Poll

Should we continue using Crackington for Bikes?

Yes, as is.
2 (40%)
Yes, but not observed.
1 (20%)
No, stop using it.
2 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: August 22, 2019, 09:47:08 pm

Author Topic: Continue Using Crackington for Bikes?  (Read 258 times)

Offline Ian T

• Club Members
Continue Using Crackington for Bikes?
« on: July 25, 2019, 09:47:08 pm »
The continued interference with the surface of Crackington is making it extremely difficult for bikes, and maybe cars.

This interference is outside the MCC's control.

The MCC's events are meant to be challenging, but the trials are about members competing against the club, not against whoever cares to make a section more difficult.

It's sad that the MCC is spending money to repair some sections (Tillerton, Simms, and Tipley) in order to avoid damage to vehicles and help stop declining entries, yet the actions of some outside the club are having the reverse effect.

Offline Tony Bishop

• Club Members
Re: Continue Using Crackington for Bikes?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 09:57:23 pm »
Interesting observation Ian.
Is Crackington a BOAT ? If so then I suspect that any "modification" is an offence and could be duly prosecuted.
Note that I use the word "could" because I doubt the word "should" would carry much weight within the highways department of Cornwall CC !!!  ;D   ;D

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2019, 11:10:19 am »
Do we have any idea who is causing the interference?  And as Tony hints, is there anything we can do about it?

If the interference is purely for the Lands End Trial, i.e. chucking a load of mud and slurry on the surface, perhaps a word in the offenders' ears might suffice.

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2019, 09:15:17 am »
I hit the deck on this one. Never made it to the restart  box. Never done it before so started off at normal pace but it wasn't fast enough. By the time I realised that I needed to be faster it was too late. Tried to accelerate but just spun in the mud. Fell off and broke my number plate off.

Apparently the trick is to gun it and don't stop.

I wasn't expecting to have to do that as I didn't think that this club was about that . I think class C  faired well. Powerful KTM's and no restart.

Rick did tell me after that a local farmer doctors it  the day before. He may think he's doing us a favour by giving us a challenge or he might be doing it so that the locals get entertainment  watching us fall off.

Like Paul  says, have a word with him.

Offline Ian T

• Club Members
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2019, 09:26:31 am »
perhaps a word in the offenders' ears might suffice.
I understand words have been had and then ignored  >:(

Offline Ian T

• Club Members
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2019, 09:27:23 am »
I didn't think that this club was about that
It's not and this is why it's a problem  :(

We shouldn't end up with broken bikes, and a clerk of the course would not set a course with this outcome in mind. The problem is that it's not the clerk of the course and it's not the club altering the section.

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2019, 09:37:58 am »
If it's not his land then report him, otherwise stop using the hill for a few years.

Offline Paul Wheatley

• Club Members
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2019, 12:39:12 pm »
What is the status of the land? If it's a public right of way, it's surely illegal to "doctor" the surface. 
PW.