Author Topic: Antique Road Book Reader  (Read 916 times)

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
Antique Road Book Reader
« on: February 19, 2019, 08:53:58 pm »
Rick Howell sent me an email the other day telling me about this old roadbook reader he come across.

Rick's words :-

I've attached some pics of a dinky little route holder from 1962 or thereabouts - probably mounted in a car rather than a bike as it's not particularly watertight. It has an AA route (glued in) from Dundee to Plymouth - the only bit of motorway is the Preston bypass to Warrington - both route instructions and map - yet the window is just 120mm x 40mm. It seems to have a fitting for a sidelamp type bulb holder above for the darker hours. The whole thing is a delight.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
  • AKA: Ratty.
Re: Antique Road Book Reader
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 09:53:16 pm »
I use a Road Book with winders in the car... It makes it much easer for both the navigator and driver to see the route instructions....  :)
Posts by myself are personal posts and in no way are an official expression of the MCC. or the MCC Committee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_3KP7X8RQ4

Offline rick howell

• Club Members
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 03:24:37 pm »
Thanks for posting this item up, Jason.

I think the brackets have been mullered over the years and should be more or less parallel with the back with a slight offset to clear the fixings. Ditto with the lamp holder, I seem to recall seeing that  a small 6v lamp would be painted partly black so that shone onto the page and not into the eyes of the reader or driver.

It's full of AA details, boxes along the route, offices, etc so I assume it was one of those routes that both the AA and the RAC provided to members. (My mother took 10 driving tests, finally passed, and decided almost immediately to take us kids (this is about '68) in a 850 mini from Exeter to Manchester. She joined the RAC, and a nice man, a very nice man, turned up, in uniform, and provided her with a route - away from any nasty motorways - through Bath, Stroud, Tewkesbury, Kidderminster, Market Drayton, Audlem and Knutsford. Fortunately for us our destination was Cheadle Hulme so we avoided the horrors of Manchester and my mum's erratic city driving. Gawd bless 'er).

Well, I have a '54 Ford Pop that would be perfect for the Dundee to Plymouth "trial" - minus the nasty motorways of course. We would just need to find the tram terminus in Dundee first....

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 09:52:32 pm »
Rick if you can take the route sheet out and photograph it I'll post that too.

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 04:50:15 pm »
some more pics from Rick.  ;)

Offline rick howell

• Club Members
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 07:14:15 pm »
Once again, thanks Jason.

What I can't get my head round is the route reads down the sheet, but the map is the other way, it follows up the sheet - a hangover from those 17th c maps of routes from "London to St Albans in the Countye of Hertfordshyre" days.