Author Topic: Beetle Tyres - Optimum Size  (Read 6493 times)

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
Beetle Tyres - Optimum Size
« on: June 14, 2016, 01:38:48 pm »
What's the most suitable size tyre for a trials Beetle with a 1300 engine on MCC events?

I've currently got 155x15 tyres on the front because I took off the wheel spacers, then couldn't get sufficient steering lock with the 165x15 tyres that were originally on the front.  The front I'm happy with now.

It's the rear tyres that raise the question.  They're currently 165x15 with I assume a standard ratio differential. The standard tyres are 155x15 so the current set-up with 165 tyres means the Beetle is over-geared, but with the slightly more ground clearance that the 165 offers. Would I be better going to 155 tyres on the rear to restore the standard gearing, but lose that little bit more ground clearance?  Does it matter?  Also 155 tyres all round would save me carrying three spare wheels (two for the rears and one for the fronts).

Offline Myke Pocock

• Club Members
Re: Beetle Tyres - Optimum Size
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 09:14:28 pm »
Hello Paul
I dont realy want to say this but you may get more opinion if you post your question on Michael Leetes site than here. Unfortunately there doesnt appear to be much traffic on this one at the moment.

Offline Simon Woodall

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 12:41:19 pm »
I would stick with the 165's, almost everyone runs this.   I would gamble on not carrying a 155 spare as the likelihood of a puncture is very low unless you drop the fronts below 15psi - don't!   In extremis you can always put a 165 on the front, you won't really notice much different on the road.  Or you if you are worried about the exactitude of the law, you could carry one of each - again, with a 1300 motor you won't drop the pressures that low so the chances of two punctures are negligible.   Much better to invest in a Stenor Bead Breader, there's one on e-bay at the moment and they do come up regularly so you could do a tube swap.

PS to Myke Pocock - Its nice to know that I can always rely on you for a positive stance!

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 04:59:06 pm »
Ok, 165's it is then.  I did carry a spare 155 tyre (on the back seat) for the fronts on the last Lands End. I took my motorcycle tyre bead breaker with me, but it works ok on the beetle tyres.  I might not bother carrying a spare 155 on the next trial then; It'll keep the weight down.

I had a look at Michael Leete's web page, but the postings seemed to be one continuous stream of postings. It took ages to download the earliest information. Next time I accessed the page, I got asked to log into facebook, which I don't do.

Offline Myke Pocock

• Club Members
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 09:37:35 pm »
Simon, I was only stating the bleedin obvious! I would love this site to take off but at present it just isnt happening and my advice was so that the questioner may get  more opinion rather than just one at present. Perhaps a bit of concerted PR work required eh?

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
  • AKA: Ratty.
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 11:53:42 pm »
165's all round....

Offline Simon Woodall

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2016, 12:57:50 pm »
If you are concerned about lock, be aware that the steering stops are adjustable.
Have a look at the front axle by the steering box.   Most trialers remove the adjusting bolts completely, at which point the wheels should rub on the inner arches, giving maximum possible lock.   Just remember to put the bolts back for the MoT!

Offline Sam Holmes

• Club Members
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2016, 02:46:18 pm »
165 all round all the way. I suspect that what ever size tires you run, a 1300 will always seem over geared on some hills. Ground clearance is important - have never seen any Class 4 Beetles on 155.

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2016, 08:24:04 am »
Regards the steering stops, there aren't any!  A previous owner has removed the bracket so nowhere to fit the stop bolts. I can only assume the previous MoT tester didn't didn't look for stops. Perhaps the previously installed wheel spacers moved the tyres sufficiently away from the chassis.

So do I take a chance and hope my MoT tester doesn't spot that the bracket is no longer there, or install a bracket?  If I remember correctly, there's not a lot of room to access the front axle while in situ.

Offline Jonathan Laver

• Club Members
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2016, 09:46:38 pm »
Re the MOT inspector - you might be giving them more credit than is due. I am sure most MOT inspectors will not be looking for missing steering lock brackets. They will however be checking the steering upon full lock in both directions. This is to ensure the road wheels/tyres
do not foul the bodywork, for any stress upon steering/suspension components and brake pipes for length and route. Quite a few classics cars I MOT have their steering lock stops missing but still pass what is after all a very basic inspection by someone who is not familiar with every type of old car.
Jonathan L.