Author Topic: Anniversary Road Event ?  (Read 623 times)

Offline Tony Bishop

• Club Members
Re: Anniversary Road Event ?
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2019, 04:39:24 pm »
VMCC drop off type of riding is fine for a sunny afternoon bimble with a relatively small number of riders.
Imagine trying to do that system at night in the pouring rain on a series of strange roundabouts, one error and half the entry might "bomb burst" all over the countryside never to be seen again !!!!

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2019, 09:13:45 am »
VMCC drop off type of riding is fine for a sunny afternoon bimble with a relatively small number of riders.
Imagine trying to do that system at night in the pouring rain on a series of strange roundabouts, one error and half the entry might "bomb burst" all over the countryside never to be seen again !!!!
Entirely agree.  IAM Roadsmart (formerly called the Institute of Advanced Motorists) use the Ride Leader and Tail End Charlie (TEC) system (also called the marker system), which is ok for a social rideout.  The system is unsuited for MCC events where we are competitors, who all need to navigate and there could be 100 competitors.

Likewise, the system can go to pot when someone doesn't mark a junction.  This can easily occur when the marker is sat at a junction for 20 minutes, then decides to continue or go back because they think somethings gone wrong.  Chaos :o.

A situation occurred in my local group when a rider decided to go home.  When he got home, he had half a dozen or so riders behind him ;D.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
  • AKA: Ratty.
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2019, 07:22:10 pm »

We managed that type of ride with the Harley Group of 70 And it was OK. But not very much like an adventure and it relied on everyone going the same speed and no one stopping to take pictures or have a coffee.

The Wells Vintage club do it differently and have stewards on each junction..... Three time I have entered and three times it has ended in a complete shambles....  :)

Offline Tim Kingham

• Club Members
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2019, 06:44:51 pm »
I think my point has been missed (or I did not explain it well enough :))  I was suggesting the drop off system just  for Marshaling assistance by competitors at sections, route cards would remain for navigation
so first group would assist at section 1 and join at rear group 2 would assist at section 2 and so on untill group 1 reached the front again  and did section X etc,etc competitors would of course know the section they were needed at in advance and would accrue ' marshall' points
timing would only apply in overall times but dropping behind the tail end Charley would be loss of award but if the marshal situation prevents a trial this might be a solution