Author Topic: Class O changes  (Read 1052 times)

Offline Martin Bell

• Club Members
Class O changes
« on: April 21, 2019, 09:16:00 pm »
Just wondered what competitors thought of Class O running on some of the main trial sections?
For what it's worth as a new(ish) competitor, I felt that it was a welcome extra challenge from last year's Class O.
We had an early number and hardly queued anywhere, but perhaps there was more congestion later?
Darracott was a great highlight, breaking down just after Hustyn less fun!   

Offline rick howell

• Club Members
Re: Class O changes
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2019, 10:22:08 pm »
As a main trial motorcyclist I was surprised to see class O cars queuing when we got to Darracott (after a long wait at Hackmarsh) and we then had quite a wait until a class O car had been towed up the hill. But it didn't delay us much.

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 08:17:19 am »
A class O motorcyclist told me they were all there an hour early. I don't like queue jumping but when they were very early and we were running a bit late and at the back....... i just followed the rest of the bikes filtering down the queue. Some places it was a bit tight squeezing the bike past, felt obliged to apologize to the car drivers and try to explain why were all barging to the front. Think most were ok with it.

But really enjoyed my first go at Class B. Only ever done Class O before.

Offline David (tufty) White

• Administrator
  • getting away with it so far
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 12:18:15 pm »
It's in the rules that bikes can pass cars in the queue for sections.

Don't worry Jason, you're too much of a gentleman.

Offline Les Bowler

• Club Members
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 09:03:19 am »
New timing seemed to work ok, I lost 3/4 hour with electrical hiccup at start,but gradually made up a bit of time. sections were a bit harder, especially Sutcombe. but thats what you get when ambition exceeds ability, route was a blinder, 250 BM went well, clocked 450 miles door to door, reccomend Gold Star scrambles seat from FEKED if it will fit on your chosen steed, P.S. great way to spend a birthday. Les Bowler

Offline Mark Gregg

• Club Members
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 05:27:23 pm »
So a positive reception from those that took part. Class O was planned to offer competion for those wishing an easier trial than the main trial route and using almost any  vehicle . Numbers were iniatlly strong but have slipped slightly. If you were a class 0 competitor why are you no longer and for those yet to dip their toes in class O and not yet trialling or recently " retired" from the main route what is the barrier?MCC trials are your trials let me know your ideas concerns barriers around class O and we ll consider each one and feedback. It's stil 5 months till the Edinburgh, and plenty of oportuiy for good ideas to be incorporated. For details of our plans for class O this far check out the latest issue of Triple.

Offline Lee Sample

• Club Members
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 06:41:34 am »
I used to compete in class O, but I was using it as a 'warm up' before getting into class 7 with the ranger.

at the time, i thought class O was a good challenge, but I wonder if including some of the main trials hills is seen by some as a step to far in the direction of the rough stuff?  i know there was some surprise from other competitors on the main trial that class O were going up xxx hill etc.

if i were to bring the kids on another LDT, i would certainly consider class O again, as it would potentially be less taxing on 'dad' whilst having to entertain the little cherubs in the back!

just my thoughts.

Lee

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 07:09:02 am »
If you were a class 0 competitor why are you no longer and for those yet to dip their toes in class O and not yet trialling or recently " retired" from the main route what is the barrier?
Potential damage to my car was the main reason for entering my FWD three-wheeler in class 0.  There was also a good chance I would turn it over reversing down Simms for example, plus, it may not have had the power for some sections :-\.

Bikes are also more resilient than cars when it comes to the main trial sections.  Drop the bike on a section and most likely you'll just pick it up.  Even cleaning the section in a car could result in damage to the suspension. My Beetle is ok for the main trial because it has trailing link front suspension and the car has been raised. If I were to compete in a car with McPherson struts on the front, I'd have to give a lot more consideration to entering the main trial ???.

But that's all academic; I enjoy competing on a bike in the main trial too much ;D.

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 07:26:25 am »
I can see class O becoming  quite popular now if it's basically the main trial but without the 100 miles of road work to the start. Quite a few people have been calling for that to be dropped, and i think you might have inadvertently done just that. I think this sounds like a good idea giving competitors this option just like it's a good idea providing an option not to do the night section on the exeter. Just don't time it so that they get to sections before the main trail bikes pleeeeaaazssseeee   ;D ;D ;D

I usually do class O but for the first time on this year's LE I did main trail Class B. What a step change. I found it very hard especially all the restarts. Enjoyed it though. The reason I stopped doing class O was I wanted to up the challenge . and i didn't feel I was part of the main trial as such in class O either. All of the bikes were 2 hours up the road from me and I never got to see any of the famous hills.