Author Topic: MCC 2019 Rally  (Read 295 times)

Offline Jonathan Laver

• Club Members
MCC 2019 Rally
« on: May 12, 2019, 04:56:27 pm »
The MCC Rally upon June 15th 2019 is set to be as good as ever. What makes this event different to other Scatters is the siting of the Controls. Of the 80 locations chosen for competitors to visit there is a mix of fantastic views, long straight roads across Exmoor and the Somerset levels. For those that think it would be too tame for them to enter we have thrown in some challenging road conditions. We tracked down the fords, wet roads and the very twisty. Those MCC members who are familiar with poor surfaces to drive and ride upon will not be disappointed because Somerset offers some broken surface metalled roads, the worst of which we found. To be fair to everyone the Final Instructions provides a guide as to what types of roads are in every Control area. All locations have been driven to in a standard saloon car on low profile tyres.  Rarely is there a competitive event which runs at the pace you do. In the past ultra-competitive individuals have gone out for maximum points. To the contrary people have found places to spend most of their time and enjoyed the experience. Lastly it is the only MCC event which combines bottles of champagne, Crystal Apple Awards, all you can eat breakfasts and a post event meal.  Entries are still open for a few more days via this Website.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 10:06:31 pm by Jonathan Laver »
Jonathan L.

Offline Toby Galbraith

• Club Members
Re: MCC 2019 Scatter Rally
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 02:09:13 pm »
Does anyone need a driver/navigator for this? I thought I would be working and couldn't attend, but now I'm not and I can! Reply here or drop me a message...

Offline Tim Kingham

• Club Members
Re: MCC 2019 Rally
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 08:09:45 pm »
My pen is at the ready my maps are on the table it must be time for the postman

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 06:43:59 am »
Just such a shame that the event is so under-subscribed.  This has to be one of the toughest events you can compete in if you are of that mind, yet one of the most relaxing if you just want to enjoy the scenery and the ride/drive.  Something for everyone.

Offline Tim Kingham

• Club Members
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2019, 12:00:00 pm »
For those not yet with maps and only internet It took some time to find the prefix for maps 182 and 193 Map Ref its ST I cant see myself buying  a map 181 for just one point on the day list

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2019, 07:17:22 am »
Well, the scatter is nearly upon us so howís everyone doing?

Iíve worked out a sequence for the night stage and a sequence for the day stage, but blowed if I know whether theyíre the best sequences, or even if theyíre doable :o

The bikes still got to have the once-over.  I was going to look at changing the oil in the front forks, but Iím not going to have time.  The rear tyre is looking a bit squared off, but itíll do the rally and then itíll get changed.  Iíve still got to work out the best way to attach a fuel container to the bike.  I donít particularly like carrying fuel behind me; I feel like Iím sat next to an incendiary device :-\.

Letís hope for dry weather; Friday looks ok, according the Met office website. 

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
  • ring ting ting ting....
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2019, 06:42:25 am »
        I donít particularly like carrying fuel behind me; I feel like Iím sat next to an incendiary device :-\.

Use the green plastic containers from the petrol station. They are designed not to rupture on impact. Also if you slide one down the road they are pretty abrasion resistant. No sparks either so even if you managed to burst through one the ignition source would need to come from somewhere else.

All car fuel tanks are made from this same material.

It's the metal ones that make me uneasy and you are sat with your nuts up against that one.   ::)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 05:37:49 pm by Jason Potts »

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 07:10:07 am »
It's the metal ones that make me uneasy and you are sat with your nuts up against that one.   ::)
I feel really reassured now  :-[

I'll be using a plastic, 5 litre container and I think I've worked out how best to retain it on the bike.  I'm a bit anxious because I almost lost the container one year, riding across the Somerset levels.  To say the levels are bumpy is putting it mildly; they're anything but level  :D
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 06:39:14 pm by Paul K »

Offline Paul Wheatley

• Club Members
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2019, 09:23:09 am »

Mine aren't as hard as metal or plastic and I've got medical evidence to prove it!  :o
PW.

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2019, 06:44:41 am »
Let's see the evidence; a Doctor's letter, no photographs  :o

Offline Paul Wheatley

• Club Members
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2019, 08:09:06 am »
The doctor who saw the evidence "first hand" was in a military hospital and it was about thirty years ago, so I'm afraid if you need "hard" evidence you will have to carry out your own medical experiments on your own software ...  ;D
PW.

Offline Jonathan Laver

• Club Members
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2019, 06:10:59 pm »
The Scatter event is set close to mid-summers day.  The weather for our first four years events has been fine. Some of the control locations are set in very rural areas, where road surfaces could be described as ďnot goodĒ. It is during the winter months that Ann and I are out looking for Control locations. The road conditions then are at their worst and our modern car upon low profiles often struggles up over the back lanes of Exmoor. Come the summer months these same lanes are dry and dusty, with overgrown hedges. Current weather predictions for the weekend - looks like some rain.  It could be that the 2019 Scatter will show a completely new character to that previously experienced by all but the organisers ! Might suit the trialists out there ?
Jonathan L.

Offline Jonathan Laver

• Club Members
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2019, 06:59:40 pm »
[Scrutineering for the Night Scatter at Taunton south bound services. We will be using a corner of the “Car” car park at the front of the services. It will be arrowed from the pull off.

I note this because in the past we have used the commercial car park but not this year.

There is a 2 hour time limit upon the services monitored by cameras. This should be more that adequate but if you are going to excess 2 hours, to avoid a fine, contact the signing on desk ON THE NIGHT. This is the only chance to cancel the process.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 07:06:05 pm by Jonathan Laver »
Jonathan L.

Offline David (tufty) White

• Administrator
  • getting away with it so far
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2019, 08:54:19 pm »
Is this Rally different or the same as the Somerset Scatter?

I can't see anything on the website about a rally.

Offline Jonathan Laver

• Club Members
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2019, 05:58:16 pm »
Hi The full title of the event is The MCC Somerset Scatter Navigation Rally.  Its been called the Somerset Scatter by all - its one and the same.
Jonathan L.