Poll

Should the MCC Stop Doing Entry Packs and Results by Paper Mail?

Yes - happy to get my route book, programme and Triple electronically
10 (43.5%)
Yes - happy to get my route book and programme electronically
8 (34.8%)
No - paper only
5 (21.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Voting closed: May 19, 2019, 07:59:52 pm

Author Topic: Paperless Entries and Results  (Read 710 times)

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
Re: Paperless Entries and Results
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2019, 05:27:37 pm »
   As to why we still need Control Cards, someone on the trial organisation team must answer that.  It could be to do with the ease of compiling the results.

The only useful thing I can think is to stop competitors from leaving early at time controls.

Solve this problem and I think we could dispense with them.

Offline Mike Tucker

• Club Members
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2019, 08:47:40 pm »
Iíve been using electronic copies of route cards for years - run it on an Ipad on the dash board

Map plot would be handy too

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
  • AKA: Ratty.
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2019, 11:48:30 am »
I like paper copies. I like to laminate my numbers in advance and attach them to the bike well before the start.
Me too.

Paper copies of Triple are good for promoting the club; you can leave them in dentist and surgery waiting rooms, display them at shows, club nights, etc.

As to printing our Control Cards, thatís not practical for a long wet trial and would result in a pocket of papier-mache :-[.  Sure, the Control Card could be issued at the start, but imagine the longer queues as competitors complete the cards ::).

As to why we still need Control Cards, someone on the trial organisation team must answer that.  It could be to do with the ease of compiling the results.

Agree.

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2019, 02:47:31 pm »
.   Iíve been using electronic copies of route cards for years - run it on an Ipad on the dash board

Map plot would be handy too

Whaaaaaaaa???

I don't have an iPad or a dashboard. And I've never heard of a map pilot. This all sounds very expensive. How much will all this cost me?

Think I'll take the paper option thanks.  ;)

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2019, 03:18:54 pm »
The one thing that I have noticed is that everytime someone whips out their posh phone to show me some amusing clip, it always seems to have a broken screen.

I've never broken my makeshift sandwich box roadbook reader and beleave me, I've fallen off a lot. :o

I'd hate to invest a pile of money in a iPad gadget only to bust it on the first hill. And then not be able to continue on the trial because I don't have any means of navigating.

Sorry they don't get my vote.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
  • AKA: Ratty.
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2019, 07:32:02 pm »
Yep... Broke many a bit of bike on trials.... Lost me auxiliary light on Cutliffe lane once... Disappeared over the scenery I was inspecting closely, not found....  :)

Offline simonlewis

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2019, 11:30:10 am »
Just to add a quick cautionary word about paperless entries etc. I am currently having great difficlutly in recieved in any MCC email.  Simon Woodall has been patiently trying to sort this one out for me and there seems no clear reason why the club emails are bouncing, there is no spam filter setting or backlist that I can find which is causing the issue -  but they have been bouncing back for several weeks and continue to do so even with a change of email address (which seems very bizarre to my not-very-techy mind). I havn't had a NOTW email through for a month and if there was only paperless communication from the MCC about enties around the time of an event I wanted to be part of I would be stuck.
I know this is my issue but I think it might be bourne in mind as it's something that might happen to others without them initially being aware of it.
Meantime has anyone got any suggestions on how I can restore communication from this end? I run a Windows 8.1 lap top with Thunderbird for recieving email which up to now has not caused any other problem.

Offline Ian T

• Club Members
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2019, 04:18:08 pm »
Just to add a quick cautionary word about paperless entries etc. I am currently having great difficlutly in recieved in any MCC email.  Simon Woodall has been patiently trying to sort this one out for me and there seems no clear reason why the club emails are bouncing, there is no spam filter setting or backlist that I can find which is causing the issue -  but they have been bouncing back for several weeks and continue to do so even with a change of email address (which seems very bizarre to my not-very-techy mind). I havn't had a NOTW email through for a month and if there was only paperless communication from the MCC about enties around the time of an event I wanted to be part of I would be stuck.
I know this is my issue but I think it might be bourne in mind as it's something that might happen to others without them initially being aware of it.
Meantime has anyone got any suggestions on how I can restore communication from this end? I run a Windows 8.1 lap top with Thunderbird for recieving email which up to now has not caused any other problem.
Hi Simon,

Sorry to hear of your IT issues.

There will always be problems whatever the approach. By way of example, for a period of time I never received results through the post. It turned out that this was not a problem with the postage system but because my address was incorrect in the entry dispatcher's database.

Have you tried using a webmail account through a web browser like gmail?

Kind regards,

Ian.

Offline simonlewis

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2019, 12:05:57 am »
Thanks Ian I'll give that a go .