Author Topic: Brand New Bikes for around 3.5K  (Read 1415 times)

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
  • AKA: Ratty.
Re: Brand New Bikes for around 3.5K
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 11:55:25 am »
They look good.... However I would be very careful in buying an AJP... No official UK importer or back up service any more.

The so called two year guarantee was worthless......

My 250 Trail and 240 Ultrapassar were a load of trouble and I sold both after one year....

Very bad slow running on the 250 Not sorted... Needed a different Petrol pump (up grade) other wise it stopped every time you went over a bump... AJP did not pay for....
Bowed fuel tank after 50 miles on the 240. (AJP sent a new tank but would not pay for the labour or ancillary parts.) then the starter motor dropped two teeth into the engine and AJP would not pay for parts or labour..... 

The agent: Freestyle in Crowborough were useless to the point that they said they had fixed things and everything was running ok on the 240 and they had not even removed the petrol tank.

On the 250 they said they had re tuned the bike and it ran exactly the same.... In fact they gave it back to me with the petrol pipe not connected..... Avoid.....

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 11:58:49 am »
For a neat 125 have a look at the Hanway……. https://www.motogb.co.uk/model/Hanway-Scrambler-125
 :)

Offline David (tufty) White

• Administrator
  • getting away with it so far
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 12:20:20 pm »
Looks like I had a lucky escape.  I was going to buy an Ultrapassar from a place in Long Eaton. 

Sat on one, told the salesman I wanted one, but he wouldn't sell me one.  Ended up getting a Beta Alp 4.0 which was a good bike, for the money, although it has a lot of cheap parts on it.  I would probably have been better getting something second hand.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 05:17:54 pm »
Yep.... Beta any day....  :)

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 05:19:49 pm »
I wanted one, but he wouldn't sell me one.

Why not? Intriguing….

Offline Paul Wheatley (Wheaters)

• Club Members
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 05:41:23 pm »
Having been involved with helping out my brother in law, who took up motorcycling again as therapy post cancer treatment, I'm more than a little sceptical of the quality of some of the materials used in these bikes of dubious manufacture and they aren't necessarily the bargain they first might appear to be.

He bought a brand new Chinese 250 "Enduro" lookalike. That bike rolled gently off its side stand in his wooden shed and the footrest snapped clean off, as did the clutch lever. "Monkey metal". The fuel tap kept failing and blocking up; he had two new taps fitted but they were all similar and the bike kept stopping out on the road, the last thing he needed because at the time he wasn't in a fit state to push it very far. He sold it with less than a thousand miles on it and bought a nearly new RE Bullet 500 instead, with which he is now very happy.
Cheers, PW.

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 09:25:25 pm »
Yes there are some lumps of Chinese poo out there but I do like the look of those SWM's.

The MASH bikes look good too.  Supposedly based on the Honda xbr engines of the 1980's

Also I agree with Paul, the Royal Enfield's are a good choice but are 4k. The Himalaya looks like a great bike. Can anyone give us a honest review regards LDT application. I know that there have been a few competitors using these machines.

Offline Paul Wheatley (Wheaters)

• Club Members
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 10:31:48 pm »
A good, used RE 350 Bullet can be bought for a lot less than £4k (divide it by 2 and take a few hundred off).

Been out on my own 2004, Iron barrelled 350 Bullet "plodder" this afternoon and ventured over a couple of Nottinghamshire byways - great fun. Did 100 miles on about 5 litres of cheap unleaded.
Cheers, PW.

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2019, 07:00:06 am »
.  A good, used RE 350 Bullet can be bought for a lot less than £4k (divide it by 2 and take a few hundred off).

Yeh you can get some nice looking low mile'ers for under 2k. But I was just looking at what you could get brand new.

There is a bike shop called F2 Motorcycles who are importing 350 JAWA's but these are just over 4k too so didn't include them above either.

100 miles on 5 litres is impressive. :P

Offline David (tufty) White

• Administrator
  • getting away with it so far
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2019, 09:19:34 am »
I wanted one, but he wouldn't sell me one.

Why not? Intriguing….

I think he was just interested in selling me a KTM.

Offline Alastair Queen

• Club Members
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2019, 01:01:15 pm »
.  A good, used RE 350 Bullet can be bought for a lot less than £4k (divide it by 2 and take a few hundred off).

Yeh you can get some nice looking low mile'ers for under 2k. But I was just looking at what you could get brand new.

There is a bike shop called F2 Motorcycles who are importing 350 JAWA's but these are just over 4k too so didn't include them above either.

100 miles on 5 litres is impressive. :P

F2 will flog one a 2-stroke twin 350 Jawa for under 4 grand, on the road.....comes with fork gaiters and full chain guard as standard....leg shields are extra!   :)

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2019, 01:42:53 pm »
Here's another manufacturer to look at, https://muttmotorcycles.com/pages/mutt-motorcycles .  They do a 125 cc and a 250 cc.  The 125 engines are Chinese, based on a Japanese design (Suzuki or Honda).  I don't know about the 250 engines.  There's a road test of a 125 at https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/bikes/mutt-motorcycles/mutt-mongrel-125 .

A riding mate had a 125 Mutt, which I rode while he tried out my W650.  I found the 125 terrifying :o.  I'm used to 350 cc and above engines.  Struggling on an 'A' road with a large lorry in the mirrors was no fun.  More than happy to hand it back after 10 miles or so :).

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2019, 03:00:50 pm »
F2 are good... One chap importing Chinese and Russian Bikes.... I got Liuda's WK Army 125 from there...  :)

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2019, 04:19:45 pm »
.  F2 are good... One chap importing Chinese and Russian Bikes.... I got Liuda's WK Army 125 from there...  :) 

Yeh the chap's name is Dave Angle. Really nice helpful guy. He wouldn't sell you anything that wasn't suitable for your needs.

.   Struggling on an 'A' road with a large lorry in the mirrors was no fun

Yeh that's why I only listed bikes over 350cc. Doing an LDT on a 125 is a bit of a struggle. Been there and got the finishing certificate.  ;D

It can be done but it's a different kind of challenge.