I'm considering fitting a set of stabilisers on my Royal Enfield (and wearing a snorkel)!
PW.

Offline Mark Gregg

• Club Members
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2019, 09:57:01 pm »
PMA Jason.. thats the spirit.. it is very mild at night , there is next to no wind.

As an update out on the trial route today 8am to 4pm its wet. its muddy . there is a lot f standing water,  there is a lot of moving water. some sections calton, excelsior in absolutely prime condition. e ve mad the decision not to amend restarts, we ll just move the positions to make them an appropriate challenge this will reduce any amendments on the evening. We will be having a meeting on Thursday lunch to finalize the viability of each section and its access. information will be posted on this forum on the clubs Facebook page and on classic trials Facebook page as soon as possible ( remember that we are two hours from reliable wifi in the peak district so it could be 18.00 Thursday before you have a list of amendments if any.

one commandment that is confirmed is the one regarding petrol that was published above.. sort your route card now :)

• Club Members
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2019, 12:43:30 pm »
All sounds like good clean fun  ;D

The first time I rode Excelsior (aka Mill Lane as I knew it then) was in the aftermath of Storm Brian two years ago. The first section from the road to the left hand bend was under 18Ē of water!

It was still easily rideable and the the part that forms excelsior itself was dry(ish). I still managed to fail it in spectacular fashion as I took it too slow and hadnít  realised a bit of momentum helps  ::)

Offline Mark Gregg

• Club Members
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2019, 03:06:21 pm »
my dog swam that lower part of excelsior yesterday :)

Offline Tony Bishop

• Club Members
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2019, 03:37:46 pm »
Did you know that East Anglia receives less rainfall per year than Jordan ?
The heavy rain we have been threatened with all week still hasn't materialised.
The comments about the access lane to Excelsior have just reminded me to put an extra layer of wax on my boots.
Haven't cleaned Excelsior for many years now and that's on trials tyres. I think my best climb was on my MZ on road tyres. Oh well, the older I get the better I was.  ;D  ;D

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2019, 03:44:56 pm »
Unfortunately my enfield won't be ready for this weekend so I'll have to use my little honda backup bike instead.

Means I'll be switching from class C to class B too. Even more restarts for me to try. Yay.

Mark, do I just let them know on the desk on Friday or can we make the change now?

Offline Mark Gregg

• Club Members
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2019, 05:24:57 pm »
friday nights good its all there on your control card..   top tip from those in the know.. faced with inside outside or up the middle ive always been a fan of taking the shortest route ;)

• Club Members
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2019, 09:52:07 pm »
friday nights good its all there on your control card..   top tip from those in the know.. faced with inside outside or up the middle ive always been a fan of taking the shortest route ;)

I couldn't agree more, i've cleaned it many times since that first trip but it has always been on Maxxis enduro tyres!

I've been looking at other sections that are on public routes, Hay Dale has been conquered in the wet both on my 525 EXC (that i'm riding in class C this weekend) and on my 1090 Adventure R on TKC80s so i'm happy with that.

I've ridden Calton (dry) and Brand Top (wet) but only in the wrong direction i.e. downhill  :-\ But don't recall either being too tricky?