Author Topic: Clothing / layers  (Read 1148 times)

Offline jenconnor

Clothing / layers
« on: February 19, 2019, 12:56:25 pm »
Hello,

Not really a bike preparation question (mod feel free to move to the correct sub-forum) but a personal preparation question.

How do you ladies and gents layer up for the overnight events? Whilst I have done a fair amount of riding and commuting, I'm finding miles in the night to be a chilly experience.

What's the secret of being comfortable, the overwear or underwear?

Much appreciated
Jen

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
  • AKA: Ratty.
Re: Clothing / layers
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 01:19:13 pm »
Jen. Hi.

Base Layer of Long Sleeve and Long leg Thermals.

Sometimes a heated Waistcoat on over these.

Second Layer of Fleece top and Base.

Third layer Motorcycle Jacket and trousers. (Textile Recommend Rukka Armadillo) as the rain runs off the out side. Many other Makes and some other Rukka models rely on a waterproof membrane inside the outer layer and this only soaks up the water and makes the outer layer very heavy.

And if you want an ex army gortex jacket and trousers over the top. But make sure you can move.

If you get too warm you can always take the mid layer off and bungee it to the bike (Or put it in a pannier).

Gortex gloves (two pairs). and make sure they are the type that the inner fingers are stitched in so they don't pull out when you take yer gloves off.

Full face helmet and a Balacalava under with a Buff covering chin and neck. Fog city insert in the visor with anti fog wipes and rain ex on the outside.

Waterproof boots a couple oif sizes larger than normal with fleece socks.

Hope this helps.  :)

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 01:21:24 pm »
Consider Gortex Sailing clothing if you cant get Bike Clothing that is suitable....  :)

Offline jenconnor

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 01:41:14 pm »
Thanks for the speedy reply!

I think I'm already mostly there (base/inter/outer)and was curious if there was something I'd missed.

The heated vest sounds delightful but I'm not sure if the XTrainer's Italian electrics would stand it.

Much appreciated.
Jen

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 04:49:36 pm »
No problem.

Others may have different solutions, but any weather below 8 degrees c on a bike for any length of time is not particularly pleasant.

Avoid cotton....

And possibly wool as apart from the allergy or possible itching aspect, once wet will not dry out quickly and becomes very heavy.

Also big handguards help a lot.

Best to keep the core tempreature. Heated gloves or grips on their own make matters worse on a long ride, as they dilate the arms blood vessels and the core looses heat quicker. Same for heated Socks.

:)

Offline rick howell

• Club Members
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 06:42:12 pm »
I find that my legs above the knee get coldest and have resorted to stuffing free newspapers down my over trousers on one occasion.

I have definitely found that wearing too many gloves or socks will constrict the blood flow and, for me, result in cold hands and/or feet (Exeter 2011 or thereabouts down to -11degC)

On the Exeter this year I wore a one piece rain suit over a lined Enduro jacket and lined Enduro trousers, with fleece, sweatshirt, merino long sleeve shirt with cotton T under, and long john type running pants under the trousers. With a Buff neckerchief, balaclava, full face adventure lid, silk inner gloves, crappy cheap fabric riding gloves (plus a spare pair stowed away), and gore-tex overmitts I have never been so toasty. All the removal options are there as well if it gets too warm (as it can do on the LE) so bear that in mind.

I like cotton next to my skin if possible, being a delicate flower, otherwise I generate enough static to run a set of auxiliary lights. I think light layers are the key.

And 10 yds of trying to bumpstart your bike guarantees heat.

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 08:38:03 pm »
i just use a standard hi vis work coat.

windproof, waterproof, warm and cheap. and if you are stuck in a dark lane trying to fix your bike other road users will see you and hopefully not run over you.

Offline John Kenny

• Club Members
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2019, 06:57:33 pm »
What's the secret of being comfortable, the overwear or underwear?

https://youtu.be/QJPYt9W_prI

PS If my bike made sufficient power I'd have heated pants, grips and insoles.

I buy handwarmers by the box and tape them to “strategic places” - sometimes I get so hot I can’t go indoors...

Offline Tony Ferrari (Nomad)

• Club Members
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2019, 12:29:32 am »
Thanks for the speedy reply!

I think I'm already mostly there (base/inter/outer)and was curious if there was something I'd missed.

The heated vest sounds delightful but I'm not sure if the XTrainer's Italian electrics would stand it.

Much appreciated.
Jen

You can get heated vests that operate from a battery pack, obviously limited life compared to one wired to the bike but an option for those with dodgy electrics ;D

Offline David (tufty) White

• Administrator
  • getting away with it so far
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2019, 10:57:34 pm »

You can get heated vests that operate from a battery pack, obviously limited life compared to one wired to the bike but an option for those with dodgy electrics ;D

You'd probably only really need it at night, and all the garages that sell petrol will sell batteries.   ;)