Author Topic: Anniversary Road Event ?  (Read 971 times)

Offline Jonathan Laver

• Club Members
Anniversary Road Event ?
« on: May 19, 2019, 11:56:17 pm »
Anniversary Road Event.
The starting point of planning any one off event is, where, when and who. Everyone has their own ideas of what we should do by way of an Anniversary event – all different. The answer may well come when the person who organises the event, works out the logistics and tells us – this is what we are doing.
Let’s try another unknown – when – i.e. what part of the year.  We would like to give as many members as possible the chance to take part. The Trialing season has very few if any spare weekends. The summer school holidays produce a large increase in road traffic. Attempting to run 120 vehicles to a time schedule in summer holiday traffic is not likely. Long daylight hours would be an advantage to any road event. That is not to say, night driving/ riding is likely to be omitted from any Classic MCC event.  Previous similar events have spanned a weekend. Could it be the time to offer a mid-week event i.e. Wed, Thurs & Friday ?
This conversation is being had two years prior to any event. In theory, dates could be fixed early and those who were booking Cruise holidays or getting married could have the opportunity to plan. So throwing this open for your views – If not where or who just  When ?
Jonathan L.

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
Re: Anniversary Road Event ?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 08:27:35 am »
For those that are retired, mid-week is probably the preferred time because family events usually occur at week-ends due to the work commitments of family members.  For those that are working, a mid-week event will involve taking holiday. 

As to the time of year, June to August are usually holiday time and roads can be busy.  Are May, or September suitable?  The weather is not going to be as bad as the Exeter or Lands End Trials, and the nights are not too dark.

What is the duration of the event is another factor to be considered.  If the event were to involve 3 days as suggested, that could be say Lands End to John O’Groats, that’s over 800 miles.  Add to that the time to travel to and from the start and finish, then you’re looking at say 5 to 6 days in total.  That could be a big chunk out of holiday entitlement for some.

For me, I can participate in any days of the week, but what bike to use?  Something that’ll cruise at 70 mph comfortably I think ;D.

Offline Tim Kingham

• Club Members
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 09:06:31 pm »
Lands end to JoG from east of England
on the last trial 1 day getting to Cornwall (actually I think we stayed at the Jamaica Inn)
next day  start was towards evening Cornwall to Perth so all night and next day
night in Perth next day  to JoG stay in JoG
next day ride home (at wedding next day pews were very hard)
Yes 5 days
If you were in Cornwall then miss a day getting to start but add 1 to get home
If you were in JoG then 2 days to Cornwall start and none at end
If you were other side of M25 its time to move!

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2019, 07:08:42 am »
Looks good.  It'd be nice to see the start and finish outside the south west of England.  The Club travels those roads two times a year, three times if you include the Somerset Scatter Rally.  I feel that I know every pot hole and road marking on the A303 in my journeys to and from the south west over the years :(.

I don't know the distribution of our members throughout the UK (and the continent, including Sweden :) ), but a start and finish up north or in Wales would be welcome.  A start and finish outside the south west would allow members to travel roads we don't normally use, perhaps looping into Scotland.  We might need a passport for Scotland by then  :(

Offline Tim Kingham

• Club Members
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 08:44:21 pm »
Just got back from a bike ride to Orkney to a vintage rally on my BMW R1200 I have not been on the A9 since the last end to end
My Stars! dont include that road in any future events it absolute murder with traffic even the stretch long before  Inverness is average speed camera hell and the dual carriage way is a absolute free for all with speed cameras to add spice.
B roads are fine

Offline Robert Roalfe

Re: Anniversary Road Ev
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 03:07:11 pm »
Some thoughts -
Re: timing - a weekend in early September could avoid the summer heat and traffic, and separate it from the large number of motorcycling events which take place earlier in the year?

Re: format - I know LE to JOG has been suggested but having done this a number of times (including taking a 1000 mile route, doing it without motorways, and completing it in 14 1/2 hours), I would suggest this is both uninteresting in terms of route unless taken over 3 or 4 days to take in some more challenging roads, and rather unimaginative as a challenge (a much better ride is to go from the eastern point of Britain to the most westerly point  :))

I think it should aim to either be reflective of the history of the MCC, or something new to the club altogether, with the express aim of attracting new members.
Perhaps an example of the former might be to try and replay an historic MCC ride - maybe starting from the Ace Cafe and riding to Lands End and back, via a series of locations (which might include some easier tracks and sections?). An example of the second might be something similar to the Irish Photo Rally, where competitors are sent a number of locations to be visited and photographed. This could be over a short period of time with set start and finish, or over a number of months e.g. April to September so competitors can arrange their own timetable. Locations could include some places relevant to the MCC’s history. There could then be a social event at the end of the time period when competitors could meet and share displays of their photographs and stories.

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2019, 08:40:59 am »
I think a start from the Ace Café in North London is an excellent idea.  It’s a well-known venue, has all the facilities, has plenty of room for parking, and is an easy location to get out of London to the west (via A40) or north (via A1).  Another substantial benefit is the publicity that the MCC can gain from this starting point.  London has a large concentration of bikers and, I suspect, classic car owners.  Advertising/promoting the Anniversary Event would draw many people to the start to look at our bikes and cars.  We now have an ideal opportunity to promote the Classic Road Trials and Class O, especially if we have a dedicated stand.

I’d also argue that we are more likely to get coverage on the local radio and national newspapers if we start from an iconic venue.  Such coverage would need developing by lobbying these media through some sort of targeted press releases; it doesn't just happen.

We could be missing a trick if we hold the start in some out of the way spot that is difficult for spectators (potential new entrants) to travel to, or for the media to take an interest in.

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2019, 08:55:01 am »
Don't want to sound negative but the car park is too small. It gets packed even during the week and there's no room for trailers.

If you want a London start would the ally pally be a better choice?

How big is the car park at Greenwich, that would seem a more fitting location to start. Start from the meridian, perfect. The place where time starts. 8)

Offline Tim Kingham

• Club Members
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 07:56:58 am »
All this London slant maybe forgetting the wonderful mayors stink zone and congestion charges I like to keep well away from the place

Offline Mark Gregg

• Club Members
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2019, 05:01:31 pm »
i would nt take the 7 into London.. in fact nor would i venture on motorways or dual carriageways not a fan of trunk roads either ;)

Offline Martin Bell

• Club Members
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2019, 09:25:39 pm »
Is it going to be a tarmac only event, or run on the lines of the current events with off road sections?
If it's the former, then it could start and finish anywhere, if the latter, then finding new sections en route from a London start might be too much to ask.
I'm biased as I live in the SW, but London to Land's End and back would appeal.
Brooklands might be a good start and finish point?
Finding marshals mid week sounds tricky.

Offline Tim Kingham

• Club Members
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2019, 07:47:53 am »
Those of you who do VMCC runs may be familiar with the drop off system
 the riders run in line
there is a leader and a tail end charley who stay the same
No2 in the sequence drops out at a corner and directs till he sees tail end charley then he becomes next to last and so on
could that be modified so that competitors become the marshals or marshal assistants at each section?

Offline Tony Bishop

• Club Members
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2019, 04:39:24 pm »
VMCC drop off type of riding is fine for a sunny afternoon bimble with a relatively small number of riders.
Imagine trying to do that system at night in the pouring rain on a series of strange roundabouts, one error and half the entry might "bomb burst" all over the countryside never to be seen again !!!!

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2019, 09:13:45 am »
VMCC drop off type of riding is fine for a sunny afternoon bimble with a relatively small number of riders.
Imagine trying to do that system at night in the pouring rain on a series of strange roundabouts, one error and half the entry might "bomb burst" all over the countryside never to be seen again !!!!
Entirely agree.  IAM Roadsmart (formerly called the Institute of Advanced Motorists) use the Ride Leader and Tail End Charlie (TEC) system (also called the marker system), which is ok for a social rideout.  The system is unsuited for MCC events where we are competitors, who all need to navigate and there could be 100 competitors.

Likewise, the system can go to pot when someone doesn't mark a junction.  This can easily occur when the marker is sat at a junction for 20 minutes, then decides to continue or go back because they think somethings gone wrong.  Chaos :o.

A situation occurred in my local group when a rider decided to go home.  When he got home, he had half a dozen or so riders behind him ;D.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
  • AKA: Ratty.
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2019, 07:22:10 pm »

We managed that type of ride with the Harley Group of 70 And it was OK. But not very much like an adventure and it relied on everyone going the same speed and no one stopping to take pictures or have a coffee.

The Wells Vintage club do it differently and have stewards on each junction..... Three time I have entered and three times it has ended in a complete shambles....  :)