Author Topic: New entry class questions?  (Read 398 times)

Offline alexelbrow

• Club Members
New entry class questions?
« on: June 28, 2019, 09:05:10 am »
Hello every one.
My brother is keen to enter Edinburgh on my old matchless G3, however he isn't confident enough with the bikes abilities to make the hills.
Is there a class he can enter where he will be able to follow the route book with me just not enter the sections?
I know about class R and O but would he be able to ride with me in Class A on my triumph?
Thanks for your help.
Alex

Offline alexelbrow

• Club Members
Re: New entry class questions?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 09:15:50 am »
Thinking about it might be just as easy if we both enter class R.

Offline Mark Gregg

• Club Members
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 11:30:31 am »
i ve answered a number of similar questions to this on socil media this week so apologies for the long winded answer but hopefully it ll cover yours and others questions.

firtly its impractical to 'follow' some one around the Edinburgh, most of our sections are straight though so the follower would be stuck at the bottom.. for example incline is a 15 mile detour to get from the bottom to the top without going up the section.. not much fun for your brother.

personally In your circumstances i d do class O you both get to ride all the sections without any restarts and at some venues such as clough mine and dudwood you can choose not to do them and even see the whole of the sections. sections that your brother would have to do such as incline are really straightforward climbs the trickest would possibly be excelsior but if prepared to dab early and walk it up the ere is nothing dangerous or beyond the scope of a virtual motorcycling beginner.

dont fancy riding through the night? plump for the Derbyshire class 9.30am start at the Duke of York and finsih back there at 5 ish only 85 miles and the same sections as the rest of the trial but only the daylight ones

class R is the 100% tarmac option it follows a significantly different route to the rest of the trial for exAMPLe they will be first to leave Tamworth at midnight but the last competitors to arrive at Carsington only 45 miles in for the main trial but over 100 miles iin for class R. the navigation is simple traditional MCC route card average speed are 15mph but it will be a significant challenge on a bike. The night time /darkness loop is deliberately long to make the most of the light and usual weather conditions. in fact no motorcycle has ever entered class R to the best of my know ledge in the 10 or so time s the club has run it to date.

please if any one else has more questions fire away i m only to happy to answer.. i ll be at the testing trial from saturday evening onwards if you  d like a chat :)

Offline alexelbrow

• Club Members
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 09:24:49 am »
Thanks Mark,

That answers is it, I think we will do the Derbyshire class, sounds like a good one to try.

Thanks again Mark.