Author Topic: In the news today - Friday  (Read 491 times)

Offline Simon Woodall

• Administrator
In the news today - Friday
« on: August 02, 2019, 12:26:26 pm »
Those of you listening to the news about the dam near Whaley Bridge that is threatening to break should be aware that it is just 3km (as the crow flies) north of our "incline" section in Goyt Forest.

....and for those oldies reading this, its about 1km north of Taxal - good job we're not using that any more!

Offline Paul Wheatley

• Club Members
Re: In the news today - Friday
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 08:08:52 pm »
Hopefully the rain will keep away for long enough for them to lower the water level right down to prevent a disaster.
One of my sons lives a few miles further down the Goyt valley, just 300 metres north of the river. Between his house and the river is a very large electrical substation, on what I think is flood plain. It serves Stockport and the surrounding area. That would go with a bit of a pop.

I've not seen any information on how far downstream a dam collapse might cause to flood but I do remember the winter of 1961/62 when the water board opened the flood gates at Ladybower Reservoir to prevent it collapsing after the very deep snow suddenly thawed and sent an unprecedented amount of meltwater rushing off the hills. It flooded the Derwent valley as far downstream as Derby! A friend of mine and his family lived at Ambergate and their garden backed onto the Derwent river. They were told to expect possible minor flooding overnight so they put a couple of housebricks under the feet of some of their furniture before they went to bed. When they woke up the next day the sideboard and dining table were floating just below the level of the dining room ceiling!
PW.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
  • AKA: Ratty.
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 11:30:51 pm »
Me an Liuda will be marshalling on incline..... Must pack wellies.....  :)

Offline Mark Gregg

• Club Members
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 10:49:41 pm »
id pack wellies not for water but the morass the forestry vehicles might have made

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
  • AKA: Ratty.
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 05:26:57 pm »
 :)