Author Topic: Lands End parts bin special  (Read 1472 times)

Offline CliveCook

• Club Members
Lands End parts bin special
« on: April 22, 2019, 08:04:13 pm »
Hi, thought you guy's might be interested in hearing about my chosen mount for my first attempt at the Lands End Trial.

The started life as a £65 1980 Kawasaki z400 twin. It languished around the back of the house for many years until it was built into a hardtail bobber. Much fun was had blatting around the South West for a few years. Then a friend announced he'd really like to do the Lands End Trial for his 50th Birthday. Count me in I said. Then I thought it would be pretty cool to build a bike especially for the trial. Luckily I had 6 months to do it in.
 I decided to use the little Kawasaki as a base. I run a small one man business fabricating parts for custom motorcycles so had a pretty good spares stash to raid. The back wheel came up first (a 14" TW125/200) and the style of the bike was all worked around this funky sized wheel. Cutting a long story short, I also modified and fitted the shock and swing-arm from a TW200. This had the advantage (I reckoned) on extending the wheelbase by about 2".
A rummage around turned up some Yamaha DT125 yokes and a pair of Honda VTR1000 forks (41mm). These went on with very little work and together with the new mono shock raised the bike 2". The standard z400 wheel went in up front but I converted it to run a single VTR floating disc. Once I'd offered up the Yamaha RD200 body kit I started getting really excited! The bike was coming along nicely, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to increase the power. This was done simply by fitting the whole top end from a z440 - a useful 10% more power.
The last main job was the exhaust system. Although I didn't think I'd really be doing any river crossings I thought a high level jobbie would look cool. As I was on a tight budget the exhaust was made from off cuts of stainless.

I got the bike back on the road in February time, and started then working on the trial extras. These were decided upon from You Tube clips and reading the club magazine, hand guards, heated grips, sump guard, pannier rack, spot lamp and mud flaps. These were finished (and the bike just about ran in) a few days before the trial. It was then that someone asked me how it went off road? " I dunno, I haven't tried it yet..." I said sheepishly.  :-\

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
Re: Lands End parts bin special
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 09:01:37 pm »
I saw this bike at Plusha, I thought it was awesome. I love to see this kind of creativity. Particularly liked the little RD tank. Good choice. How did you get on with the fat tyre. I always wondered how well one of those tw225's would do on a LDT. Did you get up crackington with it?

Guessing you had no shortage of torque with that 400 twin.

Please post some pictures I'd love to see it again. Cheers Jason

Offline CliveCook

• Club Members
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 10:23:17 pm »
Cheers Jason, thanks for that, glad you liked the bike.

As I say, it was a steep learning curve (ahem). Alas, I didn't get up Crackington, perhaps if I'd been brave and dropped the pressures lower it might have helped more. I did manage 3 clean sections, which may have been more luck than skill but it was great fun trying.

Yes, there was no shortage of torque which must have helped. Paul Khambatta has offered to stick some pics up for me (I'm not great with computers...)
Thanks again, Clive

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 07:46:25 am »
Here you go; pictures.

[/url]

Offline rick howell

• Club Members
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 09:16:43 am »
That's looks great. Yammy fatboy. What's it like on- and of-road? Whereabouts in the SW are you?

Offline CliveCook

• Club Members
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 06:52:24 pm »
Hi Rick, cheers. It's great on road - you don't notice the rear tyre at all. Off road, it coped well (all things considered). Ground clearance wasn't a problem and it behaved better than I could have hoped for.
I'm based in Torbay.
Thanks again, Clive

Offline Paul Wheatley

• Club Members
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 08:25:38 pm »
Looks very purposeful.

A Yamasaki?

Or a Kawaha?

;D
PW.

Offline rick howell

• Club Members
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2019, 08:47:24 pm »
Hi Rick, cheers. It's great on road - you don't notice the rear tyre at all. Off road, it coped well (all things considered). Ground clearance wasn't a problem and it behaved better than I could have hoped for.
I'm based in Torbay.
Thanks again, Clive
Will you go down to Paignton BN once it gets going again?

Offline CliveCook

• Club Members
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2019, 07:11:15 pm »
Hi Rick, yes, I'm sure we'll be popping down for the odd bike night. Be rude not to seeing at its only a mile away...

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
  • AKA: Ratty.
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2019, 01:03:06 pm »
Yakamawasahaki…….  :)
Posts by myself are personal posts and in no way are an official expression of the MCC. or the MCC Committee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_3KP7X8RQ4

Offline CliveCook

• Club Members
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2019, 06:56:20 pm »
Definitely a mouthful!  :P