Author Topic: Looking forward to Simms  (Read 1869 times)

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
Looking forward to Simms
« on: December 27, 2018, 07:42:16 pm »
Went out on the bike and had a little wobble round yesterday. I'll be having another practice on new year's day too if I get the chance. I've only ever done Exeter Class O before, once on a bike and once in a car. I'm doing Class B this time and as I've never done Simms before I'm really looking forward to it.

Epic yay or epic nay, who cares. Bring it on.  ;D

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
  • AKA: Ratty.
Re: Looking forward to Simms
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 09:03:53 pm »
And after Simms you have Tipley………….
Posts by myself are personal posts and in no way are an official expression of the MCC. or the MCC Committee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_3KP7X8RQ4

Offline Tony Bishop

• Club Members
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 04:46:27 pm »
And then Slippery Sam with all that slimey, sticky red Devonian mud  ;D ;D

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 05:11:51 pm »
....... as I've never done Simms before I'm really looking forward to it.
And provided I don't fall over in the restart :(, so am I :).  Weather forecast looks reasonable at the moment too.

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 07:51:21 pm »
And provided I don't fall over in the restart :(, so am I :)
Wait for the Marshall, add some revs, up on the pegs, let the clutch out and let her have it right  ;D

Tricky part is keeping your feet up and staying rubber side down. ;D

Lean back a bit I guess. And don't forget to smile and enjoy yourself. That's what I'll be doing. 8)

The way I see it is, if you get to the top without making a mistake you'll be a hero in the pub later. If you mess it up you'll be a hero on YouTube later. It's a win win. ;D

Offline rick howell

• Club Members
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2018, 04:57:13 pm »
Remember to stop at the top (after "section ends" of course) then celebrate, or berate, depending on your success.
It might also be worth mentioning that going downhill in a controlled manner at Simms is much more tricky than going up :o especially higher up.

I was out yesterday in Debbun giving the old Suzy a try with no less than Andy "it's easy-peasy, just a few stones" Petherick and although we didn't venture near any of the Exeter hills* I can report that the going was pretty muddy and greasy so be prepared for low tyre pressures. Andy "what's the matter with you; I've done this on the outfit with a flat tyre and a bag of ballast" Petherick was running something like 8psi R, and 12 F on his DRZ and true to form, never put a foot wrong. If we get a guts of rain before friday it might help wash off the leaves and guck a smidgen.

*For anyone who knows the area we did Fig tree, and North Creedy, and various others from mild to cor'blimey in a 60 mile lane muncher and I've beaten my bash plate to a new frame-hugging shape. The only spoiler for Mr P was the complete lack of hot pasties available in Tivvy. >:(

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2018, 11:40:47 pm »

Remember to stop at the top (after "section ends" of course) then celebrate, or berate, depending on your success.

Yes, learnt this the hard way on BH2 this year. :-\

going downhill in a controlled manner at Simms is much more tricky than going up :o especially higher up.

I hear you Chewy but I've never had a problem with this on a bike. In the car however, hand brake on, plus foot on the brake, going backwards and still picking up speed. I've been close to crapping it on a few occasions. :-[

My first thoughts have always been for the safety of my passenger. If I screw up and they get hurt.... Dosnt bare thinking about.

Think that's why I've always felt safer on two wheels. Just me, and if it goes pear... I just bail. Simples ;)

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2018, 08:37:12 am »
My first thoughts have always been for the safety of my passenger. If I screw up and they get hurt.... Dosnt bare thinking about.
I know what you mean.  When I was running my three-wheeler, which had no roll bar, I always told my daughter (navigator) if it looks like a dodgy descent backwards, get out the car and I'll reverse on my own :-[.  Fortunately, we never did Simms.

Offline Alastair Queen

• Club Members
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2018, 10:28:03 am »
I know what you mean.  When I was running my three-wheeler, which had no roll bar, I always told my daughter (navigator) if it looks like a dodgy descent backwards, get out the car and I'll reverse on my own :-[.  Fortunately, we never did Simms.

A wise idea, but, have you ever tried getting out of a car that's stopped on a near vertical slope? :)

Offline Jonathan Laver

• Club Members
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2018, 07:54:00 pm »
You will be fine Jason. By the time you get to Simms you will have ridden up some sections which are just as challenging. You need to lose the car competitors attitude to this section and just ride up but watch your line and balance at the top. Stephens comment about Tipley is on the money. You could have vegetation to consider when choosing the line you are going to take.
Slippery Sam does not have to be attacked until you have seen around the 1st bend or you it will be too late to choose a line.
Jonathan L.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
  • AKA: Ratty.
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2019, 11:39:07 pm »
Tillerton seemed to have caused a few problems this year... Await results....  :)
Posts by myself are personal posts and in no way are an official expression of the MCC. or the MCC Committee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_3KP7X8RQ4