Author Topic: Trials entry - Motorcycle ACU licence requirement etc.  (Read 2386 times)

Offline Paul Wheatley

• Club Members
Trials entry - Motorcycle ACU licence requirement etc.
« on: July 27, 2019, 01:05:09 pm »
Having competed in a car in the past, I'm thinking of having a go in the Edinburgh on a bike. I'm having trouble trying to sort out the required legalities and I seem to be going round in circles.

I think I need an ACU licence, which I don't yet have and have never held. I've registered on their website and have clicked on various links to apply for a trials licence but it says I'm not a member of a motorcycle club. Does the MCC not count? It doesn't appear on their list. Do I have to join another club?   :-\
PW.

david@whitepost.me.uk

Re: Trials entry - Motorcycle ACU licence requirement etc.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2019, 01:46:02 pm »
It should show up.  You only need apply for a Trials licence.

I can't remember it being hard. You need to send a photo too, if I remember correctly.

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2019, 02:15:53 pm »
To get your ACU Trials Registration card (licence), the ACU will also require a code that you can request from the MCC Membership Secretary.  This code must be entered into the ACU online application form.  I believe it confirms that you are a paid-up member of an ACU affiliated club and therefore entitled to a licence.  All bike competitors have to go through this code procedure every year when we renew our ACU licence.  The Membership Secretary's email is available on the website as a contact at https://www.themotorcyclingclub.org.uk/contact-us/ .  Any problems, contact the General Secretary.

Offline Paul Wheatley

• Club Members
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2019, 11:00:18 pm »
Thanks, I'll send an email request as directed.

I've now found a link on the ACU website which answers my question about MCC/ACU affiliation. The name of the club doesn't appear in the list on the application page as expected, but there's a second, far more comprehensive list of clubs on another page!
PW.

Offline Paul Wheatley

• Club Members
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2019, 09:12:49 pm »
I finally got through the application process.

It appeared to me that there was a problem with the MCC not appearing on the list of clubs on the relevant application page (applicants are supposed to click "Yes" against any club they are a member of).

However, that appears to be irrelevant. It's OK to completely ignore that part of the process and only necessary to enter the code given by the MCC membership secretary to be allowed onto the next stage of the application, the medical declaration.

I'll know next time and won't have to ask silly questions but hopefully posting this here this might help anyone else who is unfortunate enough to be as thick as I obviously am!
PW.

Offline Tony Bishop

• Club Members
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2019, 11:01:03 pm »
Now that you have registered with the ACU the annual renewal is easey peasey.
Just get your personal code number from the club secretary, log in to the ACU site, complete the renewal page with your credit card details and submit. A few days later your new card will drop through the letter box.
Enjoy two wheels.

Offline Paul Wheatley

• Club Members
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2019, 12:25:04 am »
Tony, thanks. I completed my application which is now logged as pending.

I've been enjoying motorcycles since learning to ride one in 1967.  :D
PW.

Offline Paul Wheatley

• Club Members
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2019, 08:14:48 pm »
Had two emails from two different people at the ACU first thing today.

The first said that I hadn't chosen a motorcycling club on their list (the MCC is NOT listed on the application page) and I therefore needed to do so and pay an additional one-off £15 fee, or give an authorisation code from a club I'd already joined.

My reply was that I had entered the authorisation code - without doing so you can't get to the next page of the application!

The second email was an answer to my request for advice about the difficulty I'd had. I was told to do exactly what I had already done, i.e. enter the authorisation code.

I asked for clarification and was told my application had actually gone through!

Perhaps I'm not as stupid as I look. ???
PW.

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2019, 09:29:10 am »
Welcome to the fold Paul.  8)

What bike are you going to use?

You'll need a road book reader too.  ;)

Offline Paul Wheatley

• Club Members
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2019, 10:01:48 am »
Hi Jason,

Thank you.

I'll be using my Royal Enfield Bullet 350.

The road book reader is already made (made 2 of them, in fact).

Edit: Just checked the ACU website tonight. My photo, uploaded this morning, has been added onto my personal details and I now have the required registration.

Thanks for the advice; I hope others new to competing on a bike with the MCC learn something from this thread.
PW.

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2019, 07:06:29 pm »
Feel free to put me down as riding companion. Thought I'd read you were doing class A as well but can't find your post now.

Be good to get a group of enfields together.

What mods are you doing to it?

Offline Paul Wheatley

• Club Members
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2019, 11:56:41 pm »
Hi Jason, I'm doing Class A but have only entered for the Derbyshire part from the Duke Of York for a number of reasons. It would be good to ride along together with another Bullet rider if possible.

I've fitted a Hitchcock's "Woodsman" high level exhaust after getting the engine strangled in a deep water filled rut on a flooded (legal) track a few weeks ago, much to a local farmer's amusement. Especially as I couldn't restart it and had to push it out whilst almost up to my knees in muddy water and slipping about in the mud.

The bike plods along fairly well on steep off road hills as it is but I just need a few more revs in 1st gear at times. I intend to lower the gearing slightly by fitting a smaller gearbox sprocket. I'm aware this will only make a relatively small difference but I don't want to lower it to a full trials spec, not my thing, so as long as it doesn't run out of ergs on this event, I'll be happy.

I opened out the inlet tract to 26mm and gas flowed it when I had the head off to have a new exhaust valve seat fitted. I've just replaced the Mikcarb VM24 with a 26mm "concentric" carb. This has given a noticeable increase in power and it idles far better (and the float chamber doesn't empty at full throttle, unlike the Mikcarb which did).

Having bought the bike a couple of years ago I quickly realised how poor the Indian OE tyres were on the road (even in the dry). As I like to ride legal green lanes I fitted "trials universal" pattern tyres front and rear. The front is a 3.00 x 19 Cheng Shin, which I'm really pleased with. It has been on the bike for about 4,000 miles now and is still good to go. I had a new 3.25 x 19 Heidenau K-67 delivered for the rear this afternoon and will use that for the trial; the one I fitted last year has seen better days.  The bike handles really well on and off-road on this combination.

I'll remove the centre stand before the day, it sits too low for off road work.

I've made an LED backlit road route holder and I just need to make a couple of brackets to hold it.

I'm looking into a sump guard and then it's about ready to roll.
PW.

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2019, 08:47:02 am »
Simon, Mark,, is it possible for me (Class A) and Rick Howell (Class C) to ride together and converge at the breakfast stop with Paul Wheatley (Derbyshire) ?

Best if Paul rides with some friendly faces on his return to two wheels

Offline Paul Wheatley

• Club Members
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2019, 05:24:59 am »
Thanks Jason, very thoughtful.

I'm not really "returning" to two wheels though, only moving from a car to a bike for this trial. I've seldom been without a road bike over the last 47 years (that makes me seem rather ancient).
PW.

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2019, 08:37:19 am »
Not sure if  it can be done until one of the organisers gets back with an answer.

I did ask for an early number and I'm riding with a few others. Don't know what the timing is like at the breakfast stop. Ie if we get there early or late for example. Are you on a rigid start time in that class ? Can't remember weather the breakfast stop has a specific departure time or if it's just an hour after you got there.