Author Topic: 2019 Edinburgh Entries NOW OPEN!!  (Read 991 times)

Offline Mark Gregg

• Club Members
2019 Edinburgh Entries NOW OPEN!!
« on: June 22, 2019, 11:41:18 am »
https://www.themotorcyclingclub.org.uk/events/the-edinburgh-trial/

loads of interest and entries are already well into double figures :)

main trial and class O entries are open to up to 300 HOWEVER class R and The Derbyshire daylight classes are limited in the numbers we can accept.

class R is limited to 15 starters and the daylight Derbyshire class can be no more than 40 starters

we have opened up the invited clubs especially to promote the trial to Northern trials clubs and Clubs promoting navigational rallies who class R should appeal to.

heavy promotion to these clubs will start in early July and we expect entries from them to be significant.

As a taster for the class R entrants i can confirm the 100% tarmac route and the use of tests taken straight from the route card of the 1955 MCC National Rally. See if you can find a copy so you can get some practice in!

The daylight Derbyshire class starts at the Duke of York ( at a very sociable 9.30am ) with the finish back at the Duke from about 4pm all for £50!  the reduced entry fee reflects the reduced costs for this class as ALL correspondence for the Derbyshire class is digital with no paper route cards, programmes, results, postage costs etc.

Main trial entrants can be assured that they will have the opportunity to tackle all the old favorites although the layout of some will differ to provide the challenge.

Incline after breakfast may be the last opportunity to use the section in its current format due to planned tree felling so take the chance to have a go at the lung busting woodland climb while we still have the chance. Some sections never change though and Corkscrew is one of those, work is already complete, permission in place and the old lady is ready for another year after 80 years service!   

Class O dont forget will no longer be tail end charlies getting the sections at their roughest.. this year on the Edinburgh Class O will be following the main trial motorcycles so class O cars will be the first cars up each hill.. and no restarts at all for class O on any hill!

Classes 1 and 2 also have no restarts at all, The only Gold last year by a car was in class  1.

To our many members from the South West make a weekend of it. The Duke of York has a fabulous adjacent modern caravan and camping site with more hand standing and more electrical hook ups than last year. the team at the Duke will even accommodate your van or trailer overnight Friday for a very small fee. Give Bridget a call and mention the Edinburgh.  https://www.thedukeofyorkpomeroy.co.uk/ booking is essential. Friday night pre-trial quite a few competitors gathered in the bar taking in a meal before driving down to Tamworth leaving their vans trailers at the pub.

Any questions? drop me a line at Edinburghtrial@themotorcyclingclub.org.uk or via this forum or the classic trials facebook page

Offline Lee Sample

• Club Members
Re: 2019 Edinburgh Entries NOW OPEN!!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 06:36:48 am »
Gutted that i cant make it this year :-(

i have groomsman duties to complete in Devon, so i'll have to make a return in 2020.

have fun all!

Lee

Offline Tony Ferrari (Nomad)

• Club Members
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2019, 10:42:39 pm »
i've entered for my first ever Edinburgh (in fact my first ever MCC event) and just trying to work out the logistics,

It seems to be the best option will be to drive the van up to the  Duke of York, then ride the bike down to Tamsworth. I've entered Class C on my KTM EXC525 so the ride of 52 miles shouldn't be too taxing.

Is this a common option for other competitors?

I'd be interested in opinions, tips etc

Offline David (tufty) White

• Administrator
  • getting away with it so far
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2019, 07:17:57 pm »
I think a fair few will be doing the same

It depends where you're starting from.  I live somewhere in the middle, so I'd ride my bike to Tamworth, however, if I'm doing the Lands End, I still ride from Nottingham.

Trailers are a luxury (and I don't have one)  :)

I'm sure it'll be fine.  Come down the A515 to the A50, turn left, join the A511, then the A444, then the last bit on the M42.   :D

Offline Mark Gregg

• Club Members
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 04:01:13 pm »
Great decision Tony, you ll not be alone.

if you have a trailer call the duke of york pre trial and speak to bridget or gary so that they have an ideas of how many they ll need to accommodate over night. they might ask you for a very small parking charge for the trailer ( a fiver was mentioned, cheap in the scheme of things) the a515 from buxton to the south is a flowing A road with little or no traffic lights or even villages until you get close to Tamworth. nearer the time i ll publish a preferred route that will be easier to navigate and use and avoid the busier sections of dual carraigeway.

i my self will be done the same journey, I ll be taking an evening meal at the Duke of York before driving down to Tamworth for about 9.30 pm  I see scrutineering underway and the first few folks get signed on then head back north.

anyboday has any questions or queries please fire away.. we re happy to answer any question .. but i dont know the lottery numbers :)

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
  • AKA: Ratty.
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2019, 10:48:57 pm »
I'll be on Incline marshalling....  :)

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 12:01:12 pm »
.. but i dont know the lottery numbers :)
Bugger!  That would've swollen the MCC coffers ;).

Offline Tony Ferrari (Nomad)

• Club Members
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019, 08:28:40 pm »
Thanks for the answers guys, no trailer for me as I have a van but will contact the Duke of York for parking.

I'm heading up from Milton Keynes and know the route down the A515 well, I spent two years surveying all the green roads in the Peak District National Park for the TRF so have a fairly comprehensive knowledge of the area which I hope will help on the trial.

Offline Shaun Harvey

• Club Members
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2019, 01:51:37 pm »
Hi first Edinburgh just wondering if the instructions fit in to a standard roadbook holder? On a bike

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2019, 03:15:24 pm »
Hi first Edinburgh just wondering if the instructions fit in to a standard roadbook holder? On a bike
Your competitors pack will contain the route in the form of an A4 printed document, which is hard work to use on a bike.  News of the Week (NOTW) will supply a link to a Word file of the route, which can be downloaded.  The Word file contains the route in a tabulated form, which you can modify to suit your self.  Modifications include changing the print width, font, point size, deleting columns, adding images, etc.

So the answer is yes, it will fit a standard roadbook once you've played about with it.  Examples of what you can do are in the Forum at http://www.themotorcyclingclub.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=45.msg1312#msg1312

Offline Shaun Harvey

• Club Members
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2019, 03:32:18 pm »
Cheers Paul 👍🏻

Offline Tony Bishop

• Club Members
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2019, 06:38:51 pm »
Welcome to the world of MCC trials Shaun, you will enjoy.
As a first timer you can always call on the advice and expertise of your fellow competitors. As you are solely competing against the club no one will begrudge helping you out if you need it, that is one of the plus points of the MCC.
Have a great trial.

Offline Simon Woodall

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2019, 03:03:28 pm »

Shaun
The Lands End route book is still available to download from
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KxJ1azZ9uN6r_uFr7hDmx9p-sh4OWHO9/view
Try downloading that and play with it to see how it all fits together, then you won't be under pressure to learn how to do it before the Edinburgh.