Author Topic: Reproofing Outer Clothing  (Read 952 times)

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
Reproofing Outer Clothing
« on: February 13, 2019, 08:20:05 am »
Anyone got any recommendations based on personal experience for reproofing jackets and trousers?

In the past, I've sent a pair of trousers away for reproofing to a company recommended in NOTW; cost £30; got them back; they still leaked :(.

Also tried DIY stuff; in the washing machine; no detergent residue present; followed the instructions; still leaked :(.

Offline David (tufty) White

• Administrator
  • getting away with it so far
Re: Reproofing Outer Clothing
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 12:28:22 pm »
I've followed the instructions for Gore-tex stuff and similar.

I wash with Nikwax Tech wash (after cleaning detergent and softener tray)

Then wash with Nikwax TX Direct reproofing stuff.

Then either tumble dry or iron with a warm (not hot) iron.  The heat does something to make the waterproofing work properly.

https://www.gore-tex.co.uk/gore-tex-wash-instructions

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
  • AKA: Ratty.
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 02:00:38 pm »
The only time I have washed waterproofs and Nickwaxed them as per instructions they still leaked.

It appears that the detergent gets into the fabric at a molecular level and once in is very difficult to remove.

I now just brush the dirt off and leave to air dry.

I understand that a tumble dry without washing may restore Gortex. However not tried that...

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 06:56:48 pm »
The only thing I've ever reproofed is my belstaf wax jacket.

Never washed it. I just keep squirting nikwax on it. It's only good for about 30 minutes of light rain and it will start letting in.

If I think the rain is setting in for the duration I'll put my waterproof coat and trousers on over the top.

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 08:19:55 pm »
   There is something appealing about waxed cotton. 

Hahahaha and after your first 30 minutes in a downpour is when your nostalgia will run out.  ;D

If it's looking bad i usually stop, dismount, and get my rubber waterproofs on over the top. Leave it too long and you run the risk of getting that sinking cold wet patch in the nether reagion.  :(

I'm sure you've all had that sensation. Bbbrrrrrrrrrrr

Offline rick howell

• Club Members
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 08:44:05 pm »
I don't know if this helps but with walking gear often the fabric surface when new is treated with a very hydrophilic coating that stops the fabric "wetting out" - the water pills and runs off. Washing with Nikwax doesn't seem to restore that pilling.

So maybe a silicon treatment - such as good old Fabsil - gently over the surface will restore the pilling effect and give the Gore-tex a chance to work effectively. Obviously this should be viewed as a last resort before binning.

Otherwise I layer up, so wearing an all in one suit over a shower proof jacket and water resistant trousers. In warmer moments the suit gets rolled up and stowed. Ditto with Gore-tex army- type over mitts often worn over trials gloves. Worked a treat on the Exeter.

Offline Paul Wheatley (Wheaters)

• Club Members
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 08:53:07 pm »

There is something appealing about waxed cotton.

Kind regards,

Ian.

Yes, from previous experience of wearing a Belstaff Trialsmaster waxed jacket for my daily commute on my BSA 250 in the 1970s/80s.... some might call it appealing.

But I'd call it "cold and clammy"! Same goes for leather gauntlets, which were the only real choice back then. Mine were regularly soaked in "Neatsfoot" oil - whatever that was but they still leaked water.

Thanks goodness for modern bike clothing!  ;D
Cheers, PW.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
  • AKA: Ratty.
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 11:35:43 pm »
Gortex will still leak if enough pressure is put on it.....

Leather dressing every outing helps on errrr Leather....

Mars Oil used to be the best and did not rot stitching as did some other products....

Offline rick howell

• Club Members
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2019, 07:09:55 pm »
There's a fundamental issue with Gore-Tex that depends on the climate on the inside as well as the climate on the outside. If you've just hauled your machine out of a boggy hole and are steaming inside, then hopefully the vapour molecules (smaller than water) will cross the Gore-tex layer and condense on the inside of your jacket and not come back to you - but if anything affects the layer size/composition/continuity in any way; tears, salts, cleaning fluids, etc then the water will wick back into the inside and if the outside is soaked then that will wick through as well.

An outdoors activity instructor I knew reckoned he would buy decent Gore-Tex jackets with a couple of years minimum guarantee and would always find they would leak within the guarantee period - they expect garments to be used on an intermittent basis and certainly not as intensively as he used them. I have found fabric walking boots particularly prone to failure in a very short period.

I think Gore-Tex is fine initially but it takes very little to compromise it. Once compromised there's not much, if anything, that'll fix it. Keeping the water away then is the only option.